What's your favorite 70cc saw?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
9:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dolmar PS-7310 with SLR gutted and enlarged factory exhaust outlet with factory spark screen in place.

She is reliable, handles well, has good fuel mileage, features fast "in cut" chain speed, has enough torque to pull a 36" full complement round filed 3/8" chisel tooth B&C setup buried noodling beech all day long.

Hands down the Dolmar PS-7310 is the 70cc queen, given she is truly 70cc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Dolmar PS-7900 just as well - but she is a beast that only comes out to play, or when I want to leave local Stihlheads drop their jaws in disbelief of her sheer power. :cool:
They have a lot more torque than the other “true” 70cc offerings.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 6400 gained 27% simply by removing the catalytic converter and various baffles (basically converting it into the old style pre cat galvanized muffler).
The gain in torque was remarkable.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They ran a 7900 with a choked 6400 cat muffler on it. Real accurate example of the model :rolleyes:. Couldn’t care less anyway. Lol
If you couldn't care less, then why post about it Mason ?

A 6400 gained 27% simply by removing the catalytic converter and various baffles (basically converting it into the old style pre cat galvanized muffler).
The gain in torque was remarkable.
How "simple" was it to remove that cat ??
Isnt modifying any muffler considered a muffler mod ??

Want to compare "muffler mods" with the 462 and 500i vs that setup of yours ???

By the way ......... babying the saw into dawgs is very evident in a video

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The 462 might beat it, or not. But, the price disparity can't be ignored either. A bit similar to Echo's saws. Your mileage may vary. With regard to the last video, why does it matter how much leverage he was providing? If he needed to dig it in at first to get where he wanted to be, but not after the mod, does it matter that it wasn't a strictly scientific test? If the saw ran better, he was happy, and it's all on video, why would you criticize that?

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 might beat it, or not. But, the price disparity can't be ignored either. A bit similar to Echo's saws. Your mileage may vary. With regard to the last video, why does it matter how much leverage he was providing? If he needed to dig it in at first to get where he wanted to be, but not after the mod, does it matter that it wasn't a strictly scientific test? If the saw ran better, he was happy, and it's all on video, why would you criticize that?
My eyes and ears agree.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the 462 keeps on going then maybe the Makita 7xxx series will have an equal, that we wont know for some years yet, but on price reliability and power to get the job done, the Makita equivilent has it all.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite Stihl 1128 series depends on the task. For my purposes, the ms440 is a lively, aggressive firewood saw. The ms460 is a torquey, dependable, well-mannered forestry saw that will stand up to the large oak snags that the gypsy moths have left. From a maintenance/repair standpoint, the ms460 has a better oil pump design and isn't as fussy to tune as the ms440, which I've found to have a more erratic idle. What would likely be my favorite 70cc class saw, if I could justify it, would be a Husky 572xp because of smooth operation, improved fuel economy, stronger main bearings, AT, torquey power combined with reported reliability.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m still waiting for Mason to reply, while we wait ......

“Why would you criticize that” ??

Compare apples to apples and show the “remarkable” torque gain. Spouting off % gains with different kinds of cuts isn’t keeping the playing field level

If someone is happy, just say so ....... making specific statements and expecting everyone to just swallow it as we watch the difference in how the cut is made just makes for a video for fanboys & audiences.

I’d be fine if he would have just said it was stronger, and he can put up any video he darn well pleases. He’s grown alot since some of us watched him begin, but there’s no point in trying to make the video fit his agenda.

Lastly, the statement “simply removing the cat”............. yeah, it’s not really that simple to most. Again, here, I’d be fine if he just said “removing the cat gave a good gain”

Last edited:

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite Stihl 1128 series depends on the task. For my purposes, the ms440 is a lively, aggressive firewood saw. The ms460 is a torquey, dependable, well-mannered forestry saw that will stand up to the large oak snags that the gypsy moths have left. From a maintenance/repair standpoint, the ms460 has a better oil pump design and isn't as fussy to tune as the ms440, which I've found to have a more erratic idle. What would likely be my favorite 70cc class saw, if I could justify it, would be a Husky 572xp because of smooth operation, improved fuel economy, stronger main bearings, AT, torquey power combined with reported reliability.
I agree the 572 just ticks all the boxes for me and it was so close to the 462 in that dyno test, from memory 1.10th of a hp and the most power per cc . In running the 572 I like the torque and the thought that in hard woods that stronger bottom end will give it a longer life.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of the saws are good, but all of them are also different, so some of the comparisons are like apples to oranges.

The Makita may be the cheapest, but it does not have a computer … you still need to carry a screwdriver … old school!

I keep hearing how rugged the Husky is, but if I keep my chain sharp and don't abuse it I'll bet my 462s will last a long, long time. Some people say 10 mm 044s don't last also, but mine will turn 28 this Dec. Likely if I often tried to run it with a dull chain, with the chain brake on, with a lean tune, or with marginal oil at 50:1 it would not still be here, but that is not what I do.

Also, my 462s are a good deal lighter than either the Makita or Husky 572s, so that keeps me running longer also!

As I have said in the past, limbing a yard tree (where all the brush has to be moved) is a lot different than felling trees in the woods, so there is nothing wrong with people preferring different saws that meet their needs. I usually plan to keep my saws for a long time, so the cost is not my biggest concern.

We are fortunate to have good choices, and each person can choose what meets their needs/wants, etc. If I worked with a 28" (or longer) bar all day long, I likely would choose a different power head, but most of my stuff can be done with 20 + 24" bars, although I have longer ones if needed.

Now I also have a wrap handle 661 (done by Kevin - MoparMyWay) w/a 32" light bar and 404 chain. It is not a combo I would have done myself, but the more I use it, the more I like it! I'm sure I won't need it often, but it is nice to know it is there when I need it!

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm more of a Husky Fan, than otherwise at this point, but I was raised on McCulloch and Stihl. I will own an 044, as I like them better than the 440's. I already have a terriffic 372xp and MS660, so I don't need a MS460. I don't need any more saws really, but If I buy any more, it'll be a clean 044, maybe a 572xp, a MS461/2, or a Dolmar 7900, and at least 1x 6 cube saw.

For my usage, I could get the 7900, and send 372 down the road, but I don't see the point in it. There really isn't a bad choice. Hell a built MS441 and the new Echo would be alright too.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makita F...T..W....
Yes i have to say they really do make a fine pro class saw, or i guess dolmar for that matter.. i envy the 80cc class and its weight! Seems to fit perfectly between 70-80 from what i have been told. Now if only i could get my hands on one and try it for myself :)

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag