What’s saw is in the package? An ooerr44 arctic

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could do with some help, as I don’t want to break any of the arctic wires. There’s two bit it I need fo feed throu casings plastic and mag. I will add the pics .
1st sorry it a bit blurry. Marked in red won’t go where the yellow line is broken (throu the case) how does this come a part
2F1FF771-BADB-46CF-8799-0A317BAEBD34.jpeg
The connectors in blue, do I have to cut the covers (heat shrinks down on) to pull them apart...the yellow line is the wire/s that have to go throu the handle/tank housing. I need to take off the front handle. And the yellow line goes to it.
1069BDC6-43FE-4D67-9ED5-5D707B375E54.jpeg

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could do with some help, as I don’t want to break any of the arctic wires. There’s two bit it I need fo feed throu casings plastic and mag. I will add the pics .
1st sorry it a bit blurry. Marked in red won’t go where the yellow line is broken (throu the case) how does this come a part
View attachment 207056
The connectors in blue, do I have to cut the covers (heat shrinks down on) to pull them apart...the yellow line is the wire/s that have to go throu the handle/tank housing. I need to take off the front handle. And the yellow line goes to it.
View attachment 207057
Shrink tubing is your friend.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Measure the piston that just don't seem right that's a tun of slop makes me think someone put the wrong piston in it.

I will measure the slug, but I was really just pointing out the wear on the skirt. If you look at the unchewed side (intake) there are two dents. I guess where the piston was tilted on the down stroke and hit the crank. I will edit the pic in the post.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wiring is a butchered affair, if it were OEM stock then all the wires would unplug from one another and they could be removed easily.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess most saws that are 25yrs old and have had a hard life, do get butchered in some form or another;)

Well I did get the wires out of the handle, and it’s clean and degreased I guess the cases are next..

I’ve been thinking about getting the cases powder coated, I’ve no idea how much it would cost and if I were to get the cases done it would be silly not to do the 2 side covers.

Anyhow I was wondering if the cases were to power coated I would need to split and pull the crank. so would it be better to fit a 12mm or put the 10 back in , I know the cases would have the clearance issue.. and a bit of grinding I guess this could be done before it’s powdered.

What are the benefits of a 12 over a 10mm, I read that @Stump Shot was looking at putting a husky piston in a 440. I know I’m limited with the 10mm.
If I were to put a 12mm in. Then fit a husky piston in “288” iirc, what are the issues/differences. Could I run a base gasket if the pin to top of pistons is slightly different.

I know later if and when, I could hybrid it easily and only have swap the piston and jug etc, no splitting the case.
I'm just looking at a few options at the mo.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The advantage is in that cylinder. As it sits, it's nearly a factory ported saw. But, if you're gonna strip and rebuild it to twelve, might as well chunk an 046 top end on it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess most saws that are 25yrs old and have had a hard life, do get butchered in some form or another;)

Well I did get the wires out of the handle, and it’s clean and degreased I guess the cases are next..

I’ve been thinking about getting the cases powder coated, I’ve no idea how much it would cost and if I were to get the cases done it would be silly not to do the 2 side covers.

Anyhow I was wondering if the cases were to power coated I would need to split and pull the crank. so would it be better to fit a 12mm or put the 10 back in , I know the cases would have the clearance issue.. and a bit of grinding I guess this could be done before it’s powdered.

What are the benefits of a 12 over a 10mm, I read that @Stump Shot was looking at putting a husky piston in a 440. I know I’m limited with the 10mm.
If I were to put a 12mm in. Then fit a husky piston in “288” iirc, what are the issues/differences. Could I run a base gasket if the pin to top of pistons is slightly different.

I know later if and when, I could hybrid it easily and only have swap the piston and jug etc, no splitting the case.
I'm just looking at a few options at the mo.

Strongest best built cranks by Stihl were for the 440's no question, next the 12mm 044 and the least being the 10mm. Other things like increased oil flow to the connecting rod bearings make the 440 crank the one to have in not only my mind but Stihl's as well, you can read the update on it and when compared in your hands see that they were right in doing so.

When putting a Husqvarna piston in a Stihl you need to look at every angle what is changing and how that works with what you are doing. You could try a 266 or 268xp closed port, full open window piston and see what happens. This is usually combined with machining and porting to get a better outcome. My 044/440 has a Meteor made 044 Stihl piston in it that I built. Have done a 660 with a 288xp piston. My hybrid that @Canadian farm boy built for me has a Meteor 272xp piston in it. Mike could tell you more about it.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Stump shot... I’m at the planning stage right now. As I said I don’t want to have to redo splitting the cases, with what ever I do afterwards, I understand 12mm and 10mm cases equal less case volume, seems to make sense even if I just put the early jug back on. Less case vol and same intake vol equals a little more power ? With the almost ported oem jug..

I guess I will be looking at how much I want to put into this saw.

Edit; I don’t have machining availability. So I,m limited.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Stump shot... I’m at the planning stage right now. As I said I don’t want to have to redo splitting the cases, with what ever I do afterwards, I understand 12mm and 10mm cases equal less case volume, seems to make sense even if I just put the early jug back on. Less case vol and same intake vol equals a little more power ? With the almost ported oem jug..

I guess I will be looking at how much I want to put into this saw.

Edit; I don’t have machining availability. So I,m limited.

A fella can really go round and round thinking of all the different possibilities, at some point you just have to build the darn thing and see how it goes.
Good news is that they were pretty good to begin with and take well to modifications, so...

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it got pulled apart some more today. I took a few more pics
The markings on the cylinder for you Wes.
View attachment 207049
Just over 40 thou gap
Edited to mark up where piston hitting the crank, because of the excessive wear on the exhaust side. I didn’t notice this till after I posted the pic
View attachment 207068
WOW. Someone got there use out of that. Lol

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the wire out of the holder/connector as in 1st pic post #63

I just had to think about it and clean it up, i modded a wire connector to slide over and push the holding clip in. Original and mod in pic for ref.
DBBA813C-8EB2-435B-9980-B175188FF523.jpeg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve spent yesterday eve cleaning the cases. Its not really a job for the kitchen sink.. but when needs must. :rolleyes:
I was using degreaser, but was finding a lot of compacted oily sawdust in all the crevices on the underside. I was starting to think someone was either very sloppy with the oil filling of there was a leak from the oil tank gasket. Even thou there is only a residual amount in there.

Also As the saw had consumed part of the skirt. I knew I needed to but I have not flushed the bearings out. Well that was the job last thing last night.
This morning I thought I’d look at the cases in a different light. I had also left some WD40 in the crank case to be sure of any water displacement from the bearings while degreasing the cases
This is what I found, I think it’s WD40
08085B92-7830-4D8F-8510-3B7C7A3556C3.jpeg
I was thinking of splitting the cases before and putting a 12mm crank in. But I had been going off of the idea. I guess I will be splitting now even just to fit a new gasket.:(