Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do. I can make them sharper than new.
Factory ground drill bits are sharpened quite conservative, more for longevity than drilling performance.
Do You do a cross cut on the drill bits tip and grind down the flutes shoulders?

Nice ill bring a 5 gallon bucket full next trip down! I'll bring my fancy tool for working on 90° RA's too!
I'd be game for good company and a drink. ;)
HSS bits are easy, Solid-Carbide take a lot of time.

When I try freehand the bits cant even drill wood when I'm done hacking them up. Lol
It is a matter of the twist of Your wrist while grinding the bit, and a well dressed good grinding wheel.
Take a bigger diameter bit and try following the factory grind on Your bench grinder wheel while the grinder is shut off, it can help You to get an idea how to move the bit on the wheel. :)

It’s an art. But not difficult once you know how
True on both.

I would like to think that I can grind drill bits quite well.
I am self thought.
All drill bits that I grind tend to be aggressive which is not an issue when they are used in a machine, I tame them after the initial grinding if they are being used freehand.
Drill bits that I grind are like a square ground chainsaw chain. :D

I like me some good drill bits. :cool:

Finally a topic that I can relate to. :p

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The turbos not only pressurize the intake charge, they also pressurize the cabin, so that at 20,000 feet the air inside is like you would breath at 7,000 ft. Without supplemental oxygen you would suffer from and eventually pass out from hypoxia in just a few minutes once you passed 10,000 ft. Pressurizing the cabin allows you to fly over a lot of weather , take advantage of winds aloft(or temps) and get up where the aircraft is most efficient. Different world up there. I should add that the engines “feel” like they’re running a a lower altitude where the air is denser and are able to produce the same HP up there in the thin air as they can at lower altitudes. No different now than it was in the 1920’s except then I’m certain all that boost was used to add HP and not pressurize anything but the engine.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Factory ground drill bits are sharpened quite conservative, more for longevity than drilling performance.
Do You do a cross cut on the drill bits tip and grind down the flutes shoulders?

I'd be game for good company and a drink. ;)
HSS bits are easy, Solid-Carbide take a lot of time.

It is a matter of the twist of Your wrist while grinding the bit, and a well dressed good grinding wheel.
Take a bigger diameter bit and try following the factory grind on Your bench grinder wheel while the grinder is shut off, it can help You to get an idea how to move the bit on the wheel. :)

True on both.

I would like to think that I can grind drill bits quite well.
I am self thought.
All drill bits that I grind tend to be aggressive which is not an issue when they are used in a machine, I tame them after the initial grinding if they are being used freehand.
Drill bits that I grind are like a square ground chainsaw chain. :D

I like me some good drill bits. :cool:

Finally a topic that I can relate to. :p
No twist. I hold the cutting edge level and drop the back hand

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn’t sharpen a drill bit if my life depended on it. It’s a good thing we keep just enough fresh ones (never plenty, still have to look around sometimes) to get the job done and we do a bunch of drilling.
I can drill real good, pretty good at hitting the trash bucket with a worn out bill drit too;)

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats it?
I have one of those too.
I was waiting all day ignoring all other stuff just to learn something today.
Now i have to wake up and go figgure something out or the day will be wasted.
You gonna make me think after 5pm ain't ya.

It takes practice to get it set up just right......but I like that I can alter the angle of the tip. Making a real flat tipped bit is how I drill the spot welds out on those mufflers without drilling out the back.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was taught to do them freehand but i was a poor student.
I still have to practice on a junk bit before i attempt it on good steel.
For many years when my machinist buddies would come to the farm to hunt or fish they would sharpen all the dull bits.
They also brought me new bits and various fasteners from Locheed and Gulfstream.

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pulled the deck off the mower for some much needed TLC. Getting a new belt and the rot holes patched. One of the rear lift brackets is just about to fall off as well. Wish that my dad's cousin who is a union pipe welder was still up here and not at his home in SC. Getting a new set of bags as well.
1db0aa512559a1522be840d5225177f4.jpg
484665a6612aa8d25790d50efdd73593.jpg
f0ec71a064e8b0d906a131f571d3d1e7.jpg
da194b8a3ed53767c012f57d2e5034dc.jpg
9b6d68d19bca03e0524eba11484ad26a.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tonight I’m working on one of my projects. An old Solo 50. It will run again. 90F2A754-EA06-4210-9145-359086BA459E.jpegHere’s the rest of it. C89F7DEE-7D85-4CAF-9B92-14F479BA6250.jpeg I’m planning on refinishing just the black for now. And hopefully polish up that fan housing.