Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is Texas Pete’s (ingredient list for the recipe)?

From what I was told Texas Pete is not sold once you go so far west from here (South East -US). Not sure that's true, but I've been told that.
Its a staple hot sauce in the BBQ joints in this region. Many of the places make their own sauces in this greater area also. One called the Smoke Pit
in this area makes their own and it is marvellous.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I promised I wouldn't share that recipe.

Ain't we supposed to keep our promises?

I got no dog in this fight. I make syrup and my wife's from St Louis, so we eat a pretty sweet barbecue sauce. But... Just thinking out loud here, a feller could share a list of ingredients maybe (no amounts, of course), or some other clues, and not be breaking any promises. Again, not trying to twist anyone's arm, just a thought.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm from NC.
Lucky SOB. That's the region I pattern my Q after. I'd put the meatwave sauce up against any as it's written to get you in the ballpark. I tried my ass off to find a mustard sauce I loved before I made that one. Then i was like "screw it". To up the heat i prefer more pepper flake over more hot sauce. I make it a gallon at a time and jar it up. With all that acid you only need to water bath long enough to heat enough to seal the lids. Time on the shelf only makes it better.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lucky SOB. That's the region I pattern my Q after. I'd put the meatwave sauce up against any as it's written to get you in the ballpark. I tried my ass off to find a mustard sauce I loved before I made that one. Then i was like "screw it". To up the heat i prefer more pepper flake over more hot sauce. I make it a gallon at a time and jar it up. With all that acid you only need to water bath long enough to heat enough to seal the lids. Time on the shelf only makes it better.

If one can't get Texas Pete's what would you use instead? One of the Frank's work?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If one can't get Texas Pete's what would you use instead? One of the Frank's work?
Yah the original Frank's or Tabasco. When I first made it I actually had someone ship me a couple bottles of TP. Then I was in a dollar store a mile from the house that had it on the shelf. It's such a small amount though I doubt it makes a huge difference.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yah the original Frank's or Tabasco. When I first made it I actually had someone ship me a couple bottles of TP. Then I was in a dollar store a mile from the house that had it on the shelf. It's such a small amount though I doubt it makes a huge difference.

Thanks, I found some on Amazon but it was $28/ 6oz bottle...

I am going to mix up a batch and try it on the ribs I am doing for father's day.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I found some on Amazon but it was $28/ 6oz bottle...

I am going to mix up a batch and try it on the ribs I am doing for father's day.
I've only ever had it with pulled pork. A lot. The sandwich bun usually falls apart it's so soaked:coleman:. You'll get a good idea with some ribs though.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also @GCJenks204 , since you're planting a garden, grow some cayenne peppers. Pretty much all hot sauce is is pureed peppers, vinegar, and some salt. A bonus for making your own is you can throw as much garlic in as you want!

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also @GCJenks204 , since you're planting a garden, grow some cayenne peppers. Pretty much all hot sauce is is pureed peppers, vinegar, and some salt. A bonus for making your own is you can throw as much garlic in as you want!

Something about the soil and sun pattern on my garden, I have not had much success with peppers of any kind. The small patch I am working on will only be lettuce and carrots.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only ever had it with pulled pork. A lot. The sandwich bun usually falls apart it's so soaked:coleman:. You'll get a good idea with some ribs though.

I was considering doing a pork shoulder but FIL requested ribs. Will be my first time so plan is to have a few sauces handy to cover whatever I do.

Have a second hand 22.5" WSM arriving after supper tonight, I'm pretty excited.