stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get rid of that damn Royal Oak and you’ll be doing just fine...lol

Not a fan of Royal Oak -- that is not to say it is not useful. In some places (perhaps yours) oak is used to smoke BBQ. In this area of the Southland where I am Hickory reigns with a close second or possibly a tie Pecan. Looks like these will have a heavy bark that's for sure. I will be interested in progress and finished pics:D

Last edited:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys don’t use Kingsford do you?
No

Stubb’s is everywhere here...
I feel like I cook less now that I don't have it. I tried the Embers stuff. No heat, a more bitter flavor. The search continues. Next time I go south I'm bringing a trunkload home.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No

I feel like I cook less now that I don't have it. I tried the Embers stuff. No heat, a more bitter flavor. The search continues. Next time I go south I'm bringing a trunkload home.
Next time I hit the grocery store, I’ll pick you up several 3.5 oz shaker bottles of it, send it your way.

B1EF4DDF-3401-4B87-A95A-97C67A109F57.jpeg

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time I hit the grocery store, I’ll pick you up several 3.5 oz shaker bottles of it, send it your way.

View attachment 245548
I'm talking about Stubb's briquettes. Thanks for the offer though. For rub I actually use the GFS bulk stuff.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to make my own rubs, then I tried a bunch of commercial stuff. My tasters couldn't tell a huge difference in flavor based on rubs, so I just buy in bulk what has the main ingredients needed(salt, paprika, chili powder, etc) and focus on the cook and the sauce. A couple years ago I cold smoked some peaches and made a sauce with a couple habaneros. I've still never had anything like it. That's it on the left with my vinegar sauce. Folks around here aren't used to a vinegar based sauce, especially the old biddies that judge at the fair. I'm slowly converting all of our friends.20180930_140227.jpg

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to make my own rubs, then I tried a bunch of commercial stuff. My tasters couldn't tell a huge difference in flavor based on rubs, so I just buy in bulk what has the main ingredients needed(salt, paprika, chili powder, etc) and focus on the cook and the sauce. A couple years ago I cold smoked some peaches and made a sauce with a couple habaneros. I've still never had anything like it. That's it on the left with my vinegar sauce. Folks around here aren't used to a vinegar based sauce, especially the old biddies that judge at the fair. I'm slowly converting all of our friends.View attachment 245569

Now that looks marvelous!