Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Smoked some ribs with applewood on my gas grill today. I know, I know. But, I used what I had. No pics, cause my phone camera quit, but they turned out great.

Mostly I attribute my success to my new Smoke X4 grill thermometer. Has 4 channels, but I only used 2, one for meat and one for the air temp. Thing has a remote with a lanyard and the radio signal is crazy far reaching. They claim over a mile line of sight. Maybe it's old news to you guys, but I've been using a Thermapen from the same company for years, and when I wanted a new one recently I added the Smoke to the cart. Damned thing is awesome. I was working partway across the farm today but I could keep an eye on the important temps. If you're using charcoal it'll also control a fan to control grill temp. Not super cheap, but I think I've had their thermapen for close to a decade now with zero problems, I'm hoping this product is built just as well.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Smoked some ribs with applewood on my gas grill today. I know, I know. But, I used what I had. No pics, cause my phone camera quit, but they turned out great.

Mostly I attribute my success to my new Smoke X4 grill thermometer. Has 4 channels, but I only used 2, one for meat and one for the air temp. Thing has a remote with a lanyard and the radio signal is crazy far reaching. They claim over a mile line of sight. Maybe it's old news to you guys, but I've been using a Thermapen from the same company for years, and when I wanted a new one recently I added the Smoke to the cart. Damned thing is awesome. I was working partway across the farm today but I could keep an eye on the important temps. If you're using charcoal it'll also control a fan to control grill temp. Not super cheap, but I think I've had their thermapen for close to a decade now with zero problems, I'm hoping this product is built just as well.

I've been using the Thermoworks Smoke 2, Thermapen Mk4 and Chef Alarm for a number of years. As you said, they make monitoring temps easy. Only problem is, you look like a nerd if you wear the smoke receiver around your neck.
The Thermanpen is the best instant read handheld made.
The infrared temp gun is great when cooking in cast iron or on a griddle.

image.jpeg

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I also have a Thermapen and the original Smoke 2 channel. Had the smoke for 5 years and I've changed the battery once. I smoke every other weekend at least sometimes more. They're great units.

I want one of the newer 4 channel ones, but mine just keeps on working.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked on the MK4. Been using an "original super-fast thermapen" forever. It's great, but I've been known to leave it out in the rain, and knowing the new one is waterproof will be nice. Also I get a little tired of opening and closing the probe on mine if I set it down and it powers off before I want it again. The new one seems to be really well thought out.

Funny actually, the original one I have was regifted to me. My buddy's parents have it to him and he thought he'd never want one. He was more of a cook by feeling guy back then. I would never have spent that much on a thermometer back then, but now I'd never be without it. Several years after my friend gave me that one, I visited him and his wife and saw another one in his kitchen. I guess he had come around to the idea and loved having one (duh). Best part was he'd totally forgotten giving one away years before. He never was known for having a great memory... :)

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is what I had on Saturday:

BwCv0Aq.jpg

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mothers day brisket. 20200510_131722.jpg

I'm using a Fireboard for my meat and air probes and also to control the temp on my masterbuilt 1050 with it's fan. It's a pretty sweet lazy man set up. I can control and monitor the smoker from anywhere I can get an internet connection. It also gives you a ton of options for alarms like texting email etc. And auto shuts off the fan for however long you want when the lid or firebox are opened. Here's the chart from the mothers day Pork Butt and Brisket. I kept ramping the temp up throughout the cook. The air temp large divergence is when I added a big water pan, it's amazing how much you catch when you have the data.
https://share.fireboard.io/3058CB
Here's yesterdays Chuck roast where I wasn't constantly messing with things. It's pretty impressive how steady a charcoal smoker can be.
Thu May 14 Session https://share.fireboard.io/A80C5B

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mothers day brisket. View attachment 240952

I'm using a Fireboard for my meat and air probes and also to control the temp on my masterbuilt 1050 with it's fan. It's a pretty sweet lazy man set up. I can control and monitor the smoker from anywhere I can get an internet connection. It also gives you a ton of options for alarms like texting email etc. And auto shuts off the fan for however long you want when the lid or firebox are opened. Here's the chart from the mothers day Pork Butt and Brisket. I kept ramping the temp up throughout the cook. The air temp large divergence is when I added a big water pan, it's amazing how much you catch when you have the data.
Here's yesterdays Chuck roast where I wasn't constantly messing with things. It's pretty impressive how steady a charcoal smoker can be.

Me likey!

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mothers day brisket. View attachment 240952

Don't forget that all leftovers are shipped too me.!! :number_one: lol!

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag