Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
6:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0E84F35F-0797-40B9-878B-194A738A7550.jpeg I wish I had done this charcoal thing years ago. First cook on my Performer was last Saturday and everyday but one since has been cooked on it or the leftovers of the cook the day before.

Just easy stuff so far but had to learn temp control without ruining anything expensive. Tomorrow will be my first challenge as I have 5lbs of wings going on.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
7:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 242238 I wish I had done this charcoal thing years ago. First cook on my Performer was last Saturday and everyday but one since has been cooked on it or the leftovers of the cook the day before.

Just easy stuff so far but had to learn temp control without ruining anything expensive. Tomorrow will be my first challenge as I have 5lbs of wings going on.
Build your coal heat in the center, don’t get all crazy with coal holders’ full, put the wings around the perimeter. Let ‘em go slow...you can add coals and ramp up the heat later if that’s your preference. Keep any eye on the bottom/top dampes. Simple.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Build your coal heat in the center, don’t get all crazy with coal holders’ full, put the wings around the perimeter. Let ‘em go slow...you can add coals and ramp up the heat later if that’s your preference. Keep any eye on the bottom/top dampes. Simple.

That is pretty much my plan but I did get a knock off vortex off Amazon that will help control the indirect heat. After the burgers tonight I played with the venting and was able to keep a solid 350 for over an hour so I think I’ll be okay.

The real question is flip or don’t flip? I expect I may need to rotate from inner to outer ring... but do I turn them over or just keep same side up? My thought is from a presentation stand point the same side up for the entire cook will yield nicer looking wings.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is pretty much my plan but I did get a knock off vortex off Amazon that will help control the indirect heat. After the burgers tonight I played with the venting and was able to keep a solid 350 for over an hour so I think I’ll be okay.

The real question is flip or don’t flip? I expect I may need to rotate from inner to outer ring... but do I turn them over or just keep same side up? My thought is from a presentation stand point the same side up for the entire cook will yield nicer looking wings.
The Vortex’s and the spin-offs are fine...it’s actually what you want. They control the in-direct heat. Ya ain’t gotta have one, but now that ya got one, let’s roll with the wing plan.

When I do wings, I lock the wing joint behind the drumette head...that way the wing joint don’t sit in the heat ‘tits up’ and just grill, blacken to nothing in the long run. If ya lock ‘em behind the drumette, creates a little more mass for the slow grill. Absolutely flip, after the bottom side has been down for a bit, flip ‘em. Give the other side of the wing a little shot at the bottom heat. Just be mindful, if you sling any sauce on ‘em, the flipping has to be done a little quicker. At that point, every flip, sauce ‘em...helps keep ‘em glazed and moist on the inside.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Vortex’s and the spin-offs are fine...it’s actually what you want. They control the in-direct heat. Ya ain’t gotta have one, but now that ya got one, let’s roll with the wing plan.

When I do wings, I lock the wing joint behind the drumette head...that way the wing joint don’t sit in the heat ‘tits up’ and just grill, blacken to nothing in the long run. If ya lock ‘em behind the drumette, creates a little more mass for the slow grill. Absolutely flip, after the bottom side has been down for a bit, flip ‘em. Give the other side of the wing a little shot at the bottom heat. Just be mindful, if you sling any sauce on ‘em, the flipping has to be done a little quicker. At that point, every flip, sauce ‘em...helps keep ‘em glazed and moist on the inside.

They are split wings so part of what you say is irrelevant. The plan was to do them dry for nice crispy skin. Some will be rubbed and eaten dry some will cook nekkid and the tossed in sauce when the come off the grill.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are split wings so part of what you say is irrelevant. The plan was to do them dry for nice crispy skin. Some will be rubbed and eaten dry some will cook nekkid and the tossed in sauce when the come off the grill.
Shoulda said they were split from the get-go...and you had your game plan the whole time!

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shoulda said they were split from the get-go...and you had your game plan the whole time!

I had an idea as to what I was going to do, just always interested in opinions from those with more experience. This place is usually less judgemental than a Weber group on Facebook...

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an idea as to what I was going to do, just always interested in opinions from those with more experience. This place is usually less judgemental than a Weber group on Facebook...
That is true...Everybody’s a grilling guru in the Weber Kettle Group I’m in...lol

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is true...Everybody’s a grilling guru in the Weber Kettle Group I’m in...lol

I'm late to the Weber game. I've had mine a few years. Your input sir has always been timely. I have the vortex and the grate displayed in the pic in one of the
above posts. It's does ok, but in my opinion does not live up to the hype some guys seem to make about it. Nevertheless I love some grilled food.
I do love my Performer and enjoy using it from time to time. Keep the posts coming guys -- I'm reading and learning.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm late to the Weber game. I've had mine a few years. Your input sir has always been timely. I have the vortex and the grate displayed in the pic in one of the
above posts. It's does ok, but in my opinion does not live up to the hype some guys seem to make about it. Nevertheless I love some grilled food.
I do love my Performer and enjoy using it from time to time. Keep the posts coming guys -- I'm reading and learning.
I like the Vortex, it’s got its place, but it’s certainly not for everything. It’s certainly not a one-trick pony. I like it more for doing grilled, bacon-wrapped, cheese stuffed jalapeños, than anything else. They grill damn good around the perimeter, bacon doesn’t cook too fast. I run two rows around the perimeter, one inside the other...the bacon just pulls in all the smoke flavor as they’re grilling. Talk about some damn good eats! And I don’t load the Vortex probably near as much with charcoal as some folks do.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the Vortex, it’s got its place, but it’s certainly not for everything. It’s certainly not a one-trick pony. I like it more for doing grilled, bacon-wrapped, cheese stuffed jalapeños, than anything else. They grill damn good around the perimeter, bacon doesn’t cook too fast. I run two rows around the perimeter, one inside the other...the bacon just pulls in all the smoke flavor as they’re grilling. Talk about some damn good eats! And I don’t load the Vortex probably near as much with charcoal as some folks do.

Now that is a great idea! Love me some Jalepenos!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the initial. Will try and grab an after.
View attachment 242333
Get ready to rotate those closest to the heat in the inner circle, out to the perimeter, in a bit...you be good to go! It can be a constant swap since you’re doing flats and drumettes separated. They can grill quick.