What's For Supper?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve, don't remember buying any meat, exp. a few lbs. of hamburger in my life. @ $2.75 lb. That seems high to me! except homemade sausage at $3.00 lb. We always killed our own beef and hogs. That is why I only buy pork butts @ @ 0.99 per lb. or I will not buy them. We don't buy any beef anymore. Killed one 3 years ago to get our beef.
Raising your own is the way to go, if you're set up for it.
We did that when my boys were young. They raised steers for FFA and we always had a couple extra for us. When you're feeding four kids, you eat most every part of the animal.
Now that it's only Karen and I, we can be more particular and only buy what we like. I dry age choice beef primals and have had very good results. I also get marked down Prime beef at Sam's, when I find it. Prime Sirloin is becoming one of my favorites.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Expired meat? Heck, we had a store here that was run by 2 brothers in their 80s. They processed their own meats and made their own sausage to sell. One day I was looking in their meat case and saw some thin cut steaks that were green. I pointed to the package and said that the meat was spoiled. The old fellow told me that it was not spoiled, but aged. He said that some of the old folks liked it like that, because it was nice and tender....... I didn't try it.
If it was bad, I'm sure that the USDA would have intervened.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fantastic!
03b33a5fcf348da8007b439d42dfdf0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks really good!
What else is on the plate with the wiener?
Had a couple leftover baked potatoes so I cut in half and topped with cheese and chopped onion and baked again. The other is a baguette i grilled then topped with sauteed cherry tomatoes and whole garlic. Made garlic paste with it and mixed with ricotta. Saw it on "It's Alive" a YouTube cooking channel I like last night

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seeing that good lookin cornbread got me thinkin. I'm slowly seasoning in a new Lodge 8" skillet with the intentions of making it tje "cornbread skillet". Lots of lard and high heat, plus using it often for frying sausage etc. Just scrape and wipe with wet cloth when done. Getting a lot better. Hope to just be able to dump the cornbread and wipe it with a dry towel when I'm done.
Man, I wish I had some good cornbread and butter beans! Out of town. Ain't anything like that around here.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Baked four pork steaks then glazed ‘em with a little sauce concoction at the end. Great northern beans, pot of rice, sliced tomatoes for the sides...

B70A32B4-E28C-4CBC-AD95-9A48481E0F9C.jpeg

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jason, where the hell you get the meat, as there is zero around here.
Had to hit the Walmart Marketplace grocery store for a couple of things early last week...they were loaded with meats. Went ahead and re-upped on family packs of center cut chops, pork steaks, baby back ribs, family packs of thighs, wings, and ground chuck.

Haven’t had to go back so I’m sure the scenery has changed and things are prob hit and miss now, even if you catch ‘em shortly after re-stocking.