Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
9:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Walt....does the 254 then fit somewhere between the 262 and a 350....

Or because of the 254 are you not bothering with the 350s?

I'll bet the 200t will be next to hit the am market. Then the 272 or 288

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a look back at Walts opening post ...one point was that maybe we could take a look at this "After market saw " question ..not.. from the hobby side . I wonder... IF ...there is a strong market for the pro user? or is the AM saw more likely to appeal to the enthusiast /home firewood harvester and general saw user ?
Bit like the Kit car thing...if you drive for a living will you want a older design of car or a newer design ? + do you want to do the building /maintaining ?
I guess im thinking the sort of saw that will be popular ...May... be determined by its intended market .
Rhetorical question or not..

Ahh the nuance..

This comment stirs the mind a bit, and three things immediately snap back from the ancient pits of lost memories....

1) One thing I know is those in the true saw business really don't understand or even care about the "motorsports" aspect of this, other than as "promotional" things like the Stihl pro series. The real time numbers in the industry show the past to this point in time, but things like this aren't on that radar screen therefore aren't in the calculation. IF there is a "shift" in their time/continuum then they will start looking for a reason. Too busy selling tools to folks who are looking for....tools. This while big right now on line doesn't effect the real world much.....right now...:)

2) Any CAD/CAM types here? Anyone know the "Autodesk" story & history?? And how that product / company went from toy to a dominant industry force?? Thats a story those in the saw business need to understand. A few very relevant and common to this phenomenon parallels in that story..:) AND the big guys didn't get it, and even when they understood the "nuance" of the changes in the new market place, they didn't understand how to react because their business model was SO wrapped around price points, service concepts, and the assumption "professionals" require professional level tools as defined by them, essentially market "vectors" derived from the tangible past...:) And the notion "real" customers would only look to them because obviously they, the "big" guys dominated market share by orders of magnitude. A few rose to the top...stayed there until.......something fundamentally changed. Lemecee........ Computervision, Prime, Autotrol, there were a pile of them that dominated the market place. Like IBM. Intergraph, SDRC, some blended into things like EDS. Fascinating story from those who are History buffs... Desault (Catia) is one of the last remaining big guys for big companies.....and the results of that shift have epic repercussions.... Ask Boeing..:) SO any parallels with this? Hell yes! Will it turn out the same way? I have no idea, maybe maybe not..Only time will tell....but back to the question...

3) I think strong simple saws still have a place in this world. Not every world market is infected with EPA / Euro style rules and regulations. So as was stated I think it truly does depend on the intended market place. And the folks building these Kit saws look to other places to sell as well...interesting conversation. TY Mr. Simondo!

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So....Mr. HLSupply helps a bunch of active & verbose online types get kits saws to build and brag about on line........something every one can do. Endless threads and video's documenting the process to follow. A hobby that produces productive tools for a fraction of the typical new saw. And there is a supply point to repeat these mechanical puzzles, and a competition concept every one can participate in? Unlimited online customer service.....cheap replacement parts. Endless "how to threads & videos" and endless opportunities to build saws and tools to show off technical skills...LOL genius! This is going to be a lot of fun.....can I hold the East Coast AM Nationals here at the farm?? Buckle up folks, we are going for a ride....:) How can this possibly effect a thing?? But not to fret...Dell and HP still sell complete computers. But what an interesting time for the hobby types now.

Now pressure/vac testing a stubborn 550xp.....CST, something absolutely required to support these saws; says it goes full rich on low speed...and it does. Loads up and Stalls. Error code 13. Initial Vac test showed nothing...and repeating because you always doubt your own work...but yet again it is leak free....now onto other possibilities. Has the latest firmware. New lines for fuel & primer...new tank vent....carb doesn't seem to have any mechanical issues, put a kit in anyway...stumped

Get my point? Both macro & micro? Just a truck driver, just an old man...

Still want my 254's

Last edited:

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm buckled in...but

The farm is still 6 hours from me :(

So the question stands, you like the 254 more than the 350's ... or its filling a gap?

and someone came up with this whole scheme...wish I knew who that was, I'd shake their hand hehe

who's mr hlsupply again?

:)

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm buckled in...but

The farm is still 6 hours from me :(

So the question stands, you like the 254 more than the 350's ... or its filling a gap?

and someone came up with this whole scheme...wish I knew who that was, I'd shake their hand hehe

who's mr hlsupply again?

:)

yes you are, but in the front or the back seat? ahh...yes. 254's. I do have some cases & stuff left...we can swap next time we are in the same vicinity if you have interesting stuff...they aren't worth much monetarily. But might ignite an interest if you had them.

But going to move from that pesky 550 to another 036...love those too. Don't know yet if I like how they work as much as the 254's...would be a game changer if I do for me..again it will take time to see.

Last edited:

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
interesting...

of more interest, though I have run a 257 plenty, i've never run a 357xp or 359

gonna play with that 360 clone soon, and 440/044 ..

gotta keep playing I guess

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
7:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ahh the nuance..

This comment stirs the mind a bit, and three things immediately snap back from the ancient pits of lost memories....

1) One thing I know is those in the true saw business really don't understand or even care about the "motorsports" aspect of this, other than as "promotional" things like the Stihl pro series. The real time numbers in the industry show the past to this point in time, but things like this aren't on that radar screen therefore aren't in the calculation. IF there is a "shift" in their time/continuum then they will start looking for a reason. Too busy selling tools to folks who are looking for....tools. This while big right now on line doesn't effect the real world much.....right now...:)

2) Any CAD/CAM types here? Anyone know the "Autodesk" story & history?? And how that product / company went from toy to a dominant industry force?? Thats a story those in the saw business need to understand. A few very relevant and common to this phenomenon parallels in that story..:) AND the big guys didn't get it, and even when they understood the "nuance" of the changes in the new market place, they didn't understand how to react because their business model was SO wrapped around price points, service concepts, and the assumption "professionals" require professional level tools as defined by them, essentially market "vectors" derived from the tangible past...:) And the notion "real" customers would only look to them because obviously they, the "big" guys dominated market share by orders of magnitude. A few rose to the top...stayed there until.......something fundamentally changed. Lemecee........ Computervision, Prime, Autotrol, there were a pile of them that dominated the market place. Like IBM. Intergraph, SDRC, some blended into things like EDS. Fascinating story from those who are History buffs... Desault (Catia) is one of the last remaining big guys for big companies.....and the results of that shift have epic repercussions.... Ask Boeing..:) SO any parallels with this? Hell yes! Will it turn out the same way? I have no idea, maybe maybe not..Only time will tell....but back to the question...

3) I think strong simple saws still have a place in this world. Not every world market is infected with EPA / Euro style rules and regulations. So as was stated I think it truly does depend on the intended market place. And the folks building these Kit saws look to other places to sell as well...interesting conversation. TY Mr. Simondo!

All very poignant.....I especially like your focus on #3. The North American, and European markets have definitely hamstrung themselves with the regulatory measures, and the part and parcel "technology advances"......M-tronic, and AutoTune......pshh! Give me back my 1970 K5 Blazer.....

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well, are all wrong... apparently hutzl has the 038 kit out...

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry....spelling..
Was supposed to be "we were all wrong" assuming we were trying to guess or predict the next kit saw.

Now....none of us are wrong for desiring whatever saw we wanted..

But an 038? Really?

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My question is what do WE want next..the 038 and one other have been in the works for a while. Really just look at the parts availability and you can guess their move relative to those....interesting insight into how folks process though isn't it?

I'll probably grab a 038 because everyone else will grab the 044's...:)

Me...like I've said I WANT a 254, that's not a guess as to what coming....simply a wish....:)

still wish they would copy one.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They should be able to come up with an MS390 for under a hundred bucks plus shipping...

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My post contained lots of ? marks as im sure there are many wants/likes that could be filled. Knowing who will buy the next AM saw is the tricky thing for the makers . AM makers will make what they think will sell only IMO.
PS...groundies that are hard on kit are worldwide i bet ! :D

Fact of life re groundies, but pay peanuts get monkeys. The good guys go independent (like me) or start their own biz. Price structure on equipment helps to force this structure on operators though.

Groundie straight fuels a 395, ~$800 for new p&c fitted. The owners are on a hiding to nothing really..

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Fact of life re groundies, but pay peanuts get monkeys. The good guys go independent (like me) or start their own biz. Price structure on equipment helps to force this structure on operators though.

Groundie straight fuels a 395, ~$800 for new p&c fitted. The owners are on a hiding to nothing really..
I know you boys in OZ have it tough with price to !! Whatever the brand "Raw fuel" will do for it ...keep them away from your Dollys mate !:)

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My question is what do WE want next..the 038 and one other have been in the works for a while. Really just look at the parts availability and you can guess their move relative to those....interesting insight into how folks process though isn't it?

I'll probably grab a 038 because everyone else will grab the 044's...:)

Me...like I've said I WANT a 254, that's not a guess as to what coming....simply a wish....:)

still wish they would copy one.
Lets just have these 200 group saws (242 254 262 272 288 ) back as a hole ...That should keep plenty happy along with some amount of part interchangeability and a supply of AM parts for those who still have and run the OEM ones .Was there really a "Bad" saw amongst them .I still 'WANT" the 346 and 357 as there (for me) still simple with the benefit of spring anti vibe.
This is one reason I have some new saws....i wont mention names (not Husq or Sthil) :D

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry....spelling..
Was supposed to be "we were all wrong" assuming we were trying to guess or predict the next kit saw.

Now....none of us are wrong for desiring whatever saw we wanted..

But an 038? Really?
You dont like a German curved rump !? I always found that 028 038 042 ....... group , Perty .

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ahh the nuance..

You may remember /know that in the UK back in the 70s,80s the open top roadster went Waaaay un popular, partly due to its "so called" old fashioned way and partly due to the "Hot Hatch" cars.... Golf Gti , Ford XR 3 ..Peugeot 205 Gti ...etc
Oh Yea !!....Well Mazda took the MGB gt as a generic classic roadster design and re worked it into the MX 5......a simple classic that sold and continues to sell "World Wide" under a few other names.
My point.....I also believe there is a market (for a while ) for the simple and well regarded saws dropped from the current range....Till todays saws become tomorrows .."Classic Simple Saws" of corse !