Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think maybe Bob and Walt ought to have their own build off

Well......................for one thing, we need to get off this Chinese kit saw thing. And your suggestion will have the Husky vs. stihl distraction. So, let's try something off the wall. A Jonsered 920 build off. The sophisticated enginner and his lathe vs the red neck and his ingenuity. Showcase one of the great saw chassis in the meantime. Maybe have the showdown at the NY GTG next month at The Cutting Edge. And at the same time, invite anyone else with a 900 series Jonsered to join the fun. I know that @huskyboy has a 930 and a 910 in the works. "The Jonsered 900 challenge." Winner gets..................... an extra cider donut! Let's tag @afleetcommand so he sees this. He can either accept, or have some mysterious transmission problem with his truck next month. :)

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll bite on one condition....everyone does their own work. :) I'll even forgo any machine work...just a tools from Lowes build..levels the field..:) Worst case is I don't have time to build one and one comes out of retirement. Best case I can put one together and tune it up!

Last edited:

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well......................for one thing, we need to get off this Chinese kit saw thing. And your suggestion will have the Husky vs. stihl distraction. So, let's try something off the wall. A Jonsered 920 build off. The sophisticated enginner and his lathe vs the red neck and his ingenuity. Showcase one of the great saw chassis in the meantime. Maybe have the showdown at the NY GTG next month at The Cutting Edge. And at the same time, invite anyone else with a 900 series Jonsered to join the fun. I know that @huskyboy has a 930 and a 910 in the works. "The Jonsered 900 challenge." Winner gets..................... an extra cider donut! Let's tag @afleetcommand so he sees this. He can either accept, or have some mysterious transmission problem with his truck next month. :)

REPPED!!!

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A true 930 with the second generation top end has a clear advantage. I have one, but I'm not bringing it. Walt and I have more 920 parts, such as cylinders to play with so we wanted to go that route. But it's really about putting the spot light on something different, and this has long been a favorite chassis of ours. So, anyone with a saw in this 900 family should bring it along. Including of course the 820/830.

This is a "Dead Saw Salvage" twist on the kit saw craze, and we have the added "fun" of having to find enough stuff to complete our own kits. We'll have to help each other out with missing items but between the two of us we ought to have enough to complete two saws. Walt already has a 920 that he worked his magic on and it is a nice strong runner. There is already a video on that saw and giving a 920 cylinder the 930 treatment is a recipe that we'll likely both use. Guess I could start a thread where we document what we are doing. Kind of waters down the competition aspect if we show our cards, but more guys would learn about this chassis that way. (maybe not show every card lol)

But backing up a bit, Walt and I still have to inventory our junk piles and make sure we have the parts to complete 2 saws. So, I sort of jumped the gun here, but was curious as to who else might have some of these saws.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A true 930 with the second generation top end has a clear advantage. I have one, but I'm not bringing it. Walt and I have more 920 parts, such as cylinders to play with so we wanted to go that route. But it's really about putting the spot light on something different, and this has long been a favorite chassis of ours. So, anyone with a saw in this 900 family should bring it along. Including of course the 820/830.

This is a "Dead Saw Salvage" twist on the kit saw craze, and we have the added "fun" of having to find enough stuff to complete our own kits. We'll have to help each other out with missing items but between the two of us we ought to have enough to complete two saws. Walt already has a 920 that he worked his magic on and it is a nice strong runner. There is already a video on that saw and giving a 920 cylinder the 930 treatment is a recipe that we'll likely both use. Guess I could start a thread where we document what we are doing. Kind of waters down the competition aspect if we show our cards, but more guys would learn about this chassis that way. (maybe not show every card lol)

But backing up a bit, Walt and I still have to inventory our junk piles and make sure we have the parts to complete 2 saws. So, I sort of jumped the gun here, but was curious as to who else might have some of these saws.

Have one, no :(, want one, bad, real bad. Not a good chance though because Jonsered was a nobody down here, still hoping to find a 930 someday.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... So, anyone with a saw in this 900 family should bring it along. Including of course the 820/830.

So, I sort of jumped the gun here, but was curious as to who else might have some of these saws.

I may be up for this, picked up a 920 last summer that still needs a bit of going through and was planning on at least updating it with the opened up lowers. Fires up and dies with maddening consistency, thinking next move I'll be robbing a module off one of the 288's to at least eliminate that possibility.

Have a good running 910 but its no racer, more a 'grunter' that loves running pig rich.
Just last week got a nice clean saw-in-a-box 820 that's mostly all there (no coil/module) but not sure the P&C will clean up.