High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What should be the next AM kit saw?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe if the pattern is trending across the board in case of the 242 Meteor piston and not a one time event, your findings should be brought to them. Those folks can't fix what they don't know is broken.
That AM 242xp offering always seemed a bit odd when i looked into one a while back Steve. The offering of the none windowed piston for a XP closed port saw never added up and it clearly says 242- 242xp on the box... Its more the 42 piston shape. There such a good long established company i have just always assumed they ether new or intended the design .

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What they had in mind and "What" they used for a "Datum" I cant even guess at Tor :D...I have to think they measured ...Something , just no 242 xp we know !! The piston i bought a while back was fine in the 42 though.
didnt you build a couple 42 special where one of them had lower compression then the other one Simon, where it made no sense for neither you and me?

Maybe if the pattern is trending across the board in case of the 242 Meteor piston and not a one time event, your findings should be brought to them. Those folks can't fix what they don't know is broken.
I only send them one mail before, never got any respond, but sure, will send them one mail about the issue.
I read through their homepage after I saw how much their 242 was off the OEM specs, and yup, Meteor say compression rate 18.2 instead of Huskies 19, its pretty clear that Meteor has dropped the cross pin with 0.8mm ie 0.030".

Since I posted my 242 picture in 'whats on your bench" another member send me a picture, both pistons where Meteor 288, it wasnt as bad as 242, but impressed? Tell you Steve, I was shocked!

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
didnt you build a couple 42 special where one of them had lower compression then the other one Simon, where it made no sense for neither you and me?

I only send them one mail before, never got any respond, but sure, will send them one mail about the issue.
I read through their homepage after I saw how much their 242 was off the OEM specs, and yup, Meteor say compression rate 18.2 instead of Huskies 19, its pretty clear that Meteor has dropped the cross pin with 0.8mm ie 0.030".

Since I posted my 242 picture in 'whats on your bench" another member send me a picture, both pistons where Meteor 288, it wasnt as bad as 242, but impressed? Tell you Steve, I was shocked!
Yup...A "pre de comp " Gilardoni 241 and a 241 Gilardoni with a de comp. Both gasket del and 20-22 thou sqish ..pre de comp=135-140 psi ..de comp 165 psi. Never found any problems and they both ran and run real strong. Didnt investigate further . The AM Meteor piston was in the non de comp cylinder....may have been a bigger combustion chamber ..Dunno :D

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After market HS carb on the right. Notice difference in springs on the bench. I could not get the AM one to pop off. A Tillitson spring in the AM carb made it work right and a good running saw.

View attachment 58029
I was prepared to swap those springs on my china 365s but surprisingly they were both pretty well dialed i just had to tune in wood after pulling both to prime five or six time's they have both started three to four pulls since then that's good for a 365/372 but both had inspection signatures in sharpie on the carbs and other engine part's so clearly they were tested at the factory i have gotten several 170 180 250 290 over the years that i had to switch to oem springs on then they were fine.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ya, i know that some kits exist... thanks for that link, didn't know hl had it

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oh, silly me, found it on ebay... they have just screens, 10 packs for like 10 bux....

vtrombly1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Around here 288 272 262 pretty much can not be bought in decent shape without paying a good chunk for them the 3 series hold their value too don't get me wrong but the older 2 series people remember.
90ecfdf27ec4bda014145167dd6013fb.jpg
you mean like this one[emoji12] someone thought it had low compression....didn't pay a dime lol

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
90ecfdf27ec4bda014145167dd6013fb.jpg
you mean like this one[emoji12] someone thought it had low compression....didn't pay a dime lol
Lol i may have you beat my oldest brother retired from logging gave me his stack of 24 inch bars and chains two backup 288s one light one reg they spent their life in the back of a flatbed scuffed up but great inside i refreshed the light and am working on doing the other one when i get my 372s done.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol i may have you beat my oldest brother retired from logging gave me his stack of 24 inch bars and chains two backup 288s one light one reg they spent their life in the back of a flatbed scuffed up but great inside i refreshed the light and am working on doing the other one when i get my 372s done.

Pics or it didn't happen

vtrombly1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed all kinds of power haven't had a 660 beat me yet. Last summer had a pro tree guy at my sister in laws cutting a big oak laugh at me when I brought her out to do a little cutting (he apparently thought that because it's a low number as in 288 that it was a small saw) after they got the tree down I challenged him to a little saw off... he hastily agreed and as you can guess he did the walk of shame that day and learned the true king of saws lol.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You won't be disappointed all kinds of power haven't had a 660 beat me yet. Last summer had a pro tree guy at my sister in laws cutting a big oak laugh at me when I brought her out to do a little cutting (he apparently thought that because it's a low number as in 288 that it was a small saw) after they got the tree down I challenged him to a little saw off... he hastily agreed and as you can guess he did the walk of shame that day and learned the true king of saws lol.
I've been running 288s since the late 90s my favorite husky's 257 262 272 371 372 are in the running for different uses lol

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
288 certainly gets the most votes for the next Husky kit. And as this saw is still in production for markets outside the US, the business case for the parts makes more sense for the Farmer-Tec folks.

But while this discussion has focused on discontinued models, the AM parts support for the 385/390 and 395 is actually pretty weak. Especially the 390 chassis. Even if they can't do a complete kit, they ought to look at increasing their parts offerings for those models.

Another factor in parts consumption is a pro vs homeowner thing, because pro saws get beat and banged up every day. Parts like top and brake handles, tanks, clutch covers, starters and such are regular sellers for the pro saws. We sell a lot more "crash parts" for pro saws than for 455 Ranchers. And I get it why we're all kind of fixated on cylinder kits, cause they are cool and we can modify them and all. But parts consumption on the less exciting stuff like all of the external crash parts is big business. :)

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loggers like to run over or park on top of saws too and then *b-word about it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
288 certainly gets the most votes for the next Husky kit. And as this saw is still in production for markets outside the US, the business case for the parts makes more sense for the Farmer-Tec folks.

But while this discussion has focused on discontinued models, the AM parts support for the 385/390 and 395 is actually pretty weak. Especially the 390 chassis. Even if they can't do a complete kit, they ought to look at increasing their parts offerings for those models.

Another factor in parts consumption is a pro vs homeowner thing, because pro saws get beat and banged up every day. Parts like top and brake handles, tanks, clutch covers, starters and such are regular sellers for the pro saws. We sell a lot more "crash parts" for pro saws than for 455 Ranchers. And I get it why we're all kind of fixated on cylinder kits, cause they are cool and we can modify them and all. But parts consumption on the less exciting stuff like all of the external crash parts is big business. :)

And if that 288 were a High Top, those parts would certainly sell. A 281 could easily be done, and it would be nice to see someone offer a P&C kit for them instead of throwing a 288 one on and calling it good.(not that that's really that bad) So maybe a 288 High Top and a 281 Low Top.
The bigger the saw the more "sense" all this non-sense makes, so yes a 394 or 395 would be an attractive model for the enthusiast that wants one to play with. Who wouldn't?
Just in case there is a robot here counting, I'll say 268 and 272 one more time. Lol

vtrombly1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I think these kits are basically a backseat to the main reason of how they got started as basically a repair parts buisness as a low cost alternative to oem...we've all seen Walt's early stuff..cyclops and what not... But the big emphasis is that when he started building, not all parts could be gotten, he made a mix of aftermarket and filled in the gaps with oem....which there was allot. The kits I can only guess was because of the clambering of guys like us that wanted that hobby option. But as you eluded to the best selling option for them is the stuff that is in currant circulation...the logger that busts a top cover...or clutch cover that is dropped...skidder modified..that's where they get their buisness from. On that note Bob im going to brag about you for a moment. Ive followed the videos for years now and your knowledge of vintage saws is amazing I wish I had a knowledgeable dealer with your skills. Keep it up I love all the videos you are in.