What oil is best? and what ratio?

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t have a crazy amount of experience with it, but from what I have seen, everything is spotless inside. Plus it’s only like $7 a quart
I’ve got a couple quarts of it. Breaking saws in with it now. I’m seeing really clean results. Might just keep running it till it’s gone!

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve torn lots down at 32:1 and 40:1 and everything is spotless. It needs 32:1 to leave a small puddle of residual oil in the case. But most oils are like that, other than red armor, Honda HP2, and Castrol Go. I like seeing the puddle
I can get Honda HP2 locally at the dealer on a commercial account (lawn care), how does it run in ported saws? (AMSoil Dominator seems at least 3x more $$$ per quart.)

And I have to ask, where does Mystik fall, since it's pretty darn affordable and available locally? (Although at something like 32:1 and how Mystik smells the D.E.A. might pay the jobsite a visit....)

Figure for an MS400C woods port.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a couple quarts of it. Breaking saws in with it now. I’m seeing really clean results. Might just keep running it till it’s gone!
There are some Aussie guys that use it and swear by it. I can’t confirm 100% that it’s the same oil, but given the color and viscosity, we believe it’s the same just marketed under a different name. I think @Vintage Engine Repairs and @rogue60 are familiar with it

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can get Honda HP2 locally at the dealer on a commercial account (lawn care), how does it run in ported saws? (AMSoil Dominator seems at least 3x more $$$ per quart.)

And I have to ask, where does Mystik fall, since it's pretty darn affordable and available locally? (Although at something like 32:1 and how Mystik smells the D.E.A. might pay the jobsite a visit....)

Mystic is Citgo. Their FD sea and snow and air cooled oil are ok. It’s a 32:1 oil in my opinion.
Red Bull Julian used to swear by Honda HP2. I think I have only seen it in a few saws and it was OK. Cleaner burning than most and its thick enough to leave residual oil at 40:1

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve torn lots down at 32:1 and 40:1 and everything is spotless. It needs 32:1 to leave a small puddle of residual oil in the case. But most oils are like that, other than red armor, Honda HP2, and Castrol Go. I like seeing the puddle

This can also apply to other things in life, not just on, or in saws.

drumbum

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 409556
You can see from this training video where they have bottles of Lube Tech oil of several different formulations that were tested before they selected whatever they're using now for the Maxpro.
Bought a gallon of this last year,....the new MaxPro, ($50) but have yet to try it as I still have about a gallon and quarter of Poulan synthetic FD rated (HOP/Spectrum) in the squeeze bottles from when I grabbed a bunch of the 19.6oz. @$5 each.
I'm probably good for a while.....

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Mystic is Citgo. Their FD sea and snow and air cooled oil are ok. It’s a 32:1 oil in my opinion.
Red Bull Julian used to swear by Honda HP2. I think I have only seen it in a few saws and it was OK. Cleaner burning than most and its thick enough to leave residual oil at 40:1
I've been using the Full Synthetic Sea and Snow for a good number of years in my sleds with power valves with good success. I'm not a fan of their semi-synthetic, the power valves carbon up.
With the current promotions and rebates, I was able to get gallons for $20 out the door tx included for gallons. (@Fleet Farm)

From Citgo's website for the full synthetic on this page --> Mystic FAQ small engine oil dropdown.

Mystik JT-4 Synthetic 2-Cycle Snowmobile is recommended for use in 2-cycle engine applications requiring API TC, JASO FC and JASO FD quality oil. It is not recommended for use in outboard marine engines or applications calling for NMMA TC-W3
and
Mystik warranty will back the performance of this product in all JASO FD applications.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing I've often wondered but have never heard talked about is: does 2 stroke oil go bad similar to gasoline?
If a person were to buy a gallon of oil and it takes them 3-4yrs to use it all is it going to lose its lubrication ability (or some of) by the 3rd or 4th year?
I've personally used year old E-10 87oct gas in a mower that seemed to work good as new so I've personally never even seen gas go bad myself.

:smash2:

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing I've often wondered but have never heard talked about is: does 2 stroke oil go bad similar to gasoline?
If a person were to buy a gallon of oil and it takes them 3-4yrs to use it all is it going to lose its lubrication ability (or some of) by the 3rd or 4th year?
I've personally used year old E-10 87oct gas in a mower that seemed to work good as new so I've personally never even seen gas go bad myself.

Just keep the lid tight and give it a shake before you measure it out and you should be good to go.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just keep the lid tight and give it a shake before you measure it out and you should be good to go.
I had thought that would be the case as its far less volatile than gasoline and many kinds include a fuel-stabilizer which would likely help the oil stay good too I'd think

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I’ve read that full synthetic oil does expire around the 5 year mark but Dino oil is good indefinitely. I’m curious if anybody has any further intel on this matter.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What is the cost for HP2? Last time I bought Dominator, it was less than $12/quart.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve read that full synthetic oil does expire around the 5 year mark but Dino oil is good indefinitely. I’m curious if anybody has any further intel on this matter.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t have a crazy amount of experience with it, but from what I have seen, everything is spotless inside. Plus it’s only like $7 a quart
Last year after Schaefer's virtually doubled their prices
I bought 12 quarts at 6.27 a quart
Of the castrol go
I'm sticking with it running 40/1
very clean burning in my saws.
It went up a little since i bought it
I went ahead and ordered 6 more.

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Harvest king back label, could be good could be bad but the label basically says nothing about the quality of it so hard sell in my book don’t care if it’s 23$ a gallon

Attachments

• IMG_8561.png
    IMG_8561.png
    613.6 KB · Views: 10

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the saw that’s being run on the conditioner only. I know Steve has ran it this way, he’s had customers run it this way, Jeff ran two tanks through it, and I’ve ran a few tanks through it. I just went down and pulled the muffler cover off, just for world peace and stuff ;):D
This has been sitting for a few weeks now, without being ran at all, and this is how it looks. More pics to follow.

View attachment 245008 View attachment 245009 View attachment 245010 View attachment 245011 View attachment 245012
Was wondering if the saw being run on the fuel conditioner stuff seen here is still working fine (the mix is of 1 cupful of it and fuel w/no 2 stroke oil) and whether anyone knows a site to order some from? I'd definitely add a bit to my 40:1 mix gas for a little extra protection! Just can't find any.. hard to believe 1 cap-full of this kept the engine working w/o 2 stroke oil.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the stuff I'm talking about that back around page 840-844 was being mixed 1 capfull of it per tank of fuel and the saw ran fine without any 2 stroke oil 1709073075600.png
If anyone knows where to order some from it'd be helpful, I tried ebay and Amazon but couldn't find it

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the stuff I'm talking about that back around page 840-844 was being mixed 1 capfull of it per tank of fuel and the saw ran fine without any 2 stroke oil View attachment 409668
If anyone knows where to order some from it'd be helpful, I tried ebay and Amazon but couldn't find it