What oil is best? and what ratio?

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of some stations selling ethanol gas as non-ethanol, it could be the tanker driver put the wrong fuel in the wrong tank, that I don't know. Needless to say if it sits in humid conditions it can gel up.

However your issue sounds like oil that separated, old oil should be shaken before use. Glad you solved the problem with new fuel filters, a cheap and quick fix.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of some stations selling ethanol gas as non-ethanol, it could be the tanker driver put the wrong fuel in the wrong tank, that I don't know.
I'm gonna be testing the gas in the stations near me this spring for sure!
It's actually easy to do as you just need something like a 100ml graduated cylinder, water, and your fuel for testing.
I've heard too many stories of people testing their fuel only to find the regular pump is 15-20% or the E-0% is E10 or E85 or something.. the fuel is just as (or more) important than the oil mix type.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Needless to say if it sits in humid conditions it can gel up.
I keep my saws sitting right in my living room with full tanks of VP94 SEF and 39:1 Husqvarna XP+ through the winter, kinda hoping the storm I'm getting here tonight will bring some trees down
:aplastao:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna be testing the gas in the stations near me this spring for sure!
It's actually easy to do as you just need something like a 100ml graduated cylinder, water, and your fuel for testing.
I've heard too many stories of people testing their fuel only to find the regular pump is 15-20% or the E-0% is E10 or E85 or something.. the fuel is just as (or more) important than the oil mix type.
I have a graduated cylinder for this. And I test fuel if I’m in doubt. Luckily, the fuel quality locally has improved greatly in the last 10 years. We used to see a lot of ethanol in fuel, and subsequently, water-logged fuel because if it.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a graduated cylinder for this. And I test fuel if I’m in doubt. Luckily, the fuel quality locally has improved greatly in the last 10 years. We used to see a lot of ethanol in fuel, and subsequently, water-logged fuel because if it.
I used to know a guy who thought it was funny to buy the canned fuel from the Tractor supply and replace the fuel/oil mix with regular 87 pump and then return them to the store, there's typically no real seal on the cans. not sure, but I hope that they don't allow returns on the canned fuel anymore.

drumbum

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to know a guy who thought it was funny to buy the canned fuel from the Tractor supply and replace the fuel/oil mix with regular 87 pump and then return them to the store, there's typically no real seal on the cans. not sure, but I hope that they don't allow returns on the canned fuel anymore.
He musta been a riot at parties. Has anyone ended him yet?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He needs to be horse whipped.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I worked at a Yamaha dealership 20 years ago, we had people buying the oil and filters during week, and returning them a few days later when someone else was at the counter. I found out after one of the other employees asked me what they should do with the returned products - yep you guessed it, used oil in the bottle and a used filter wrapped in plastic in the filter box. They got a $40-50 oil change for free.. I hate thief’s.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stored my saws since Nov with canned Husky fuel mix, yesterday I burned that stuff out and a gallon of Dominator at 40:1 through them, and both the 550 and 572 seem to make more power when running the Dominator

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I worked at a Yamaha dealership 20 years ago, we had people buying the oil and filters during week, and returning them a few days later when someone else was at the counter. I found out after one of the other employees asked me what they should do with the returned products - yep you guessed it, used oil in the bottle and a used filter wrapped in plastic in the filter box. They got a $40-50 oil change for free.. I hate thief’s.
Some people need their Azz kicked! Should have found out who it was and sold it back to him next time.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen standard oil filters swapped boxes with a tough guard or a synthetic filter in big box stores before. I always check em if they aren’t sealed boxes before I buy.
Also I reckon a ram horn pipe will actually remove the ethanol from the fuel for a more optimum burn friends…

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are some Aussie guys that use it and swear by it. I can’t confirm 100% that it’s the same oil, but given the color and viscosity, we believe it’s the same just marketed under a different name. I think @Vintage Engine Repairs and @rogue60 are familiar with it
I believe castrol GO, is similar to Castrol Garden 2t out here :) its fb rated mineral oil. It’s quite a smoky oil until the engine is hot. Castrol also produce a similar but thinner, slightly higher quality fc oil called castrol activ 2t. I do prefer it, but don’t tend to use it much as again the smoke gives me a headache. Though, you’re spot on, Rogue uses both and has some of the best results you can expect. Professional use for 20 years of hard work at 25:1. He’s torn down a bunch of saws run on it and it’s cleaner than most home owner low hour saws. He runs mostly active, but some garden too.

Most of the time now I use Saber in both mine and my customers equipment, I find it’s really clean but most importantly it doesn’t produce much smoke, smells nice and doesn’t give me a headache. I just hate I have to pay 25 USD plus postage per quart.

This is 8 tanks on my 660 I rebuilt on Saber at 40:1 - piston, rings and cylinder are all used parts, hyst decarboned.

IMG_5660.jpegIMG_5661.jpegIMG_5662.jpegIMG_5663.jpeg

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much do you all pay for a quart of saber?
Edit: though I pay $25 us for a quart of saber, that is cheap compared to the rate at which we go through bar oil LOL.

Last edited:

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i got the saber that i have for ten dollars from a dealer that had a partial gallon jug there was about three or four inches deep left in tue bottom. it was a screamin deal im sure.