I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sticky crap. Fills mufflers with goo.
One thing I really liked about the Dominator over Red Armor is it readily mixes with fuel. When I use RA in my ratio-rite, I have to pour in little raw fuel and stir to get it to mix completely before going into my mix jug. Could be the base oils and viscocity differences.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am interested to see how mixed 2 stroke oil is effected by sub zero temps. They say most of 4 strokes engines wear comes from start up and is accelerated in freezing conditions. Does starting saws in freezing conditions increase wear and letting it idle in those conditions be more critical?

Asmoil is good at getting oils to keep low viscosity at a sub freezing temps.
In 4 stroke vehicles most of the wear from cold starts is from fuel (choke) washing oil off the bores and no oil pressure on initial start up. I can see in freezing conditions the above would be worse and last longer until the engine gets some warmth into it.
Not sure if cold starts in 2T chainsaws matter much as the fuel being dumped in on choke has oil in it?
Actually thinking about it obviously it doesn't as some guy's tune on the very rich side with saws with little to no problems?. Yet you can't tune a 4T rich and get long life out of the engine it does the same as choke but worse also contaminates the oil in the sump with raw fuel and the longer the engine is run like this the more diluted the oil gets.
I imagine where some of you guy's live when it gets really cold warming up a saw would be beneficial at preventing cold seizure, could even have oil separation if it's really cold?
I've never worried about warming saws up where I live as it doesn't get anything close to what you guys call cold.

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red Armor being thick can be a bítch to start a saw if it’s really cold.

BUT
That tells you it’s still in the bearings and on the walls
That was my opinion as well. As long as I can get the saw moving pulling it thicker oil doesn’t bother me

Reason I mention it at all is my 288 is nearly too much for me to start when it’s cold cold out. Like 20s outside. I usually cut when it’s real cold outside because usually around a woods you can get out of the wind and the ground is frozen.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red Armor leaves a pretty sticky residue after it’s mixed with gas and has been spilled and reevaporated in my experience. I’ve gotten some muffler goo too, especially at 40/1 or 32/1 too.

I’ve also noticed is that it takes a few more pulls to start my saw if it’s been stored with RA. Like it’s gotta warm up that thick coating to get the piston moving smoothly. I’m in an uninsulated garage tho so it’s making me feel better about storing them in the damp/dry/damp environment.

Like any good oil, If it doesn’t blow up your top end and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your about your oil choices… that’s what oil threads are really about.

That and making fun of Stihl Ultra Hp

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red Armor being thick can be a bítch to start a saw if it’s really cold.

BUT
That tells you it’s still in the bearings and on the walls
I have to warm my ported non decomp saws up in winter or leave them in the cab of the truck
I've broken three recoils on a 266 Steve ported.
When it was cold
It have a non decomp 288 with the base cut a guy swore was locked up
It's probably 220+ comp

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red Armor leaves a pretty sticky residue after it’s mixed with gas and has been spilled and reevaporated in my experience. I’ve gotten some muffler goo too, especially at 40/1 or 32/1 too.

I’ve also noticed is that it takes a few more pulls to start my saw if it’s been stored with RA. Like it’s gotta warm up that thick coating to get the piston moving smoothly. I’m in an uninsulated garage tho so it’s making me feel better about storing them in the damp/dry/damp environment.

Like any good oil, If it doesn’t blow up your top end and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your about your oil choices… that’s what oil threads are really about.

That and making fun of Stihl Ultra Hp
It must've about been 10 years now since I bought my first shindaiwa red armor
I repaired a bunch of vintage saws that were only run on usually whatever dino oil was around
For decades or even Stihl ultra from the local dealer
After some runtime with the red armor
The deposits would loosen and run out of the muffler
Sometimes a large amount of sludge would run down the saws
Price got to expensive to continue running it
It more than doubled in a year
I don't know if the new version is as good as the old but it was impressive back then.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
11:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"price got to expensive"

That was exactly my thought.
Paid $17/ 16 oz for Red Armor or $1.06 an oz.
$15/32 oz for Dominator or $0.46 an oz

For reference Walmart super tech synthetic is $2.10/6.4 oz
or $0.33 an ounce. It appears to lubricate ok ... But it stinks and leaves carbon deposits behind.

Two years ago I could buy Dominator for $10 a quart...shoulda stocked up.🙄

Last edited:

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible to run a ported saw on 50:1 and expect any longevity from it?