Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My ban is up :) I like the new signature Woodpecker lol. Joking aside, hindsight is 20:20 and the rude comments were unnecessary of me - I wanted to publicly apologise (rather than just pm you) and say I am sorry for any offence @Woodpecker , and honestly, I’m a little embarrassed. I guess we all say or do stupid things some times and this was one of them for me. I’m not proud of it.

Yep I have a lot to learn, probably saying less and listening more is a good start. To those who don’t like me, I don’t really blame you, I can be a pain / annoying sometimes, over enthusiastic, try and help where I maybe shouldn’t and say the occasional stupid thing that I later regret (and try to delete!!) but it’s something I’m working on.

I don’t like how I behaved here, or on arb-site afterwards.
No excuses, it was childish and I apologise, it won’t happen again.
In my book…..you’re damn good man. Most have an ego that won’t allow them to apologize.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
My ban is up :) I like the new signature Woodpecker lol. Joking aside, hindsight is 20:20 and the rude comments were unnecessary of me - I wanted to publicly apologise (rather than just pm you) and say I am sorry for any offence @Woodpecker , and honestly, I’m a little embarrassed. I guess we all say or do stupid things some times and this was one of them for me. I’m not proud of it.

Yep I have a lot to learn, probably saying less and listening more is a good start. To those who don’t like me, I don’t really blame you, I can be a pain / annoying sometimes, over enthusiastic, try and help where I maybe shouldn’t and say the occasional stupid thing that I later regret (and try to delete!!) but it’s something I’m working on.

I don’t like how I behaved here, or on arb-site afterwards.
No excuses, it was childish and I apologise, it won’t happen again.
Welcome back and good on ya for manning up and apologizing :borra2:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just spend that Stihl stuff at a higher ratio in anything that doesn't blow exhaust gasses into Your face!

I'd burn it in my 110$ weedwhacker , got rid of multiple 2-stroke oils I didn't like in that thing.
I also burn fuel mix people give me for cutting down/up a tree or so, even though I specifically insist on not to be given ANY fuel because I trust only my own purchases and mix ratios - I just ad my own oil irregardless whether it is supposed to be clean or mix fuel and blow it through the whacker.

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ratios of 25:1 & 32:1 date from the old days of mixing car sump oil into petrol, shaking it till your eyeballs rolled around backwards on every refill because the oil neither dissolved or dispersed into the fuel.
Modern 2 stroke oils should be run 50:1 or thinner because the oils are high detergent / dispersant and will mix uniformally into the petrol and stay that way for a very long time .
However chainsaw companies are not run by engineers who know what hey are talking about.
hey are run by risk adverse accountants who dream up all possible sinerios ( most that would be impossible to happen in the real world ) and market their products accordingly .
Thus they keep on quoting 25:1 & 32:1 regardless of the fact that those ratios have been obsolete since the 90's new generation of smokeless ( actually ashless , but you see the ash as smoke ) oils were introduced .

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Ratios of 25:1 & 32:1 date from the old days of mixing car sump oil into petrol, shaking it till your eyeballs rolled around backwards on every refill because the oil neither dissolved or dispersed into the fuel.
Modern 2 stroke oils should be run 50:1 or thinner because the oils are high detergent / dispersant and will mix uniformally into the petrol and stay that way for a very long time .
However chainsaw companies are not run by engineers who know what hey are talking about.
hey are run by risk adverse accountants who dream up all possible sinerios ( most that would be impossible to happen in the real world ) and market their products accordingly .
Thus they keep on quoting 25:1 & 32:1 regardless of the fact that those ratios have been obsolete since the 90's new generation of smokeless ( actually ashless , but you see the ash as smoke ) oils were introduced .
9B19A442-4386-404C-BD4A-E58BE8DE9850.jpegYou may want to go check out the bob is the oil guy forum. This isn’t the thread you are looking for.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not aware of any saws for sale today in the United States, by any manufacturer, that recommend anything heavier than 40:1.. In fact most suggest 50:1. Please provide examples of your above quote..

Also, air cooled 2 strokes typically require Low-Ash oils, since the ash absorbs some of the heat and carries it away. As compared to Ash-Less oils required in liquid cooled 2 strokes, such as snowmobiles and dirt bikes..

Edit: Full disclosure, I mix my saws 40:1 with Amsoil Dominator. Except my TreeMonkey 661 which I mix 32:1 as recommended. I may very well just start mixing 32:1 for all my saws to make it easier. After all, todays oils burn so clean that there’s nothing to worry about as far as carbon deposits. At least not in my saws.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what 50:1 does to a 562 in 300 hours. The same saw now has over 1000 hours on it with new bearings using 32:1.

Dated or not, I’ll keep on recommending it based on my findings, not what I read in a brochure

AED5A11A-AA1A-46DB-9E41-7FC9CC68222A.jpeg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what 50:1 does to a 562 in 300 hours. The same saw now has over 1000 hours on it with new bearings using 32:1.

Dated or not, I’ll keep on recommending it based on my findings, not what I read in a brochure

View attachment 375373
Speak of 562s

I gave Bubba one for Christmas. Used it yesterday to buck up a pretty good sized hickory. Its getting pretty well broken in now. Pulls really good for a 59cc saw.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
6:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are very solid
I've used the *s-worde outta mine, it mostly wears a 24" now but it started with a 28 and spent a day with a 32 for fun. Outside of an annoying habit of having the clutch cover rattle off if I'm cutting oak (particularly bore cutting) it's held up beautifully.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You people really should take into account that any high quality/brand manufacturer of 2-stroke OPE must comply to environmental regulations, hence the stated 50:1 & 100:1 mix ratios.
This does not guarantee longevity of the equipment, rather barely a lifespan past the warranty - if the user is lucky!

50:1 is the thinnest I'd go no matter what the label on a 2-stroke oil bottle states.
I always try to mix 25ml of "50:1" oil into 1 liter or less of pump fuel.
This practice served me well so far.

I will make it up to the environment and mother nature by diligent recycling of trash!