What oil is best? and what ratio?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I look at it this way Jeff, if 50:1 is for stock saws, then ported or modified saws that run faster and stronger should have more protection, so I go with a better oil and 40:1.

If the additional oil makes your saw last longer, it is worth every penny.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I just read from page 900 to present and don't know what this thread determined. I was on AS a year or more ago and most of them liked and used red armor@40 to 1 so I switched. Am I still good or is there a new wonder oil?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I just read from page 900 to present and don't know what this thread determined. I was on AS a year or more ago and most of them liked and used red armor@40 to 1 so I switched. Am I still good or is there a new wonder oil?
Dominater is the new wonder oil. Red armor is still solid as giraffe nuts

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone tell me the text I just got about Dex isn't true...

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use only Aspen pre Mix in my Saws. For the weed Trimmer i use Stihl oil 1:40 because i hve it here and its enough in it for the next 6 Years's

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. Why would you? If it works for you, carry on.

I remember using the Poulan synthetic oil that Walmart sells for years. It worked fine....and was easy to get.

I refuse to give Walmart my money anymore, but I will say their store brand oil and filters are damn good. The filters were made by Champion Filter which is an OEM supplier. The oil was Pennzoil for a long time, maybe still is.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I refuse to give Walmart my money anymore, but I will say their store brand oil and filters are damn good. The filters were made by Champion Filter which is an OEM supplier. The oil was Pennzoil for a long time, maybe still is.
The oil is Warren around here now. At least the 15w40 is. I used it for top up oil for a while. It was fine. I’d rather run something a click better than Warren. I know nothing about synthetic motor oil. I personally don’t like it

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I look at it this way Jeff, if 50:1 is for stock saws, then ported or modified saws that run faster and stronger should have more protection, so I go with a better oil and 40:1.

If the additional oil makes your saw last longer, it is worth every penny.

I got 16 seasons and many hours of use on a Poulan weedwacker feeding it 36:1 with store brand synthetic and a healthy dose of stabilizer. She finally lost enough compression from honest wear and wouldn't start anymore. New jug, piston, and rings and she is good to go again.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oil is Warren around here now. At least the 15w40 is. I used it for top up oil for a while. It was fine. I’d rather run something a click better than Warren. I know nothing about synthetic motor oil. I personally don’t like it

I talked to the guy who filled up our shop's oil tank from the Apollo Oil bottling plant in the early 2000's. He told me that they had lines of different bottles that passed under a giant Pennzoil tank for filling. One row of bottles was Walmart brand, another was Pennzoil, then other store brands. Of course that may not be true anymore. Rural King oil is Citgo, and I have been using them for years with good success.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked to the guy who filled up our shop's oil tank from the Apollo Oil bottling plant in the early 2000's. He told me that they had lines of different bottles that passed under a giant Pennzoil tank for filling. One row of bottles was Walmart brand, another was Pennzoil, then other store brands. Of course that may not be true anymore. Rural King oil is Citgo, and I have been using them for years with good success.
Likely correct. The new stuff I got had Warren stamped right on the bottom of the jug. They probably changed to save a nickel. I’d buy it like crazy if it was penzoil

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Walmart oil....and who made it.

ExxonMobil

The best way to tell if the oil was made by ExxonMobil is by looking at the bottle cap. It’s larger than a normal Supertech cap and will be similar or exactly the same as the caps found on Mobil 1 oil bottles.

Warren
Most of Walmart’s synthetic motor oils are made by Warren. The best way to tell if you’re buying a Warren-made oil is by looking for a white rectangle on the front or back label. The rectangle can be blank, have a number inside it, or have a QR code.

Pennzoil
Pennzoil-made oil can be identified by the packaging stamp. Because it’s packaged by Constar, it will have a small letter C with a star inside it on the bottom of the container. However, keep in mind that Warren will also use Constar packaging if they’re running short on their own, so check whether there’s a white rectangle on the labels to confirm or rule out Warren as the manufacturer.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Walmart oil....and who made it.

ExxonMobil

The best way to tell if the oil was made by ExxonMobil is by looking at the bottle cap. It’s larger than a normal Supertech cap and will be similar or exactly the same as the caps found on Mobil 1 oil bottles.

Warren
Most of Walmart’s synthetic motor oils are made by Warren. The best way to tell if you’re buying a Warren-made oil is by looking for a white rectangle on the front or back label. The rectangle can be blank, have a number inside it, or have a QR code.

Pennzoil
Pennzoil-made oil can be identified by the packaging stamp. Because it’s packaged by Constar, it will have a small letter C with a star inside it on the bottom of the container. However, keep in mind that Warren will also use Constar packaging if they’re running short on their own, so check whether there’s a white rectangle on the labels to confirm or rule out Warren as the manufacturer.
This is interesting. Where did you find this tidbit of info?