What oil is best? and what ratio?

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should switch to a good oil at 40:1. But it's not my saw.
LOL. Minor derail:

My brother refuses to run anything other than 50:1. He's burned up a nice 044 twice, and blamed it on other problems, but come to find out, he refuses to take a tuning screwdriver into the woods. His 261 was having problems idling, which the local Stihler blamed on not using 50:1 oil, so he took it home with them never opening the hood, and switched mix. I was cutting wood with him not long after that, and noticed that it needed new clutch springs. Problem solved.

Long story short, he's always having trouble with his saws, but refuses to tune them when running them, and will only use oil at 50:1 (at least I got him to go away from Stihl Ultra and use a good air cooled scooter oil). My saws live fat and happy at about 35:1 and a just a little bit fat tune, and never have problems other than the typical wear and tear. Makes you wonder... o_O

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. Minor derail:

My brother refuses to run anything other than 50:1. He's burned up a nice 044 twice, and blamed it on other problems, but come to find out, he refuses to take a tuning screwdriver into the woods. His 261 was having problems idling, which the local Stihler blamed on not using 50:1 oil, so he took it home with them never opening the hood, and switched mix. I was cutting wood with him not long after that, and noticed that it needed new clutch springs. Problem solved.

Long story short, he's always having trouble with his saws, but refuses to tune them when running them, and will only use oil at 50:1 (at least I got him to go away from Stihl Ultra and use a good air cooled scooter oil). My saws live fat and happy at about 35:1 and a just a little bit fat tune, and never have problems other than the typical wear and tear. Makes you wonder... o_O
What scooter oil is best

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought Ipone was designed for snow machines?

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought Ipone was designed for snow machines?
They have several different lines of oil, including a snow machine oil that I have also run. I like that one too, but you can't get it in the US anymore. You can still get scoot city, though, and it's still an FD rated oil, so good enough for me.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. Minor derail:

I've burned gallons and gallons of mix, at 50:1 with the old Stihl Dino and Newer Ultra for years. Not a single issue.
Even ran my first ported 026 on Ultra at 50:1 for years. (We call it the angry saw)

I now run approx 40:1 in my hopped up 440 and hopped up 261. Not much history with that mix though. Maybe 20-25 gallons so far.

GerbrandR

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this oil still considered a good one? I believe that it was discontinued in the US or North America all together a while ago.
In Europe it's still available. I bought a few bottles last year. I mix it with Aspen fuel (the non 2 stroke mix). For my hobby usage it's a goodMOB00960_Vorne.jpeg option.