What oil is best? and what ratio?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nop is only to meet epa emissions and better mileage due to less friction with the oil being so thin. Thin doesn't mean better engine protection especially if it's hot or actually worked hard not sure if it's in use yet? I don't actually keep up with oil and new cars but the next great epa oil is 0W 8 from car manufacturers that should be some awesome all round oil lol
OK

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't take my word for it google it all the information is freely out there manufacturers are open with why they use thinner oils to help meet epa emission regulations and marketing it all about the 0.00001% better fuel mileage so the public laps it up lol

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a 0w 40 the only difference is on startup vs 15w40.

I’ve run 0 40 in the winter. Some of it is very good oil.

so 0 w 20 vs 5w 20. Same. Still 20 weight at operation.

I’m no oil expert. By far. I run 15 40 in cars that ask for 0 20. All the time. No motor issues. Standard oil non synthetic

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What do your numbers mean? No idea what you are talking about. Was Schaeffer's 9000 tested? Probably similar results as the 7000...

The Dominator is expensive, $120 per gallon on Amazon. Probably worth it if you cut a lot. Oil has went up; Schaeffers 9000 is up to $80/gal now, which is what I have been using. Think I paid $60-70 for a gallon last time.

I am not loyal to any brand. I have used a lot of different oils and nothing has blown up yet. No, I don't tear a saw apart to verify the oil is working like it is supposed to; you guys can do that and report your findings. I was planning on buying Schaeffers 9000 again when I needed some.
Hey bud. If you plan on being at Kevins in September this year I'll explain in detail what this is all about if interested. There is way more to this than those numbers. Those numbers posted by @Moparmyway are how long each unit ran at 300:1 after having completed the 200:1 testing. The first 6 oils also went through 100:1 first.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a 0w 40 the only difference is on startup vs 15w40.

I’ve run 0 40 in the winter. Some of it is very good oil.

so 0 w 20 vs 5w 20. Same. Still 20 weight at operation.

I’m no oil expert. By far. I run 15 40 in cars that ask for 0 20. All the time. No motor issues. Standard oil non synthetic
Actually no on the Xw40s mate.
Car (0 5 10 W 40) are thinner based on viscosity tests than Heavy Diesel 15W40 for the 40 part.
The API folks need a slap for introducing even more confusion.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
only a select few can see the oil tests and results.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually no on the Xw40s mate.
Car (0 5 10 W 40) are thinner based on viscosity tests than Heavy Diesel 15W40 for the 40 part.
The API folks need a slap for introducing even more confusion.
Correct. Yes you are correct on the diesel oil.

For the standard gasoline engine oil 5-20 0-20
Same at operating

heavy duty diesel oil same applies.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For example Mobil has a turbo diesel 0 40 which would be the same viscosity at operating temperatures as say she’ll 15 40.

they have to be by law. At least within certain parameters. That’s all I know about oils.

but I do use plenty of both gas engine and Diesel engine oils.

I use a hell of a lot of 15 40 diesel oil in my gasoline rigs.
For myself I see better results with holding the full mark in my vehicles

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Correct. Yes you are correct on the diesel oil.

For the standard gasoline engine oil 5-20 0-20
Same at operating

heavy duty diesel oil same applies.

For example Mobil has a turbo diesel 0 40 which would be the same viscosity at operating temperatures as say she’ll 15 40.

they have to be by law. At least within certain parameters. That’s all I know about oils.

but I do use plenty of both gas engine and Diesel engine oils.

I use a hell of a lot of 15 40 diesel oil in my gasoline rigs.
For myself I see better results with holding the full mark in my vehicles
You'll get no argument from me about using HDEO where you can.
Delo and Rimula (Rotella) for the win where available.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last smashed 441 I picked up was from a tree company, and before that I was using Stihl ultra ,so were they.
When I disassembled the top end the carbon buildup was tremendous and thats what I was trying to avoid!
I switched to red armor mostly based on what some of the reputable members on here were posting, but honestly I don't think I could do worse.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll get no argument from me about using HDEO where you can.
Delo and Rimula (Rotella) for the win where available.
Agreed

we get rimula and rotella both by the barrel. Depends on who has a deal. The extra detergents in the diesel oils typically work very well on gasoline engines.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What oil do I purchase ?
Dominator
Why ?
The list is extensive, but the number one reason is because I have seen what the insides, ALL of the insides, look like, on my own equipment. This includes the bottom end, the top end, the rings, the ring lands, the combustion chamber, the top of the piston, the spark plug, the exhaust port, the muffler, the muffler exit .......... get my point ?

All of this pales in comparison to the performance I have seen with Dominator, for example: how it holds its tune, how crisply it tunes, how it smells, and finally how it tastes, Yes, it tastes gooder than any other oil I have tasted. Those of you that actually run your saws will know what I mean about tasting oil, without drinking it, or the cool aide that you've been fed
I've got some old Mccullochs and a Remington that will probably always smell/taste like hd30 weight oil no matter what I put in they now.