Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
9:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah that guy is a good salesmen not lol
He don't really know what he's talking about. Says he's YZ just blow up running 25:1 not once but twice! hes bike looks like a older exc the new KTMs 2T's are recommend from the factory 60 or 70:1 mix it's an EPA thing most KTM rider's are brainwashed oil is eavl now days. They go through topends and cranks in crazy low hrs but think it's normal lol
Not all get low hr's some just putt around and get more life out of there 70:1 mix engine's. Think KTM went back to recommend 50:1 after so many problems?mate had a new exc300 couple years ago it was 60:1 after a few topends and barrels worn the plating through he jetted it for 40:1 recons it run heaps better and he didn't need a new topend just going down the shops and back lol he rides like a nutter on the back wheel everywhere not a putta rounda.
That Two Stroke Performance place i tagged you in Rogue recommends 40 to 50:1 for Kato's. End of story for me, Motorex Cross Power until i run out, then 2R most probably. Book says 60:1, but that's for the tree huggers not the engine protectors of this planet.....

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If only they could be convinced that properly maintained long lasting "dirty" equipment is actually better for the planet than hair-brained epa type short sighted ideas ay mate. Think Exhaust Gas Recirc, etc etc......Marine world is the same, 2 strokes are smokey, only new tech 4 strokes are allowed. Consequence, everyone has two outboards. The clean one on the boat and the "dirty" one that no one else wants now...twice as much production to do one job. Insane.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That Two Stroke Performance place i tagged you in Rogue recommends 40 to 50:1 for Kato's. End of story for me, Motorex Cross Power until i run out, then 2R most probably. Book says 60:1, but that's for the tree huggers not the engine protectors of this planet.....
KTM must be reading this oil thread lol

20200614_000217.jpg

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah mines a 2017 TE250, the first year of the Mikuni and defo 60:1 recommended. TSP carb mods made massive difference. I didn't know KTM had changed oil ratio rec'
TE250 nice bike ya lucky bugger I don't own anything that morden would be a dream to ride compered to my old tanks.
Not nocking KTM good bikes it's all the EPA crap coming down on 2T's that they change there oil mixers.
I don't keep up with it all but the young 125 race guy's were getting something like 25hrs out of there cranks KTM actually found it hard to keep parts up was a back order on a lot of engine parts when that 60:1 came in.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah mines a 2017 TE250, the first year of the Mikuni and defo 60:1 recommended. TSP carb mods made massive difference. I didn't know KTM had changed oil ratio rec'
I think that was just the 125 40:1 250/300 I think was back 50:1 IDK is all so confusing lol
My old bikes had a sticker on the back mudgaurd that said 32:1 very easy to follow.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TE250 nice bike ya lucky bugger I don't own anything that morden would be a dream to ride compered to my old tanks.
Not nocking KTM good bikes it's all the EPA crap coming down on 2T's that they change there oil mixers.
I don't keep up with it all but the young 125 race guy's were getting something like 25hrs out of there cranks KTM actually found it hard to keep parts up was a back order on a lot of engine parts when that 60:1 came in.
I have spent a heap of time and a probably a bit of money getting that TE to ride just like a K series RM250. Which you have. Lets call it even. Those RM multi-taper needles are engineering personified.
My previous 06 Kato bottom end did hundreds of hours on 50:1 Repsol and Motorex before needing seals, probably still running now. Unlike Kawasaki's 'special' bearings, KTM drawings show for instance 'wheel bearing, 6203'. They are good to self service despite the rhetoric.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heres my MS660 after running a few gallons of Yamalube 2R at 40:1 with E free gas. Cross MMWS cylinder and Hyway pop-up (changing to a Meteor and deleting base gasket):
View attachment 245645 View attachment 245646 View attachment 245647 View attachment 245648 View attachment 245649
Do you mean few gallons of fuel all up run time on that top end? or a few gallons of run time just using that oil on top of whatever hrs the saw already had?
Just my 2c I don't like what I'm seeing that load side piston skirt wear is not good for few gallons? means for whatever reason there is a lack of a good oil layer to stop the skirt under load rubbing on the bore. The rest of the piston looks relatively unmarked so it's not beach sand that got in there and did that.
Like I said just my 2c.

Last edited:

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the Sth Isle use Imperial or US gallons again bro, i always forget.......:aplastao:

aaanndd, why you pull down, no likey?
:cunaooooo: Imperial of course bro, cause that's what the old motherland uses. I pulled it down cause I've had two of those Hyway pop-ups disintegrate in MS660's I've worked on for other people. Don't trust them at all, one time the piston pin clip popped out, the second, pictured below the piston pin has flogged out the piston bosses:
20200511_194718.jpg 20200511_195202.jpg

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you mean few gallons of fuel all up run time on that top end? or a few gallons of run time just using that oil on top of whatever hrs the saw already had?
Just my 2c I don't like what I'm seeing that load side piston skirt wear is not good for 6 gallons? means there is a lack of a good oil layer to stop the skirt under load rubbing on the bore. The rest of the piston looks relatively unmarked so it's not beach sand that got in there and did that.
Like I said just my 2c.
I was looking at that intake side wear too and wondering what's caused it. The saw was completely rebuilt with a new piston 2 years ago and it certainly hasn't had excessive use in that time but it mostly has been with a 36 inch bar. I initially ran Stihl Ultra in it and then learned better and switched to Yamalube 2R about a year or so ago. I run a Maxflo so no chance of dust.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've yet to have any of my saws run poorly on 32:1 and my saws tend to run OK, there's always time for that to happen though, just haven't seen it yet. Seems like the modern saws are more prone to that though. My trimmers and other handhelds get 44:1 my big backpack blower "79.7cc" likes a little more oil, it was just a hair too dry inside at 50:1[emoji6]

It’s the auto tune saws....and my 25cc MS150 that act up on 32:1. The 044 type stuff runs great even on 25:1.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking at that intake side wear too and wondering what's caused it. The saw was completely rebuilt with a new piston 2 years ago and it certainly hasn't had excessive use in that time but it mostly has been with a 36 inch bar. I initially ran Stihl Ultra in it and then learned better and switched to Yamalube 2R about a year or so ago. I run a Maxflo so no chance of dust.
They all wear on the load side but usually it takes a lot of hrs to get them to look like that unless it's a 661 think they come from the factory looking like that lol