What oil is best? and what ratio?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I read both threads right through mate, can't argue with the longevity of your kit. I would ask why you settled on 32:1 for small saws, 25:1 for larger? My pea brain thinks smaller saws, if anything, need more oil due to higher revs, or is that just my dirt bike brainwashing taking over?

anyhow, activ 2t msds to pore over.......

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read both threads right through mate, can't argue with the longevity of your kit. I would ask why you settled on 32:1 for small saws, 25:1 for larger? My pea brain thinks smaller saws, if anything, need more oil due to higher revs, or is that just my dirt bike brainwashing taking over?

anyhow, activ 2t msds to pour over.......
I just found 32:1 running that mineral oil was plenty of oil in smaller saw's they get abit smokey the big saws are fine at 25:1 and tune nice would I run that oil at 50:1 hell no.
Got to remember bikes and woefully under powered for there cc industrial chainsaw engines are like chalk and cheese.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes? Thats a saw I just rebuilt. Heres the 346xp
View attachment 245239
One of the bosses at work gave me one that era to service, 2011. I have no clue why a ~50 needs a decomp, or what point there was to a primer bulb. I liked the starter screws tho, hex/flat, nice. Carb limiters good too. "i couldnt tune it, so if it plays up its on you"...this gentleman is rough on gear, and only remembers me when his saws need work. Servicing it entailed banging 9 years of crud out of the top covers and fitting a rim sprocket that had actual drive teeth....

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
1:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the bosses at work gave me one that era to service, 2011. I have no clue why a ~50 needs a decomp, or what point there was to a primer bulb. I liked the starter screws tho, hex/flat, nice. Carb limiters good too. "i couldnt tune it, so if it plays up its on you"...this gentleman is rough on gear, and only remembers me when his saws need work. Servicing it entailed banging 9 years of crud out of the top covers and fitting a rim sprocket that had actual drive teeth....
This one has the primer bulb bypassed and a 357 carb/filter system . Awesome lil saws

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
2:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure you read the back of the bottle. There is an important warning there about metal cans.
Whats the warning say ?
Can only get it by the gallon ............ $42
Not bad, might have to try some .............................. GREAT, more oil under the bench
:confused:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats the warning say ?
Can only get it by the gallon ............ $42
Not bad, might have to try some .............................. GREAT, more oil under the bench
:confused:

I absolutely refuse to try any "new" oils.

The oil I'm using is fine.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you sure? Never know. There could always be a "better" oil. Just sayin.

We are already into a whole nuther level of overkill on oil. I've found an oil that works well in any saw from the smallest to the largest, autotune, m-tronic, or adjustable. No stink, no nasty discharge. Excellent protection, and easily available.

Now.....why would I want to try a different oil?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We are already into a whole nuther level of overkill on oil. I've found an oil that works well in any saw from the smallest to the largest, autotune, m-tronic, or adjustable. No stink, no nasty discharge. Excellent protection, and easily available.

Now.....why would I want to try a different oil?
Took too long to get there.
Agreed

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sense some closemindedness going on in here...[emoji848]

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think we all think like that.
I'd like to grab some Schaefer's 7000 and try it.
I am always trying stuff and experimenting. Informed experimentation though. Lol