What oil is best? and what ratio?

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was under the impression that ethanol attracts moisture, something you wouldn't want in a chainsaw. And rust is a major concern. Enough not to use some oils. Opinions seem to change alot on a forum.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dirt bike's Chainsaws Guns and ADB yep that about sums up my childhood lol I've allways had bikes in my life.
I've run it in a few 80cc 200cc 250cc but not in a 125cc not owned a 125 in a long time last 125 I had was when I was bout 20.
My next build will be a 125 when I finish of my RM250 parts are drying up for the old 2Ts and getting costly..
This is my 1990 I restored not stacked it yet lol
View attachment 245134

Not much left to do to my 2002 RM250 was a mess when I got it ground up rebuild finding a nice stock pipe only took about 2 years...
View attachment 245135

I'm an old fart now days I take it easy on bikes you actually feel pain the older ya get lol

Awesome bro!!

I've had an 89 KDX200, 97 KX250 with heavy flywheel and Mark Patterson Suspension, an 06 US KTM250XC and currently a 17 Husq TE250. Our riding is mostly plantation pine forest and hilly grassed farmland and all that comes with that.

The KX was built from a box of bits... "it went in the ocean and then stopped"......new electrosil cylinder etc, you don't know the meaning of the word proprietary until you've done a Kawasaki up ay!

K series RM250's are the goods! Very highly regarded here, and source of the ultimate KTM jetting needles.....

I'm 48, i only ride with guys of similar age, keeps everything a bit saner.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah in my 088's only saw's of mine I think I've run 800 in oil sludge does comes out the exhaust but not like heaps.
But that wasn't a worry for me all the bike oils I've tried in saw's make sludge out the exhaust not that I've tried that may bike oils in saw's I just stick to my mineral oil in saw's. Oil sludge is just part of a 2T mx bike if the muffler was dry on a dirt bike running synthetic oil I'd be worried.
Actually this vid you have all seen I was running 800 in my 088 in this vid at 32:1
I remember I just finished working on it and cleaned it up I thought I'd run 800 to be all chainsaw racey like they do on the chainsaws forums running the flash bike oils lol
Not saying it's the best oil out there just saying I've not seen anything bad from running it in 121cc saw's not that I've run it in saw's that much going back to my good mineral oil probably cleans it all back out??

Whats this australasian mineral oil you speak of Rogue?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rogue has some real nice ol dirties...I remember ADB, read a stack of them mags. I 'think' member Terrysyd used to do a tech column in ADB. Always loved the shoot-outs between different models, that mag was worth its money good write ups, new fancy products. I remember saving my pocket money for eternity to buy some Smith roll-offs...the googles that cleaned themselves. A pair of Alpinestars was out of the question as they cost more than my bike lol. Bike mags are ghey now days compared to ADB.

I've read a few @Terry Syd posts, someday i even hope to understand them, he is next level 2T guru so it would not surprise me at all...care to confirm or deny Mr Terry?

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that was me. I used to write a lot of tech articles for ADB. I would sit down on a milk crate next to the bike and 'Zen' out for a bit. Something eventually would bubble up in my consciousness.

It paid for all my dirt biking expenses, plus I got to meet a lot of cool people and ride with them.

I would do a lot of research for each article. I had to be able to communicate a concept to some bloke that had been riding for 30 days AND I had to be able keep the interest of some bloke that had been riding and wrenching for 30 years. Sometimes I would be reading tech articles from the 1930s to get some ideas.

I stayed away from model specific type of articles and worked with concepts that anyone with any bike could use. The only limitation I ran into was discussing two or four stroke engines, that tended to limit the scope of the discussion.

Crikey, that was 30+ years ago... And you're right, the early years of ADB were a hoot. We specialized in being non-politically correct. You'd never get away today with some of the stuff we pulled back then.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that was me. I used to write a lot of tech articles for ADB. I would sit down on a milk crate next to the bike and 'Zen' out for a bit. Something eventually would bubble up in my consciousness.

It paid for all my dirt biking expenses, plus I got to meet a lot of cool people and ride with them.

I would do a lot of research for each article. I had to be able to communicate a concept to some bloke that had been riding for 30 days AND I had to be able keep the interest of some bloke that had been riding and wrenching for 30 years. Sometimes I would be reading tech articles from the 1930s to get some ideas.

I stayed away from model specific type of articles and worked with concepts that anyone with any bike could use. The only limitation I ran into was discussing two or four stroke engines, that tended to limit the scope of the discussion.

Crikey, that was 30+ years ago... And you're right, the early years of ADB were a hoot. We specialized in being non-politically correct. You'd never get away today with some of the stuff we pulled back then.

So....two things...

1. Not worthy gif!!!!

and

2. What name did you write under?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another acronym I'm unfamiliar with, I must be getting old...

I wrote under my name Terry Shulze.
Terry a GIF is a Graphic Interchange Format,.....a tiny funny video with subtitles in practice. The interweb has a huge ever increasing library of them for every comment or situation you could possibly think of.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rogue has some real nice ol dirties...I remember ADB, read a stack of them mags. I 'think' member Terrysyd used to do a tech column in ADB. Always loved the shoot-outs between different models, that mag was worth its money good write ups, new fancy products. I remember saving my pocket money for eternity to buy some Smith roll-offs...the googles that cleaned themselves. A pair of Alpinestars was out of the question as they cost more than my bike lol. Bike mags are ghey now days compared to ADB.
ADB and Trail & Track the good old days would be hanging for the next issues to come out.
I got a ADB mag few year ago never been so disappointed in my life couldn't believe I actually paid money for it.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ADB and Trail & Track the good old days would be hanging for the next issues to come out.
I got a ADB mag few year ago never been so disappointed in my life couldn't believe I actually paid money for it.
I know right. Too much pandering to advertisers. All i ever wanted was the Technical Tips section in the back anyway.

I'm feeling pretty blessed to be honest, just 'bumped' into Terry Shulze from ADB, and met ex multi NZ Enduro champ Dene Humphrey on a fishing trip a few years ago. He wrote for Kiwi Rider for many years also. We are still in touch, and he in fact organised the TE250 for me through his contacts. Top blokes are everywhere.

Last edited: