What oil is best? and what ratio?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Ultra is a good oil at it's job from what I've read it's just the smell to me it smells like burning plastic and anchovies mixed together.
There was a guy chainsaw milling with it here running it at 50:1 in a 880 with no problems as such. We all know it doesn't take much to score the exhaust side of the piston running 50:1 in a 880 if you actually work them hard.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go on YouTube and look for Hotsaws 101. He does a long video on oils. His saws seem to run strong so maybe his oil opinions are rock solid too.
Good videos
They better run strong
About 7-900.00 for a port job
Not knocking him just saying.

The red armor per gallon is down to 70.00 shipped on amazon
I get 6 quarts almost 7 with schaeffers 7000
Shipped for less
I'll stick with 7000.
The ra 6 pk is 24.95 local now was 10.95 a couple year's ago.
Klotz i can get for 9.95 a quart local
Haven't tried it yet but if needed it's available.
I have 32+ 2.5 bottles
tanaka perfect *s-words
It smells identical to husky xp to me who knows.
I'll gift it to customers.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I haven't opened the oil to confirm colour, and may not if i'm going to return it, but it looks purpley red through the level window.

This is what i purchased, but no msds link. A google msds search shows it as a bluey/purple. So is the legendary 2R even available anymore?? It appears not, bugger.

https://shop.yamaha-motor.com.au/ac...ube/motorcycle/mc-engine-oils/ymd-65081-01-01

Adam.
I will guess like many second party products they're often produced by different manufacturers based on geographic region, my guess is the oil you have is made by a different manufacturer. But I have zero conclusive evidence of that. The old label said semi-synthetic right on the bottle, the current label does not say it's semi-synthetic or full. If it was a full synthetic it would say so, as that's just good marketing. It's still an awesome product either way and doesn't really matter if it works well, which it does. I'm sure the oil you have is top notch, I see no reason not to use it.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My concern is Mr Randy that my saws do more waiting then working, so an ester based oil 'might' be more prone to corrosion issues yeah? Maybe i just go back to Husky XP, if it is still available here, last visit to the dealer only showed LS+.
Generally the manufacturer type oils have a standard and have done testing to make sure this isn't a problem, it's usually the small blinders that have issues, and they're different types of Esters.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use RA, a little Klotz Benol, and a little Motul 800. I know use that fuel treatment I posted above, and I use STABIL when I buy my fuel.

Right now I tried VP oil at 50:1 to start, then added my Klotz and Motul to get to 36:1. I'm not really feelin this VP oil...
You really should try each oil by itself, or you’ll never get a true indication of what it actually does for you or your equipment.

Right now, for me, it’s either Schaffers 7000 or Yamamma 2R. I’ll give Dominator a try, but K2 is just way more $$ than my top 2, and I’m not sure if K2 offers anything more than the 7000 or the 2R

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run Motul 800 in my bike's and in my saw's occasionally (088's) I don't recall anything bad to report in either but then I do run it at 32:1 It does smell nice for oil. But such a good oil is just not needed in my saw's they are all basically stock.

Last edited:

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run Motul 800 in my bike's and in my saw's occasionally (088's) I don't recall anything bad to report in either but then I do run it at 32:1 It does smell nice for oil. But such a good oil is just not needed in my saw's they are all basically stock.

What size dirt squirt @rogue60 ?

I swear I read in adb mag once that the tech expert The Engine Professor or some handle wouldn't use 800 in 125s or smaller, but I failed to google it and my adb collection is spread over a dozen smoko sheds at work so I may never confirm.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I swear I read in adb mag once that the tech expert The Engine Professor or some handle wouldn't use 800 in 125s or smaller, but I failed to google it and my adb collection is spread over a dozen smoko sheds at work so I may never confirm.
Dirt bike's Chainsaws Guns and ADB yep that about sums up my childhood lol I've allways had bikes in my life.
I've run it in a few 80cc 200cc 250cc but not in a 125cc not owned a 125 in a long time last 125 I had was when I was bout 20.
My next build will be a 125 when I finish of my RM250 parts are drying up for the old 2Ts and getting costly..
This is my 1990 I restored not stacked it yet lol
20180914_141555-1-1.jpg

Not much left to do to my 2002 RM250 was a mess when I got it ground up rebuild finding a nice stock pipe only took about 2 years...
20191116_181946.jpg

I'm an old fart now days I take it easy on bikes you actually feel pain the older ya get lol

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

800 will make a mess in OPE unless you run the engine really really hard. The test results are interesting! there's a lot going on that non of us fully understand, especially at these ratios. For what ever reason at that ratio 800 seemed to polymerize and stick to the hot surfaces, I've seen this in equipment ran long and hard. Could be some of these ester oils act similar to castor based oils? maybe the higher than normal "for 2T oil" zinc content? I too find in most equipment 800 seemed to make them sluggish, and the smell gets to you, still have a gallon of the stuff sitting on the shelf.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
800 will make a mess in OPE unless you run the engine really really hard. The test results are interesting! there's a lot going on that non of us fully understand, especially at these ratios. For what ever reason at that ratio 800 seemed to polymerize and stick to the hot surfaces, I've seen this in equipment ran long and hard. I known at normal ratios unless you run the engine really hard oil will be coming out the exhaust with 800. Could be some of these ester oils act similar to castor based oils? maybe the higher than normal "for 2T oil" zinc content? I too find in most equipment 800 seemed to make them sluggish, and the smell gets to you, still have a gallon of the stuff sitting on the shelf.
Yeah in my 088's only saw's of mine I think I've run 800 in oil sludge does comes out the exhaust but not like heaps.
But that wasn't a worry for me all the bike oils I've tried in saw's make sludge out the exhaust not that I've tried that may bike oils in saw's I just stick to my mineral oil in saw's. Oil sludge is just part of a 2T mx bike if the muffler was dry on a dirt bike running synthetic oil I'd be worried.
Actually this vid you have all seen I was running 800 in my 088 in this vid at 32:1
I remember I just finished working on it and cleaned it up I thought I'd run 800 to be all chainsaw racey like they do on the chainsaws forums running the flash bike oils lol
Not saying it's the best oil out there just saying I've not seen anything bad from running it in 121cc saw's not that I've run it in saw's that much going back to my good mineral oil probably cleans it all back out??

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rogue has some real nice ol dirties...I remember ADB, read a stack of them mags. I 'think' member Terrysyd used to do a tech column in ADB. Always loved the shoot-outs between different models, that mag was worth its money good write ups, new fancy products. I remember saving my pocket money for eternity to buy some Smith roll-offs...the googles that cleaned themselves. A pair of Alpinestars was out of the question as they cost more than my bike lol. Bike mags are ghey now days compared to ADB.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Keith Gandy
I couldn't help but notice your status. So to conduct a rust test on Dominator you switch to regular 87 pump gas instead of the 87 E free you normally run? Interesting.
Hadnt bought e free in awhile as I dont leave fuel in anything very long without cranking. As far as a rust test Im not interested in it at all. Id use this Dominator or almost any oil at 32to1 and not think much about. Dont really have time to get back into this deadend road . Yall have fun with it