What oil is best? and what ratio?

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think someone here has ran FHS 62R oil as premix. I've just started running it, finished up my first gallon of mixed fuel at 40:1. It seems to run ok, milling with it. Any input on it?

Just wondering if I need to start shopping for a new cylinder and piston. :biggrin:

I hear that :chuck: uses it in his equipment.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to see a test where Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is used, also some 10-40 weight 4-stoke oil. I expect both would smoke more than a FD oil, but how about deposits and wear of the engine? I know both will lubricate a low output engine like a chainsaw and keep it from seizing, but what is the long term effects? Anybody game to give it a go?

Come on, does somebody have a crappy saw they are willing to dedicate to the test? Just mix up some ATF at their favorite ratio, fill the tank and flog the bugger.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been wanting to do just this, been discussing it with another member. I need a semi decent China sacrificial saw, but something I'd be happy to use enough to get the data. I think a bauma-Ag 40/50/60cc is the ticket. The new returns get sold off on eBay with a starting bid of $0 & can be had a lot cheaper than buying NIB. Warehouse is in Seven Hills NSW wherever that is. I bet a test like this would be an eye opener to many. I have some Makita top handles that owe me little but there clamshells & I'd want a nice easy to remove cylinder like the Husky 372 clone.

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been wanting to do just this, been discussing it with another member. I need a semi decent China sacrificial saw

Come on, does somebody have a crappy saw they are willing to dedicate to the test? Just mix up some ATF at their favorite ratio, fill the tank and flog the bugger.

Ahh, the internet. Always asking questions it already knows the answers to.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you discussed oil with the M/Mind....he suggested you take a look at the oil thread & now your more confused with more questions than had initially :eyepop: :nut: :nusenuse:... That's all good we're all pretty nuts here, welcome to the forum. Let us know how good your saw taste is, what saw you gettin porded?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh, the internet. Always asking questions it already knows the answers to.
lol true! By semi decent I mean not a eager beaver, mini Mac. But something I could use enough to get the data without making me wish I didn't come up with this stupid idea. I don't have a good macro camera either. It would be good to test 30w, 15-40 multi viscosity, ATF, a veg oil like olive or canola, a full syntyetic 4T and the last test could be a dark brown/black well used motor oil past its service schedule.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to see a test where Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is used, also some 10-40 weight 4-stoke oil. I expect both would smoke more than a FD oil, but how about deposits and wear of the engine? I know both will lubricate a low output engine like a chainsaw and keep it from seizing, but what is the long term effects? Anybody game to give it a go?

I've run a few tanks of fuel through a 066 using used diesel oil as mix oil but nothing bad to report saw was fine.
But I've got better! I picked up the wrong tin and put degreaser in a 2T bike rode it around for a good half hr thinking something is odd with amount of smoke it was blowing lol
When I worked out what I'd done I just drained the tank and put the correct fuel mix in it I got years more out of that bike it never did blow up or anything.
Oil is over rated..lol

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
put degreaser in a 2T bike rode it around for a good half hr

Crikey, DEGREASER as a lubricant! Yeah, that's just plain weird, I wonder if the inside of the engine looked a lot cleaner. At least something like ATF has friction inhibitors in it. There's enough detergents in ATF that it was a common practice to put a quart of ATF in an engine's crankcase to try and free up sticky lifters (it often worked), but I doubt it would free up sticky rings in a two-stroke.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run a few tanks of fuel through a 066 using used diesel oil as mix oil but nothing bad to report saw was fine.
But I've got better! I picked up the wrong tin and put degreaser in a 2T bike rode it around for a good half hr thinking something is odd with amount of smoke it was blowing lol
When I worked out what I'd done I just drained the tank and put the correct fuel mix in it I got years more out of that bike it never did blow up or anything.
Oil is over rated..lol

Your degreaser accident sounds a bit like the process of sucking a bottle of Seafoam in through a vacuum line and running at high idle

Smoke galore and supposedly washing out all the bad stuff from the carb/injectors through to the exhaust

My son has done it multiple times on multiple vehicles and never seized one up or shortened the life

I am not that brave and just put a splash in my premix and a bottle in my Toyota's gas tank a few times a year