What oil is best? and what ratio?

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saber is good oil in my opinion. I know there's a lot of other fella's on here running it in commercial use and for milling, I've heard good reviews from them as well.

A few years back I sent my Dolmar PS-6400 off to Randy for his magic

After he got to the saw and tore it down he emailed me and his first question was what oil had I been running

I reluctantly answered Saber and waited for the wrath of God to descend on me

Instead I got a reply telling me how great it looked inside and that I should keep using it

That’s all I need to know

Oh, at 32:1 in all my saws, trimmers, etc

Last edited:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just dumped out all my Redline mixed fuel and now got a fresh 2 gal jug with Husqvarna XP semi syn mixed at 40:1.
Have used this XP mix and Stihl Ultra for the last 14 years in my Huskies and new Stihl MS261C.

But always kept Stihl Premium orange bottle for my Stihl 044 064 066 090 MS200.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice ride ! I just picked this up about a month ago. (sorry for the derail)

fuel ex 8

gZZKcof.jpg

Here is my thread derailleur...
IMG_3013.JPG

My Hawaii ride....

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just dumped out all my Redline mixed fuel and now got a fresh 2 gal jug with Husqvarna XP semi syn mixed at 40:1.
Have used this XP mix and Stihl Ultra for the last 14 years in my Huskies and new Stihl MS261C.

But always kept Stihl Premium orange bottle for my Stihl 044 064 066 090 MS200.
I would'nt throw it all out Willard, perhaps until its gone run it & change over to the semi-synth. Your problem will come from saws you rest for a while that the last mix run in the saw was Redline. Just make sure you run say the husky XP oil in those saws prior to putting them away for a bit. My advice on using ester synthetics would be to switch to a good mineral oil periodically to avoid issues especially prior to seasonal shut down periods.

Roost426

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As usual always scoping out for oil and noticed these new craftsman synthetic 2 cycle at Lowe's, Lowe's seem to be pushing a TON of craftsman branded stuff now.

http://www.warrendistribution.com/craftsman-oil/synthetic-2-stroke-oil

I am betting it is the same as the mag1 which is warren's consumer brand.

https://mag1.com/products/2-cycle-small-engine/2-cycle/mag-1-synthetic-universal-2-cycle/

They both say they meet JASO FB but don't have the official branding... Might try a bottle out for *s-words/giggles at some point

I am still using up my stash of Walmart clearanced VP though, do we hate or love that oil I can't remember :bash: but it doesn't have an obnoxious smell.

Last edited:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had OCD fixated using one type of oil in my older Stihls.
Started running Huskies then didn't care as I alternated HuskyXP and Stihl Ultra in them.

Never cheaped out on mix oil. Bar oil I have, but now just stick with Stihl and Husqvarna bar oil....supports my dealer and he supports me when I need parts etc quick.
we both got to make a living.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran my 029 FB on Stihl orange bottle oil for over 20 years. Pistola and jug looked brand new when I sold it a year or so back. Ran Stihl Grey for some towards the end before I knew better.
I cut a lot of wood with that saw. More than I should have been cutting. Never let me down.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are good FB rated oils and average FD rated oils & vice versa. I run FB & FC oil, FD I think has higher detergents. Stihl full synthetic 'Ultra' is FB I think while their semi synthetic HP is FD from memory. I have not changed oils in years, when you find what works I say stick with it. Some guys change oils like underwear.:shakehead:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran my 029 FB on Stihl orange bottle oil for over 20 years. Pistola and jug looked brand new when I sold it a year or so back. Ran Stihl Grey for some towards the end before I knew better.
I cut a lot of wood with that saw. More than I should have been cutting. Never let me down.
How big was the arm and was the blade sharp? :)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok in all seriousness... orange bottle stihl is better than grey bottle? I’ve only ran the grey and wasn’t overly impressed. It wasn’t terrible, I’ve just ran better.