High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What oil is best? and what ratio?

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As usual always scoping out for oil and noticed these new craftsman synthetic 2 cycle at Lowe's, Lowe's seem to be pushing a TON of craftsman branded stuff now.

http://www.warrendistribution.com/craftsman-oil/synthetic-2-stroke-oil

I am betting it is the same as the mag1 which is warren's consumer brand.

https://mag1.com/products/2-cycle-small-engine/2-cycle/mag-1-synthetic-universal-2-cycle/

They both say they meet JASO FB but don't have the official branding... Might try a bottle out for *s-words/giggles at some point

I am still using up my stash of Walmart clearanced VP though, do we hate or love that oil I can't remember :bash: but it doesn't have an obnoxious smell.
FB is pretty poor quality.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There are good FB rated oils and average FD rated oils & vice versa. I run FB & FC oil, FD I think has higher detergents. Stihl full synthetic 'Ultra' is FB I think while their semi synthetic HP is FD from memory. I have not changed oils in years, when you find what works I say stick with it. Some guys change oils like underwear.:shakehead:
There is no FB oil thats better than an FD oil..

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had OCD fixated using one type of oil in my older Stihls.
Started running Huskies then didn't care as I alternated HuskyXP and Stihl Ultra in them.

Never cheaped out on mix oil. Bar oil I have, but now just stick with Stihl and Husqvarna bar oil....supports my dealer and he supports me when I need parts etc quick.
we both got to make a living.
One thing to keep in mind is Stihl oil in Canada is made by Castrol. Its not the same stuff as we get in the united states.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Having an oil that pours @-30 is a genuine concern for some of our members like Willard. What great country, I bet life really changes throughout the seasons. I'd want a good wood fueled heater.
Good point. Which is way guys agonizing over some solvent in their oil a few years back was and is ridiculous. For instance Klotz R50 and Super Techniplate will not mix with fuel properly in temps below freezing.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind is Stihl oil in Canada is made by Castrol. Its not the same stuff as we get in the united states.
Yep....I was just waiting for someone to chime in.

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a question that’s kinda related and didn’t want to start a new thread.
I recently acquired a saw and don’t plan to run it too often and want to use the pre mix cans as we don’t have E free available. I want to run better than 50:1 ratio, so I should be good to go to just add some mix to get it too 32:1?
If I do my math 1000ml at 50:1 is 20ml oil, 32:1 is 31.25. So I’ll just add 11.25ml (or 10 to make it easy) and I’ll be good to go.
Anybody else do this?

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point. Which is way guys agonizing over some solvent in their oil a few years back was and is ridiculous. For instance Klotz R50 and Super Techniplate will not mix with fuel properly in temps below freezing.
That is simply not correct, at least with R50 it mixes just fine in colder weather, I used R50 for about 5 years in all different tempatures. The oil does get thick in the bottle however, but no issues with it mixing. The straight castor oil Klotz makes will separate in colder temps.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both Orange cap Premium and black cap Ultra both Castrol product here at Stihl Canada.;)
View attachment 148624
Orange bottle here is garbage, Ultra is not great, but not as bad as some here make it out to be. I've been in br600's with over a 1,000 of commercial use and the internals were absolutely fine, and carbon buildup wasn't the best, but still useable.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is simply not correct, at least with R50 it mixes just fine in colder weather, I used R50 for about 5 years in all different tempatures. The oil does get thick in the bottle however, but no issues with it mixing. Tge straight castor oil Klotz makes will separate in colder temps.
Ive seen it with my own eyes. To be clear I am not talking about dropping out of suspension when mixed, but rather not mixing fully at all. I found that I had to keep the oil at room temp in order for it to mix properly.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Orange bottle here is garbage, Ultra is not great, but not as bad as some here make it out to be. I've been in br600's with over a 1,000 of commercial use and the internals were absolutely fine, and carbon buildup wasn't the best, but still useable.
Ultra probably works ok in a 4mix. The stuff stinks in a two stroke. Orange bottle is garbage too.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what company makes Stihl Ultra and Premium orange cap in the U.S. ?

Flatzout

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a question that’s kinda related and didn’t want to start a new thread.
I recently acquired a saw and don’t plan to run it too often and want to use the pre mix cans as we don’t have E free available. I want to run better than 50:1 ratio, so I should be good to go to just add some mix to get it too 32:1?
If I do my math 1000ml at 50:1 is 20ml oil, 32:1 is 31.25. So I just add 11.25ml (or 10 to make it easy) and I’ll be good to go.
Anybody else do this?

for mixing calculations itunes has a app called , 2strokeOil. i believe google play has them for android as well.
you can run regular pump gas just use a oil that has stabilizer in it. 32:1 or 40:1 is good.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jack,
I don't have a bottle of Canadian Stihl Ultra to show. Threw out the empty last spring.

So no one knows who makes the American Stihl mix?
Come on bwalker, you got dual citizenship.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive always thought Husky oil was pretty decent oil.
So the question of the day... Shell Rotella T6 for a motorcycle. Hottest topic on any group/forum chat related to 2 wheels. I've tried it and have my own opinion. Whatcha think?
I cannot see an oil designed for diesel truck use having the same anti-sheer package as a dedicated moto-specific one.

Flatzout

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jack,
I don't have a bottle of Canadian Stihl Ultra to show. Threw out the empty last spring.

So no one knows who makes the American Stihl mix?
Come on bwalker, you got dual citizenship.

Omni blends stihl ultra and orange bottle in the states.

http://www.osp.cc/

Last edited: