What oil is best? and what ratio?

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keith, your 201 looks to me like it had a very rich air-fuel ratio or spent lots of time idling. Just my take on it.
I've read were several members state the opposite. They say a rich tune (with a high or low viscosity oil) and idling long periods of time will not allow the internals, like the piston/rings and exhaust port, to form deposits/carbon.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've read were several members state the opposite. They say a rich tune (with a high or low viscosity oil) and idling long periods of time will not allow the internals, like the piston/rings and exhaust port, to form deposits/carbon.
That oil was burn to the ragged edge

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Perhaps so, that was just a guess on my part. Another possibility, what about gasoline additives? Some additives leave crusty gray fouling in four strokes. Maybe these additives combine with oil to form the fouling seen here? I will say that since I started using fuel stabilizer in all my machines year round this phenomenon has been greatly diminished. The plugs in my 1955 tractor with awe-inspiring 7.5:1 compression are spark plug problem chart perfect.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perhaps so, that was just a guess on my part. Another possibility, what about gasoline additives? Some additives leave crusty gray fouling in four strokes. Maybe these additives combine with oil to form the fouling seen here? I will say that since I started using fuel stabilizer in all my machines year round this phenomenon has been greatly diminished. The plugs in my 1955 tractor with awe-inspiring 7.5:1 compression are spark plug problem chart perfect.
Certain 2T oils have better detergents and run cleaner than others. I've seen a de-carbon product/additive sold in Stihl shops. Quality of fuel, also additives, probably does make a slight difference. An automobile mechanic recently told me he only uses gas with "Top Tier" additives. He said it will be a sticker on the dispenser saying it contains this additive. He said it keeps his V-8 engines, including his Harleys, really clean compared to other brands. I recently found some at a local Valero station.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe that the Stihl Decarbonizer is meant to be added to fuel and burned. If I remember correctly it is added to the piston, swirled around a bit and then dumped out.
Just didn't want to see anyone be confused on that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a guess but the 201 may have been running an oil like say Ultra, combine a poor combusting oil with a top handle that idles for periods & its not a big surprise.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't copy ?
I'm just thinking of the dry looking carbon build up on motors. I'd want that stuff staying put until I choose to remove it. Would want something catch a port and stuff.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was a car mechanic, we had a product from BG fuel systems that you would pour into each spark plug hole. There was another that used an atomizer to spray a fine mist into the plenum while the engine was running. My experience always was that if the car had been cared for properly these would never be necessary. I could see where a really old carbureted vehicle might benefit. Perhaps something similar could be done for a two stroke.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used the stuff in cars and it seemed to help. I'm just remembering the time in high school I put some engine restore in a Honda I had. It knocked all sorts of *s-word loose and it started smoking and filled the crank case full of sludge that wasn't there before.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used the stuff in cars and it seemed to help. I'm just remembering the time in high school I put some engine restore in a Honda I had. It knocked all sorts of *s-word loose and it started smoking and filled the crank case full of sludge that wasn't there before.
I'll run them till they blow. Negative on c foam