What is yer perfession?

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I myself, am an electrician, a sparky if you will. I do enjoy my job...in the process of traveling for work now...not overly excited about that, as I have always been able to stay close to home.

I too am an Electrician by trade.
Did my apprenticeship 26 years ago in the Newcastle BHP Steelworks in Australia..... its gone now but WOW what an awesome place.
have worked in heavy industry in the Electrical field ever since.
Spent time working in open cut gold mining, underground copper mining (been 2.4km underground), electric motor overhaul, cotton ginning, power station construction, and wheat starch based food products processing.
Moved up to spend time as an Instrumentation Technician in power stations and coal mines and completed an Electrical engineering diploma in Industrial Electronics and PLC control.
Have worked for the last 9 years as a control system engineer in the coal mining industry programming all the stuff that makes the plants work when the operators click a button on a computer screen.
Automation is a great place for someone with a fault finding mind who wants to constantly learn , tinker and improve how things work. I love it.

Here is the Newcastle Steelworks. I was working in this at 16 years of age.
It looks kind of peacefull from the air but it claimed the lives of several workers per year, and that was still the same in the 90's when I was there and it shut.
Myself and another apprentice even found some poor bugger well cooked after his drill stalled in an electrical cable while drilling into concrete, and he grabbed the metal chuck to free it.
I could tell stories about my 4 years in that place for days!

5575714301_01acaa664b_o.jpg

Last edited:

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a logger some days.... mechanic other's.... Kinda wish i'd have been a gynecologist.. until i think about some of the possible client's

Good to see you here Jon

Haven't seen you on NSP lately. If I were to venture a guess I bet I know why........

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a landscaper
I cant cut grass, lines more crooked than a politicians soul
I cant do edging, mulching, digging or anything that requires physical effort
I spent the last 18 months laying off clients and setting up former foremen as independent businesses
I spend 2 hours daily answering e-mail and messages at a minimum
Somehow I am more comfortable than the years bustin' my ass and obsessing on micromanaging guys who don't need it.
Dave

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol..just to get laid off again:). This is my first time traveling. Been with the same company for 10 years. But I have had my fair share of off time, which is why I quit to travel.
I got about 7 lay offs last year. Quit twice as well. I wouldn't know how to act if I was home all the time. This has been the longest run at home in 3 years now.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I too am an Electrician by trade.
Did my apprenticeship 26 years ago in the Newcastle BHP Steelworks in Australia..... its gone now but WOW what an awesome place.
have worked in heavy industry in the Electrical field ever since.
Spent time working in open cut gold mining, underground copper mining (been 2.4km underground), electric motor overhaul, cotton ginning, power station construction, and wheat starch based food products processing.
Moved up to spend time as an Instrumentation Technician in power stations and coal mines and completed an Electrical engineering diploma in Industrial Electronics and PLC control.
Have worked for the last 9 years as a control system engineer in the coal mining industry programming all the stuff that makes the plants work when the operators click a button on a computer screen.
Automation is a great place for someone with a fault finding mind who wants to constantly learn , tinker and improve how things work. I love it.

Here is the Newcastle Steelworks. I was working in this at 16 years of age.
It looks kind of peacefull from the air but it claimed the lives of several workers per year, and that was still the same in the 90's when I was there and it shut.
Myself and another apprentice even found some poor bugger well cooked after his drill stalled in an electrical cable while drilling into concrete, and he grabbed the metal chuck to free it.
I could tell stories about my 4 years in that place for days!

View attachment 7687
Sounds like you have had quite the career. I was also teaching the local apprenticeship, until I started traveling. Have been doing that for 3 years now. Apprentices always want to learn PLC...but there is very little call for it where I live. Anything that I have to teach them on would be so outrageously outdated. I can give them the basics, teach them basic ladder diagrams, and input into a small pico controller...after doing that, they tend to lose interest..lol.

jed1124

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
25 year printing pressman. Went part time Jan 1. and I'm a month away from retiring from it. Burned out :eyebrow2: Going to lean on my wifes income till I figure out want I like to do. View attachment 7604
View attachment 7605
Is there still a lot of shops in your area. I worked as a pressman for 20 years. Made good money but hated it. There are no more printing jobs around here. Glad to be working in the trees now.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there still a lot of shops in your area. I worked as a pressman for 20 years. Made good money but hated it. There are no more printing jobs around here. Glad to be working in the trees now.

There are. We do a lot of work for some of the smaller guys that can't do larger format. I ran a 6 color Heidelberg Speedmaster for the past 6. It did 28x40".

Deeretick

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All of the above. I do everything across the spectrum. Fix leaks, read meters, lay new water main, as well as the all of the office paperwork, locates, if it involves the water system, I do it.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you have had quite the career. I was also teaching the local apprenticeship, until I started traveling. Have been doing that for 3 years now. Apprentices always want to learn PLC...but there is very little call for it where I live. Anything that I have to teach them on would be so outrageously outdated. I can give them the basics, teach them basic ladder diagrams, and input into a small pico controller...after doing that, they tend to lose interest..lol.

When I was younger I started studying engineering but lost interest.
As I earned my stripes through hard work and years of 80+ hour weeks in jobs no one else wanted, my knowledge and experience grew to a point where completing an engineering diploma was a pinch of piss.
I love working with pimple faced "engineers" who have done a couple years at uni reading books and turn up at a mine site thinking they know best.
proving them wrong is like sport..... its fun!

Stepping into entire control systems encompassing dozens of PLC's running many thousands of inputs and outputs, network equipment, radio telemetry, SCADA systems etc etc..... I shave my head so I cant pull my hair!!!

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a great escape! I love being in the woods, saw in hand ;)

If I could like this 10 times I would!

Its loud, dirty, dusty, hard work but no matter where I am, at that time, its me, the saw, and that bit of timber.
Its discipline to focus on the job at hand.
Its skill to run the saw and cut the wood
Its focusing on sharpening the chain on fuel stops.
I have total respect for those that do it for a living..... its an art that takes time to learn!