High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Upper transfer angles

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I Mark a ring with a sharpie, I have a designated set of cases for porting with dowels in the bolt holes, it's nice cause you don't have to clean up much or knock burs off to check timing, saves lots of time.

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's only one every 17 hrs....

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends. Some only a few cuts. Others need much more.
What's the longest you've run a saw before it grenaded?

I don't mean a personal saw, I mean one you've done for someone.

Have you ver seen one go to pot after more than one tank?

I figure after a few piss revs at 13K+ RPM and a tank of hard noodling anything that's gonna break is gonna break.

I've been doing 2 tanks, an overnight rest, and then a final piston and comp check.

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's the longest you've run a saw before it grenaded?

I don't mean a personal saw, I mean one you've done for someone.

Have you ver seen one go to pot after more than one tank?

I figure after a few piss revs at 13K+ RPM and a tank of hard noodling anything that's gonna break is gonna break.

I've been doing 2 tanks, an overnight rest, and then a final piston and comp check.
I've seen and heard stihl techs give brand new saws the absolute beans unloaded for far longer then I ever would, kinda like if it does implode at least it's still at the dealer, I wondered if it helped with break in too

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a reply to my previous posted picture, my two to four port conversion idea was probably my strongest 046/460 that I had done yet. My thinking was like a 7900, small port/high velocity, roof angles to control cylinder fill. I guess I deleted my other pictures of the final finish.

Right now the cylinder is on the shelf, it snagged a ring. I can't flip the piston because my exhaust is too wide. I should not of done the bridge thingies. :(

I gotta move furniture this morning, Hopefully be in the garage later this evening.

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not a porter or very knowledgeable about 2t engines but really like the thinking behind your transfers

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a 395 that I ported grenade, I had put a tank through it and it ran great,I just finished a cut and piss revved it and the big end bearing gave up and wiped the top end out, I told the guy that I'd take care of it and it cost me 500$,I'm glad it happened when I still had it but I wish it wasn't so expensive but you win some and loose some.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had very few failures.

I won't do a saw if the bottom end is questionable.

If the owner wants to spring for a rebuild, we do it for a good price, and many times we can provide good used parts to save some money.

Now I did have a rash of bad case gaskets on 044/046 saws. Andy bought one from me that gave him trouble. :(

Completely wiped out saws are rare, but it happens. Normally it's when I get to wide with the ports.

The last failure I had was because the coil gap was too tight. Made the timing to far advanced, and busted the jug base.

Hop stuff up.......you'll see stuff come unglued. Just gotta man up and make it right.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a little confused now. I thought that the coil gap between the coil and the flywheel controlled the strength of the spark and or signal strength to the coil and that the location of the coil to the flywheel in degrees around the perimeter determined the ignition timing? Can someone please clear this up for me?