TreeMonkey Red Light 066 Build

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple more videos, this saw is fast! Testing a square ground chain Dallas kindly sent me. Love it, really smooth compared to RS. I also fattened it up a little from my earlier video
3/8th RS 8 tooth 28:
Dallas' chain same setup a few minutes later:

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the TM066 over the Christmas break some cutting big Eucalyptus. Since my earlier videos I've thinned the carb shafts and popped a Maxflow on it. This is running a 36 inch bar with 3/8 Stihl RM in hard old Gum

Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
12:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the TM066 over the Christmas break some cutting big Eucalyptus. Since my earlier videos I've thinned the carb shafts and popped a Maxflow on it. This is running a 36 inch bar with 3/8 Stihl RM in hard old Gum

what is the main difference between RM and RS chain? (sorry for the question)

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what is the main difference between RM and RS chain? (sorry for the question)
As Kev says it's a semi chisel. I like it on my longer bars in the wood I cut because its more forgiving when the wood is dirty and you're more likely to hit the ground with not being able to see the tip of the bar. I hardly notice the difference in cutting speed over RS to be honest.
20210124_104731.jpg 20210124_104746.jpg

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Kev says it's a semi chisel. I like it on my longer bars in the wood I cut because its more forgiving when the wood is dirty and you're more likely to hit the ground with not being able to see the tip of the bar. I hardly notice the difference in cutting speed over RS to be honest.
View attachment 279134 View attachment 279135

Thanks for the explanation and illustration.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is wicked. That Euc is gnarly stuff.

I feel pressured to up my game on my 266xp build, and build one nice.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Now that is a chain and saw to bury you in chips.
Good stuff

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little update on this saw, I found pretty quickly that the industrial Valspar enamel I used to paint the cases and side cover wasn't as near as tough as I hoped, and also wasn't particularly fuel resistant. So yesterday I completely stripped the saw down so I could send the necessary bits over to Mike @Glock37 for some powder.

I noted an interesting wash pattern upon strip down, any professional opinions on this? @tree monkey @huskihl @Deets066 @Mastermind ? I don't have much experience in this area so I would appreciate some feedback. This saw has had a diet of 40:1 Amsoil dominator right from rebuild, and in reality, it hasn't done much work. The exhaust port and combustion chamber are both impressively clean with absolutely no carbon buildup.
20210829_155237.jpg

Bits ready for packaging for FedEx to collect:
20210830_074429.jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little update on this saw, I found pretty quickly that the industrial Valspar enamel I used to paint the cases and side cover wasn't as near as tough as I hoped, and also wasn't particularly fuel resistant. So yesterday I completely stripped the saw down so I could send the necessary bits over to Mike @Glock37 for some powder.

I noted an interesting wash pattern upon strip down, any professional opinions on this? @tree monkey @huskihl @Deets066 @Mastermind ? I don't have much experience in this area so I would appreciate some feedback. This saw has had a diet of 40:1 Amsoil dominator right from rebuild, and in reality, it hasn't done much work. The exhaust port and combustion chamber are both impressively clean with absolutely no carbon buildup.
View attachment 307110

View attachment 307111
Damn stihls. :)

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 307110

View attachment 307111

I don't worry about wash patterns.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't worry about wash patterns.
Thanks Randy for the interesting feedback. Appreciate you taking the time to have a look. I guess you could say (from the research I have done) that the PTO side is a bit lazy, but when you have a look at the video of the saw cutting with the 36 inch bar (post #204 further up this page) the saw has tons of grunt and certainly isn't 'lazy'.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Randy for the interesting feedback. Appreciate you taking the time to have a look. I guess you could say (from the research I have done) that the PTO side is a bit lazy, but when you have a look at the video of the saw cutting with the 36 inch bar (post #204 further up this page) the saw has tons of grunt and certainly isn't 'lazy'.

The wood could care less about the wash pattern.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It wouldn't care at all.

Point is, if you like the way a saw runs, just enjoy it. When you start chasing percentage points, it takes the enjoyment away.
I agree Randy

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree Randy

At one time I didn't agree with that statement. I pulled every trick out of the hat on some saws. Then that absolutely fantastic running saw hung a ring, or broke the jug base, or......

You get the idea.

Now I'm in it for solid gains that include longevity. Every logger I've built a saw for would tell you that they would rather have a saw that lasts in place of a second faster off the stump.