Woodslasher's 056/066 hybrid build

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since I couldn't find a good how-to thread on how to put an 056 Mag II piston/cylinder on an 066 chassis, I decided I might as well write up how I'm doing it. Be forewarned, this thread will move along at the same pace that the saw is, so there might be large gaps between posts. Also, the 066 I am modifying is a late-model 066, long/wide case, poly flywheel saw. For an early 066, the process may be different. Also, when I say the Xth fin, that means Xth from the base of the cylinder (in case you can't figure that out).

Now, on to the build! On the clutch side you'll need to take a little bit off the 1st fin and make the 2nd-4th fins flush with the main casting for the transfers. The 5th fin needs to be cut down until it's a little taller than flush with where the 4th fin was/is. On the flywheel side, you need to grind the first two fins flush with the main casting for the transfers and you'll need to grind the Mahle logo off. You'll also need to either bevel the edge of the flywheel or you'll need to grind a little bit more off of the transfer at the spot where the highest edge of the flywheel hits the cylinder. Another thing you'll need to do is trim off the little "ear" shaped fin that comes off of the exhaust flange on the flywheel side. You can see it in the 4th pic below.

In the following pics I am comparing a modified 056 Mag II cylinder to a non-modified 056 Mag II cylinder. Unless otherwise specified, the modified cylinder is on the right and the non-modified cylinder is on the left. The first 3 pics are of the clutch side of the cylinder, the next 2 are of the flywheel side.
IMG_8836.JPGIMG_8837.JPGIMG_8838.JPGIMG_8839.JPGIMG_8841.JPG

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now for the exhaust. I haven't gotten the build to the point where I can securely bolt the top end on, but for now the tentative plan is to use the factory 066 muffler. It may not line up right, but I'll figure that out later. For now, if you'll notice the fins above the exhaust are "stepped" (one side is taller than the other). You'll need to grind the first 3 fins down flush, and you'll need to remove ~1/16 - 1/8 from the 4th fin. Back to the clutch side of the cylinder, if you only want to grind the off the fins and you don't want to grind on the "meat" of the jug you'll need to relieve a support rib a little bit, like I've shown. I'd guesstimate I only took off 1/16 of an inch, but it may vary from saw to saw/jug to jug. Right now I need to figure out how thick/thin of a base gasket I need as there's a 2mm stroke difference between the two saws. I also need to figure out how to work around the different widths on the small end of the conn. rod. Hyway makes a popup big bore (56mm) piston, I think I may go that route and see if that will take care of both the squish and conn. rod problems.

The 2nd pic is a straightedge held against the unmodified 056 cylinder on the exhaust side, and the 3rd pic is of a straightedge held against the exhaust on the modified cylinder. FYI, the cases will be split and I'll be putting new bearings/seals and a new piston in it, right now I'm using the old piston for the mockups and I'm not worried about getting crud in the case.

IMG_8843.JPG IMG_8846.JPGIMG_8847.JPGIMG_8852.JPG IMG_8853.JPG

redlinefever

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks good ! Thanks for the build thread!!

Flying_Dutchman

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now for the exhaust. I haven't gotten the build to the point where I can securely bolt the top end on, but for now the tentative plan is to use the factory 066 muffler. It may not line up right, but I'll figure that out later. For now, if you'll notice the fins above the exhaust are "stepped" (one side is taller than the other). You'll need to grind the first 3 fins down flush, and you'll need to remove ~1/16 - 1/8 from the 4th fin. Back to the clutch side of the cylinder, if you only want to grind the off the fins and you don't want to grind on the "meat" of the jug you'll need to relieve a support rib a little bit, like I've shown. I'd guesstimate I only took off 1/16 of an inch, but it may vary from saw to saw/jug to jug. Right now I need to figure out how thick/thin of a base gasket I need as there's a 2mm stroke difference between the two saws. I also need to figure out how to work around the different widths on the small end of the conn. rod. Hyway makes a popup big bore (56mm) piston, I think I may go that route and see if that will take care of both the squish and conn. rod problems.

The 2nd pic is a straightedge held against the unmodified 056 cylinder on the exhaust side, and the 3rd pic is of a straightedge held against the exhaust on the modified cylinder. FYI, the cases will be split and I'll be putting new bearings/seals and a new piston in it, right now I'm using the old piston for the mockups and I'm not worried about getting crud in the case.

View attachment 316565 View attachment 316566View attachment 316569View attachment 316568 View attachment 316567
Brett used the 660 muffler on mine, but he cut the back out, and welded it back in at a different angle.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was one of these for sale on OPE forum not that long ago....perhaps whoever bought it could speak on how well they run.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be curious how in runs compared to a normal 066, looking forward to it.

how do the pistons compare? obviously the 056 is bigger but how do the skirt widths compare relative to bore size. also is the a difference in pin to crown height? any side by side pics?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have an 056 Mag II piston and I believe an 066 one hanging around, I'll grab a few pics tonight.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much different is the bolt spacing on the base between the 056 and 660?

Cool project. I've been wanting to try something like this, but different a platform.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much different is the bolt spacing on the base between the 056 and 660?

Cool project. I've been wanting to try something like this, but different a platform.
056 is different than Mag II, Mag II is a direct bolt on. If I'd thought of it I would've check if an 064 was the same as a 54mm 056. Dirty is 056, new is Meteor 660. @thompsoncustom pic dump inbound:
IMG_5790.jpegIMG_5791.jpegIMG_5792.jpegIMG_5793.jpegIMG_5794.jpeg

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should have specified 056 mag. Nice! That's like.having a factory big bore option. I think I'm going to be looking for a 056 mag cylinder. Thank you for the information sir!

Just keep in mind that the 056 piston uses the 13mm wrist pin, so an alternate wrist pin bearing is needed if you don't have the 056 bearing.