High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Tree Monkey MS462 - PART 2

Woody

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What we need is a test with a snellerized 462 with gutted stratos vs a treemonkey 462 with the stratos intact. If those times are about the same, then there’s no reason to be gutting the stratos and brad needs to revisit these strato saws.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
2:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some pics of the 462 carbed
Metal limiter caps wtf! Scott defeated them , we think. Gotta try it

These look like the limmiters on a 261

What we need is a test with a snellerized 462 with gutted stratos vs a treemonkey 462 with the stratos intact. If those times are about the same, then there’s no reason to be gutting the stratos and brad needs to revisit these strato saws.

My experience with gutted strados as limited as it is ..... Is they are fuel hungry pigs like the 660

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As mods progress, I think it would still be worth while to test with gutted & un-gutted intakes. Right now they’re dead even on a stock saw...but maybe one truly stands out over the other after its ported? Would be interesting to see those results.

Great work so far Scott and Julian, looking forward to the next round of chips flyin indoors.

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
11:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesitng tid bit. Scott was saying something yesterday about the gutted strato would give you less oil to bottom end. Went over my head.

Also, Scott had his camera running for the whole test. He wanted to show that he did change the boot etc. BIG video for his un ported internet connection. It was only at 13% when I left lol

Redbulls take - nothing I saw yesterday would warrant another test. But I wouldn't say it doesnt work on other saws.

Will say throughout R&D on the 661 there was a number of times scott and I thought the saw felt stronger but it was actually slower. Without the videod cut times wouldn't have known

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesitng tid bit. Scott was saying something yesterday about the gutted strato would give you less oil to bottom end. Went over my head.

Also, Scott had his camera running for the whole test. He wanted to show that he did change the boot etc. BIG video for his un ported internet connection. It was only at 13% when I left lol

Redbulls take - nothing I saw yesterday would warrant another test. But I wouldn't say it doesnt work on other saws.

Will say throughout R&D on the 661 there was a number of times scott and I thought the saw felt stronger but it was actually slower. Without the videod cut times wouldn't have known
That’s a good point about the oil, never thought about that. I was always focused on getting an extra shot of mix into the transfers with everything gutted. Whatever you guys do from here will be interesting either way. Port Scott’s internet connection already! Lol

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I certainly can't say definitively, but I've had 261s with gutted stratos in commercial use for years with no issues concerning the bottom end.

Also, you're exactly right about the timed cuts. Perception is a powerful thing. I wish I had more time/wood to test.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was always focused on getting an extra shot of mix into the transfers with everything gutted
It's not really like that though. Gasoline needs 14.6 parts of air to burn efficiently. If you added fuel to the fresh air, your screwdriver or the M tronic would just tune it out

Edit
I think o_O

krustysurfer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's not really like that though. Gasoline needs 14.6 parts of air to burn efficiently. If you added fuel to the fresh air, your screwdriver or the M tronic would just tune it out

Edit
I think o_O
are the m-tronic saws replaceable with non electronic carb ?- go back to full manual control? is it worth the bother?
its why the local stihl rep refused to sell me a new saw and warranty it- he said the only way he would give a warranty for me is if i purchased the 880 for milling- he said i would void the warranty on the 661 if i used it with a alaskan slabbing setup - said the M-tronic would make the 661 run lean and fry the motor eventually... it is why i purchased a stock new 395XP however i am now worried about nylon being used around the main bearings!(unless i am wrong and they fixed that?) WTF HUSQY!......... im buying a old yellow saw to get the job done i guess- save the beauty queen for ?????????????????????????????? yes the husqy was 700$ less on the wallet new with a 28"bar ................... wife is going to get sick of my expenditures very soon............................ aloha and thank you mad saw scientists for all the beta.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Redbull661 did they feel any different in the torque they had? If two saws get the same cut times with stock chain, but one has more torque... then that is the more powerful saw, because you can run a more aggressive chain/or gear it up with a larger sprocket and it will be faster. Or it can handle a longer bar. At least that’s my thinking. Thanks for doing this test, makes the mind think for sure.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Edit
I think o_O
Valid. Always looked at it as increasing volume/area, kinda like a boost port. BUT, that’s just a thought. I don’t think well, so I’ll stop interjecting theory into Scott’s 462 progression...lol

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I certainly can't say definitively, but I've had 261s with gutted stratos in commercial use for years with no issues concerning the bottom end.

Also, you're exactly right about the timed cuts. Perception is a powerful thing. I wish I had more time/wood to test.

I just wish you would answer my questions