High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Another save by Treemonkey (Scott)

Sarahdodgegeek

Creepy Treemonkey Groupie
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's not the first time, and I somehow doubt it will be the last....

About 2 months ago, after listening to Mr. Dodgegeek go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on about wanting a 288 husky, I decided a Treemonkey'd 288 sounded like a pretty good Christmas present. So, on the hunt I went. I found a saw that sounded good, so after much back and forth about the condition of the saw, how original it was, and what had been done to it, I decided to make the purchase. I was very up front with the seller about my intent to send it to Treemonkey for a port job. The seller shipped the saw directly to Scott for me, since it was a surprise and I did not want it coming to my house.

Scott went about his normal business of opening up the saw and taking a look, and then sent me a message that made me sick. This saw was not at all how it had been represented to me.

The crank case itself was damaged - it appeared the saw had been run without bar plates and the chain had jumped off so many times that it was no longer a usable case - it was nearly worn through, then epoxied. The piston was worn to the point of needing to be replaced, and the carb had some issues. (I've included a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure.) It would not have lasted, at least not long.
Here's the case from the saw I bought
b325ac207011159b4e935b533a230985.jpg

Scott advocated to keep pushing on with the saw, as he felt he could make it workable. Since I trust him, I agreed, notified the seller of the issues, and (to the seller's credit) I was paid back money to cover the parts. Scott then went to work to make this saw something worth keeping. He found another used case at a very reasonable price, ordered the necessary parts, split the case, used everything he could from the saw i sent, put it all back together, then got one last punch to the gut when the aftermarket rewind snapped like the cheap, Chinese piece of .... that it was. Fortunately he had a spare 181 part that would work, saving me another $100-ish to replace.

I'm sure I've dramatically oversimplified what was actually required and accomplished in this build, but if you're like me, the details might be a little over your head, too.

All in, Scott went significantly above and beyond on this build- not only to try to help me, but also the seller. I'm positive his knowledge, skill, and resourcefulness saved me a substantial amount of money - including salvaging the saw itself. He charged me very fairly for what I can only imagine was a lot of extra screwing around, and I think that's some pretty danged stand-up-guy behavior. And it ain't the first time Scott has gotten me out of a bind, pretty sure it wont be the last. (Our stihl 064 had a similar beginning to it's life, and it turned out pretty dang well... But that's a story for another time.)

I trust Scott to always represent his work honestly. I don't want to be some kind of creepy Treemonkey groupie, but I would encourage anyone considering adding a ported saw to your collection, to consider Treemonkey in your decision making process.

Here's the saw all pretty and back together..
8a23663b3a0d2a67e490a62dd8897463.jpg
6cbd0590565d28a9c9694c0dfa0ff3b2.jpg
a4cd3dc765e5cb011a617c915ae48518.jpg

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad all parties are happy! Can I ask was it a CL buy?

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
7:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hey, I had to.

After running that 064 and the other saws that you guys have that Scott built, I am really impressed with his work.

One day I'd like to own a Treemonkey saw.

I can't wait to run that 288, I am sure it will be nothing other than spectacular.