Tree Felling Technique Thread

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s really not that bad once you understand the logic. A good friend of the family is a logger. He showed me and explained why he thought it was the safest cut in the woods. Everyone has their opinion so I’m not pushing this technique on anyone. But there is most definitely a time and place for it.
I know you’re not pushing this method Deets, not taken that way at all brother.

I think I understand the concept but it’s just not a cut I would attempt through YouTube education. I don’t know anyone that cuts like that so the chance of watching someone and learning the concept in the woods is slim around here. That’s how I would want to learn.

Way more ways to skin this cat than I ever imagined. Amazing what I’ve learned now that I’m not ravaging my stand just for firewood...lol!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see those slope cuts on the mountain men and alaska shows on tv,cant believe they show that stuff ,half the time the trees go 90 degrees of the intended fall.
I’ve learned that sloped back cuts are dangerous. No strength in the stump wood if the tree sets back, will just blow the back of the stump out.

A lot of personal preference in this game. Way more than I thought there would be. I think the bottom line is use what you’re confident in with our given differing skill levels.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have any nice hard maple in your stand? That’s worth a pretty penny here if it’s a good one. We sold a lot of our ash to firewood buyer.
Yes I’ve got some very nice hard maple. Most 24” to 28” dbh. Might drop a few of those Friday. With this cold snap the ash is going to be more brittle than normal, so sugar maple it is. I had no idea they were so valuable till I got a price sheet from the mill. Just as valuable as cherry, actually more so at prime scale. I’ll post a pic of the price sheet

I’m getting good money for my ash, most of my logs scaled prime and #1 at $850 and $650 per thousand bdf. Veneer ash is $1k per thousand bdf. Might want to reconsider selling it for firewood if you have a mill that will process it. Everywhere is different though.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I’ve got some very nice hard maple. Most 24” to 28” dbh. Might drop a few of those Friday. With this cold snap the ash is going to be more brittle than normal, so sugar maple it is. I had no idea they were so valuable till I got a price sheet from the mill. Just as valuable as cherry, actually more so at prime scale. I’ll post a pic of the price sheet

I’m getting good money for my ash, most of my logs scaled prime and #1 at $850 and $650 per thousand bdf. Veneer ash is $1k per thousand bdf. Might want to reconsider selling it for firewood if you have a mill that will process it. Everywhere is different though.
Holy S-WORD! I should move out there and cut wood! I'm currently cutting Ash as well and get a fraction of that price.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still gotta come across a veneer quality tree
Sure does. Haven’t found one yet, heartwood took all my ash out of veneer scale. I have hopes for some of my big ones that are in well drained soil. Fingers crossed. But even at prime, they’ll bring good money.

Every sugar maple I’ve cut so far has had less than 20% heart. They were smaller trees, about 20” dbh.

Dropped this sugar maple for firewood last year because the stump had a scar, thought it would have a rotten heart. Nope, and I blocked up what was likely a $500 tree...had no idea.

E1704840-F08C-4643-9C0D-DC977A9BABDE.png D13E912E-7F5A-4995-9ED4-58A26344254C.png

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the 20 on the truckers straps:risas3:.
Nice work buddy. I need to sell my little bota and get me one of those big mini skids, very nice.

They are there to help keep things together that are wanting to come apart too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crane. You would be amazed at how fast you can pick a tree apart if you have the correct operator and the room to work.

I Agree when possible.

Find the Orange: that’s me.
2e95bc2f34e191114283237f16a6fa14.jpg

This lightning job was in a back yard with Zero access for a crane unless it was a 250.

We tied into an adjacent tree & went to work.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mill said it will likely go up a little in the summer as China increases its import demand.

Everything around here is by the cord. I believe 1 cord = about 1500 be ft. Anyway top paying mill is at $200 cord for ash.

Man I’d have you guys crying if you saw what we do with the ash and most of the hardwoods out here, they make great row material to run the CTL equipment on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are there to help keep things together that are wanting to come apart too soon.

I get what they are and what your using them for, just you folks talks funny down dem parts is all, no-one here calls them truckers straps, just ratchet straps is all.