HELP! Technique for dropping leaning trees

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have a couple of dead leaning fir trees on my property that I have been looking at for a few years now trying to come up with a game plan on how to safely drop them, they are split from about 2 feet off the ground to approx 20 feet high. they are about the same size as the one in the video, is a stair step hinge/backcut a common technique or is it just this guys way of doing thing?

Im far from a pro, Im just a firewood collector and Im tired of these leaning trees blocking me from getting other trees downed.

I tried to add a few pics of the actual trees but my phone and service is really terrible.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
single stem, the wood fiber has a verticle split that goes up about 1/3 of the total height of the tree, i have never had a tree barber chair on me, but I am almost certain these will if tried to drop with a traditional face and backcut

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
single stem, the wood fiber has a verticle split that goes up about 1/3 of the total height of the tree, i have never had a tree barber chair on me, but I am almost certain these will if tried to drop with a traditional face and backcut
There’s a lot of loaded/stored energy there. Do not attempt a standard face and back back cut. You’re right in that they will barber very easily. Without seeing any pictures of the actual trees, I can’t safely suggest anything, and even with pictures it might not be safe to suggest anything.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i will do my best to get a few pics uploaded, my cell service is weak at home but when I go to town I get full service.

im thinkin about dropping another tree on top of them, in hopes the force can knock them over, I have never done that before so I am hesitant to try it

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you put a Heavy ratchet strap around the the trunk about 6-12 inches above the face cut area you can take some of the barber chair risk out of the equation but if there is fiber failure inside the split there could be more that you cannot see.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t use stairstep back cuts generally. A lot of people here do but I can’t see where it’s more advantageous than a bore cut. I prefer a bore cut with a trigger piece for safety in certain circumstances.

I cut a lot of dead standing firs, but not all firs are made the same, so I can’t say for sure about yours. Ours tend to be shorter and have more girth down low on the trunk.

Always with dead standing trees, pay close attention to what’s above you and have a good escape route. When and if you decide to cut them yourself, get the helk out of dodge and stay there until all the debris are done falling.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, need pictures. Depends on a lot of stuff…how hard is the lean, where the split is…

I’m no pro, just an enthusiastic felling student. I have some ideas…

Lots of pros here, similar tree, long read but worth it. Pics in it.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sorry no pics, havent made it to the big city yet.

I looked at the tree some more today and the trees are split vertically pretty darn good to where a stair step back cut probably wont work. I could myself possibly using that method on a tree that doesnt have a big split way up it.

I have a good friend thats a logger and he is going to come take a look at them tomorrow sometime.

he mentioned a shallow facecut if possible than dropping a bigger tree on top of it to knock it over I guess hes had to do that quite often with dangerous trees.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@redneckhillbilly are the splits parallel to the lean/lay or 90° to it? Are they in the center, or the front or rear?

When plunging it is a lot easier to use a bar that reaches through the tree. Hard to line up your cuts with a stubby.

One the face cut, if you cut the top angled cut down at a very shallow angle, close to vertical, it is a lot easier to cut the saw out if it gets pinched.

@Catbuster @afleetcommand

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A picture is worth a thousand words. Also, standard practice of escape routes, good work area, etc to be followed. I’ll also note that I recommend falling with a bar that’s at least the diameter of the tree, and I also recommend scribing the line around the tree if you’re under barred for the situation, it makes lining cuts up easier.

In generalities…

I usually don’t treat them like a big deal if the tree is straight and the splits are at a right angle to the lay. I pay extra attention to keeping my head up and watching for movement up in the crown, because weird things happen and stuff breaks out. Otherwise, the split stems should fall like two stems you’d normally fall together in the same direction.

If the tree is split at a low level, and all the way up, I think it’s best to completely bifurcate the stem by ripping it down the middle and falling them in opposite directions as separate stems. They get treated the same way as trees with included bark, it’s just more obvious to see.

If the tree is partially split, or something else, I’ll always add you can walk away and hire it done, via saw, heavy equipment or explosives.

I really just can’t add much more without seeing it in person or from multiple different angles.

Last edited:

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do appreciate all the knowledge guys, a pretty decent wind came through today so my friend canceled on me, I am going to town tomorrow and I will upload pics as soon as I get full phone service.

I've been cutting dead trees for firewood for 25+ years approx 20 cord a year for me and some of my family, but, these leaners have been leaning for a few years now and I've been nervous to cut them so i just worked around them, now I need them out of my way to get at some nice fir and larch that is behind them, so they gotta go.

I'm a stickler for safety and the more I look at them and read up on here and elsewhere I highly doubt I will be the person who takes a saw to them, I am fully aware they are above my skillset.

I do like to learn new things though so I will definatley be observing and assisting anyway possible.

I will upload pics tomorrow and the pros will probably call me a scardy cat, but I'm okay with that.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do appreciate all the knowledge guys, a pretty decent wind came through today so my friend canceled on me, I am going to town tomorrow and I will upload pics as soon as I get full phone service.

I've been cutting dead trees for firewood for 25+ years approx 20 cord a year for me and some of my family, but, these leaners have been leaning for a few years now and I've been nervous to cut them so i just worked around them, now I need them out of my way to get at some nice fir and larch that is behind them, so they gotta go.

I'm a stickler for safety and the more I look at them and read up on here and elsewhere I highly doubt I will be the person who takes a saw to them, I am fully aware they are above my skillset.

I do like to learn new things though so I will definatley be observing and assisting anyway possible.

I will upload pics tomorrow and the pros will probably call me a scardy cat, but I'm okay with that.
You’re going about this the right way, and there’s no shame in that. I’m a logger, and there’s trees that I walk away from.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm terribly sorry guys I still havent made it to town, I'm waiting on a few packages to make it to the post office before I make the 75 mile round trip journey.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'd rather you be an alive scaredy cat, than a brave but dead cat.