Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That stinks.
I had a hard leaner I notched, then bored from the bad side as there was a small tree they wanted saved on the good side, dang thing had stress cracks in it and she sat down on my 24" stihl light. Pulled the powerhead and grabbed another bar from the truck and made a step cut below the first from the bad sideband watched the back half of the stump rip out of the ground and the tree roll onto my bar :eek:. Got everything limbed out and bucked up and pulled the round with my bar in it out of the ground and it was perfectly straight, and just when I thought the only luck I had was bad luck lol.

Any thoughts/advice from the more experienced on this one. I kept went to the most solid wood I could on it for the notch, and as soon as I saw rotten chips I stopped. I seem to get nasty rotten ones or they are up against a house/garage/fence or sometimes both nasty and up against something or over something.View attachment 167837 View attachment 167838
Bars are expendible, if necessary for safe felling, just my opinion.
I can show someone a bent bar, and tell them its better than a bent house.
They pay for that bar in a second !!

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Won’t even attempt that...ever. That’s a level of felling wizardry that I’ll never reach. I’ll give away $100 of the butt log, don’t care... lol!
It’s really not that bad once you understand the logic. A good friend of the family is a logger. He showed me and explained why he thought it was the safest cut in the woods. Everyone has their opinion so I’m not pushing this technique on anyone. But there is most definitely a time and place for it.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice walnut deets
AEE6DC43-0BB3-4958-8102-17088BC70C65.jpeg FCD0E512-06D7-4C64-839F-626EA54C548E.jpeg
It was, and for the record I didn’t cut this one. Walnut veneer buyer did, first he brought a couple guys over and topped it. Then he brought 3 trucks for this one log. One for the skidder, one was a grapple truck, and one to put the log on.
Handed me a decent check too. Gotta be big money in the end product of walnut veneer

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s really not that bad once you understand the logic. A good friend of the family is a logger. He showed me and explained why he thought it was the safest cut in the woods. Everyone has their opinion so I’m not pushing this technique on anyone. But there is most definitely a time and place for it.

That wouldn’t fly out here especially on company or state ground you’d be looking for work plus paying tickets for that kind of cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That wouldn’t fly out here especially on company or state ground you’d be looking for work plus paying tickets for that kind of cutting.

That’s true, but this is used on veneer grade logs, mostly always private ground. Completely different than out there.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You should see the stumps in the property next to my house. Guy has to have it logged every 10 years because of the state program he is in. So his buddy logged it, terrible lookin stumps

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every cut is sloped one way or another. Guys just cut firewood mostly. They’ve never logged anything before
Getrdun.
This one is across the street at my neighbors, nice sized black locust, I plan on cutting it flush and getting a weeks worth of firewood out of it.Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.06.13 PM.pngStep cut, done with the 576, rakers were way high and I had a hard time getting it to bite especially with the small spikes. 32DBH, had to cut high because of the fence in it, winched over since it was leaning towards the power line.
Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.06.39 PM.png

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s true, but this is used on veneer grade logs, mostly always private ground. Completely different than out there.

Even on private at any point a state forester can visit you and shut you down for unsafe or violations to the forest practices act.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even on private at any point a state forester can visit you and shut you down for unsafe or violations to the forest practices act.

It’s different here on the east. I’ve never logged on the west coast and I’m sure you’ve never logged on the east. Just different timber and different methods. I’m sure some things apply and some don’t.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does the state require any license to cut wood in any of your states???

I'm looking to start an LLC to cut trees down, I don't think there are any license required in ohio???

Need insurance and thatst it I believe. Private property work for me