Tips and tricks for uniform rakers

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I'm thinking you don't want the depth gauge to be sharp or close to sharp. Flat file can make em have an edge that's will be catchy. I need to get in the habit of rounding back over so they are more like they are when new.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You making Randy's Gtg. I've got a mean round ground chain I wanna run against a square. But keep it hush hush. Gonna try to make some side bets.
I would like to make it, but it is too far off to make any plans. I have never raced a saw in my life so If I was you..... I'd find another trigger man. lol

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So are you guys getting a lot of "chatter" when you just file the rakes flat, aka--parallel to the bar????

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rakes actually rock the cutter lifting the rear of it up under load ,this is why a ramped shape is important .If can see a chain in motion the raker hits ,and the rear of the cutter lifts some when making a cut .

Fullkip

Timber Faller/Saw Porter/Hunting Guide
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you do a lot of bore cuts like I do you learn to keep your rakers angled. Vertical bore cuts will test how well your chain is tuned, I use them when cutting jack seats.. Also keep your gullets clean as your teeth get shorter. I also will thin rakers at the top from the side to reduce drag. Seems to help when when running 60cc and below saws with 3/8ths. If you run them at .030 or shorter be extra careful from kick back. Dangerous and hard on the main bearings and sprocket tip.

Fullskip

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible to manipulate an FG2 filing guide to do the rakers, or would that just prove pointless?
Back when I used my FG2 a lot more I used a triangular Pferd file to do rakers. It worked fine for me.
Now I just use an Oregon grinder I bought just to do rakers.

blackjack99574

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was fortunate enough to get a silvey hd-6 racer grinder from Madsens before they sold out. I missed many opportunities to buy a silvey square grinder. If I knew they were going to sell out I would have grabbed one years ago. The rake grinder is a pleasure to use. I'll use a 25 or 35 thousands guide in the first one then set the rest with the grinder. Puts an angle on email to prevent clatter and makes it easy to keep up with rakers. I've bought hundreds of feet of chain over the years and have several milk crates filled with chains now from 16" to 36" inch.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using the cheap oregon depth gauge...Does ok on normal wear. Used the 46cc ryobi to demo an old porch/deck a few weeks back and hit a couple nails. After filing the chew up teeth back to shape, filed the rakers down with the guide. Worked ok, but not very consistant. It appears to average between two teeth. Went back filed the rakers again 4 more strokes each...Working decent now...cant complain...chain was pretty trashed from the nails.

Someday might have to get a quality setup....
What do you guys think is the best setup for handfiling teeth and rakers?

Last edited: