Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy crap Mark, You done did great on that load. Many congrats.
I see a lot of gems in there. And nice roller nose bar.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
48" roller nose, needs a few repairs to the rails, I'll get together with Scarr52 one of these days to get another bar back and leave this one with him.

There were some real frankencollections in there too...

Mark

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Seems I have been AWOL on OPE, I will try to stop by more often and keep up to day.

I picked up a big load of McCulloch saws when I went west for the PNW GTG in June.

Included in that trip were a near new PM610 in the box, a NIB Mini Mac from madhatte, and a 1-60 from 3000FPS on my way home through Wyoming.

Included in there was a Super 10-10 (not the 10-10S variety). Someone had been in this saw before and not all of the parts were original but it cleaned up nicely and fills one more spot in my quest to have examples of all real McCulloch saws.

Mark
This belongs in the You Suck thread. ;) Just kidding man, great score! Super jealous here!

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May have already been brought up someplace else but anyone wonder why nobody tried the balanced piston design again. I know the mechanical governed on the mac's could fail causing the saw to explode into a pile of parts so they were recalled but now with electronic limiters ect figured they might try again. I thought it was a good design and ahead of its time they even made prototype snowmobile engines on the same design. Kinda wonder what would of happened if black and decker would have never bought mac and cheapened them up and started selling them at Kmart ect.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The BP-399T is fun to listen to in any case, and the HD carburetor looks huge.

DSC01596.JPG

According to some clever Engineer on an unrelated web site, the emissions from the balanced piston engine design were pretty overwhelming, even in the 1970's.

DSC01594 (2).JPG

Mark

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I see why. Never got to read a lot about it. Just heard a few were made and shipped to some snowmobile manufactures to try. And next time I guess I need to read the whole thread

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would that HD carb be the same one they used on Harley Sportsters?
I don't know if Harley used them but lots of snowmobiles in the 60's and 70's did along with some of the smaller version the tillitson hr.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 1971 iron engine 900- sportster did have an HD Tillotson .I don't know much more about except it had an accelerator pump .I would assume it would be a larger bore than on that snowmobile engine .
Also assuming like most Tillotson models different sizes were made within the praticular group .Someplace have a size chart and application chart on most Tilleys .Exactly where that might be remains a mystery .

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are mac 250's? Worth buying? Guy has one for sale complete and running but looks rough. What are
They worth?
Regular 250's (80cc) aren't worth much around here. Maybe $20 - $50 running and the sit for a long while at $50. Super 250's bring $75 - $150. The supers are a factory 87cc hotrod and worth having.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you I'll need to go look at it. Don't have any macs mostly Stihl and a couple c-5 homelites and one 330 that was free. Looks like a standard in photo and rougher shape he's asking 150 now I see why it hasn't sold

Last edited:

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Paid $200 for my Super and would do it again in a heartbeat. 'Course the bar and chain are worth close to that alone. Had it three years before I even tried to start it. Nice clean fuel tank and good rubber everywhere. Fired right up after I grew enough hair to pull it over a few times. Ridiculous compression. Have another complete Super in a box I got for the cost of shipping. Hope to restore it this winter.

This one obviously occupies a rather prominent position above my bench and typically gets the attention ( and respect! ) it so rightfully deserves from most folks who happen by. They mostly marvel at the blade. LOL

Runs great.

0907171226_resized.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 5.3 cubic inch,87 cc engine is my favorite of all the big McCulloch reed valve engines .That one they got right .
There is a trick however on the 80 cc units like a 250 .If you can find a .050 groove bar and run 3/8" chisel with an 8 tooth it will cut a lot faster than with .404 .Surprising with that set up it takes 72 drivers on a NOS 18" Mac bar .I chanced upon one still in the cardboard wrapper . NOS Oregon probably 50 years old .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bigger trick is finding the right rim drive/bearing setup to run 3/8's if converting from a .404 spur. (depending on crank diameter.)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine already a rim drive set up .I found a couple more on flea bay,brand new .Believe it or not the fellows name in Hagerstown Maryland was John Twigg ,same as my maternal grand father .Turns out the guy was some distant relative .If I can find them I'll post the Oregon number .They appear every now and again on flea bay .