heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don't need the puller set for the 10 Series saws since both ends of the wrist pin are accessible, you simply find a suitable driver (I used a 1/4" drive deep socket) and press the wrist pin out. The Duke's set up is intended for those with a blind end where you have to extract the wrist pin with a puller as they cannot be driven through. In fact, most of the 10 Series saws have one closed in on the wrist pin so you cannot insert the puller through them anyway.

Mark

hacskaroly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don't need the puller set for the 10 Series saws since both ends of the wrist pin are accessible, you simply find a suitable driver (I used a 1/4" drive deep socket) and press the wrist pin out.
Good to know, this will save me some money to put to other parts!!!

Gvsu141

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just scored this pretty clean PM650 for $60 on the way down to Ohio for work. I have a friend that's been wanting one for a few years, so I had to grab it just to rub it in his face :)

I'm sure it will need a carb kit and the usual...

Update: OEM Carb kit and new fuel line, saw is running great! 170psi compression, everything works including the chain brake. Choke lever is a PITA but not bad for $72 total invested. A very clean saw - the nicest one I've seen.

Now here is an interesting one - never seen this before:

I noticed something funny about the air intake cover. The yellow paint threw me off...

Turns out there was a rock jammed in one side painted yellow. It was jammed in there pretty good. The weird thing is that the cover looks like it has never been repainted, and the cleanliness of the overall saw agrees. (Though it is possible someone did a very good paint job). The rock is also very smooth to the touch like it has been polished. Would it have been possible for McCulloch to use rocks as a tumbling media from the factory after the casting process? How does this cover's paint compare to others?

PXL_20240923_025317073.jpgPXL_20240923_025456711.MP.jpgPXL_20240923_025813278.MP.jpgPXL_20240923_025822154.MP.jpgPXL_20240923_025846137.jpg

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update: OEM Carb kit and new fuel line, saw is running great! 170psi compression, everything works including the chain brake. Choke lever is a PITA but not bad for $72 total invested. A very clean saw - the nicest one I've seen.

I noticed something funny about the air intake cover. The yellow paint threw me off...

Turns out there was a rock jammed in one side painted yellow. It was jammed in there pretty good. The weird thing is that the cover looks like it has never been repainted, and the cleanliness of the overall saw agrees. (Though it is possible someone did a very good paint job). The rock is also very smooth to the touch like it has been polished. Would it have been possible for McCulloch to use rocks as a tumbling media from the factory after the casting process? How does this cover's paint compare to others?

View attachment 434599View attachment 434600View attachment 434601View attachment 434602View attachment 434603
Not sure about casting prosses that mcculloch used, but I doubt it would leave the factory with a rock visable in the air filter cover. The cover's color looks different then the rest of the saw in your previous pics.

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 434599View attachment 434600View attachment 434601View attachment 434602View attachment 434603
I would say looking at the pics that the saw (aside from the air filter cover) has never been re-painted.

hacskaroly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I wonder if someone at the factory jammed it in there just as a joke and it has been left in there all this time :D

MNMacGuy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed something funny about the air intake cover.
I can't provide any insight why a rock was jammed in the air intake opening but the air filter cover is off a PM655 I believe. I think all the PM610/650 saw versions had plastic air filter covers, not metal. @heimannm, am I correct?

Gvsu141

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't provide any insight why a rock was jammed in the air intake opening but the air filter cover is off a PM655 I believe. I think all the PM610/650 saw versions had plastic air filter covers, not metal. @heimannm, am I correct?

Interesting. I've never heard of a 655 before this. What is different between a 650 and 655? I can't seem to find much info on the differences. Looks like it has decomp similar to the 650, so I'm assuming it has the hotter porting as well? Any other differences that you know of?

I'm pretty familiar with the differences between 605/610/650, but not the 655...

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got to work on the SP81 this afternoon.
PM700 carb swap was a success!
Tuned right in. Plenty of fuel in the cut.
Started with both needles at 1.5 turns.
Came in with th hi a decent amount. Maybe 1/2-3/4 turns.
Low needed richening just a tad to keep idle and trottle response right.
Only thing i will have to redo is shortening the hi needle shank so its shorter than the lo one. Hard to get at right now, but i made it work.
You can stick a small screwdriver in at 90° to the needles and turn them. I made a cross shaped slot in the ends. Make sense?

Anyway, i am very happy with how this saw turned out! Pulls like a mule, and plenty fast.
Anyone know what rpms its rated at?20240924_170624.jpg20240924_170657.jpg

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got to work on the SP81 this afternoon.
PM700 carb swap was a success!
Tuned right in. Plenty of fuel in the cut.
Started with both needles at 1.5 turns.
Came in with th hi a decent amount. Maybe 1/2-3/4 turns.
Low needed richening just a tad to keep idle and trottle response right.
Only thing i will have to redo is shortening the hi needle shank so its shorter than the lo one. Hard to get at right now, but i made it work.
You can stick a small screwdriver in at 90° to the needles and turn them. I made a cross shaped slot in the ends. Make sense?

Anyway, i am very happy with how this saw turned out! Pulls like a mule, and plenty fast.
Anyone know what rpms its rated at?View attachment 434754View attachment 434755
That saw looks great! Great job!

MNMacGuy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is different between a 650 and 655?
The 655 appears to be a rare find. I've only seen one, on eBay, in like new condition (Mark most likely has one too). The only unique features I know of is the metal air filter cover, a short version of the plastic wrap around brake flag, and some black finish hardware. My guess is it is mostly a product of the McCulloch marketing machine to sell more chainsaws with minimal differences to the 650.

If the 655 piqued your interest, you may like the Super 610 and the mythical 645. As far as I know nobody has seen a 645 but documentation says it exists. I know very little about either.

hacskaroly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a few pics early!
That's awesome!! Is it running or do you get to mess with it first? I was going to say that looks like my D44...but bigger. Kind of like a Husky 272 looks like a 2100, but the 2100 is bigger! Very cool, congrats on the find!

Here is an earlier thread that shows a pic of a 797 with a 48" bar and what it can do to an oak!

Jusgunn3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's awesome!! Is it running or do you get to mess with it first? I was going to say that looks like my D44...but bigger. Kind of like a Husky 272 looks like a 2100, but the 2100 is bigger! Very cool, congrats on the find!

Here is an earlier thread that shows a pic of a 797 with a 48" bar and what it can do to an oak!
I am not sure if it runs yet, I am going to check it out tomorrow. I think it’s been sitting a long time, I assume it’s going to need some tlc.