MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Jusgunn3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a MAC/Walbro "flatback" with a primer.

There are some threads with more information buried out there somewhere.

Mark
Got it, thanks! Rebuild and keep or replace with another model ? From what I am reading it looks like the are finicky and folks swap out to the HL63 or similar model carb.

Last edited:

Jusgunn3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer the MAC over the Tillotson. They may require a little learning to get them working properly and the kits are more expensive but I believe the performance is better.

Mark
Sounds good to me, I am willing to try to work with what I have. I will get the flywheel off and clean/adjust the points and try to start it up again. I need to fix the recoil as well.

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those walbro flat backs are tough carbs. There are finicky as all get out. I badeled on the one on my 440 for hours and eventialy changed to a tillitson hl. The carb runs perfect. Mccullkoch put a little cup behind the carb to catch all the fuel that those carbs puck out. None of this with tillitsons.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a link to the McCulloch Carburetor thread over on AS, I can't seem to find one here.

The Tillotsons are also guilty of "spitback", it is more a by-product of the short intake track and the speed at which the reeds close. This is information that Eccentric posted quite some while ago.

-Reed engine 'spit back' is caused by a 'leaking' reed that doesn't sit tightly closed at rest. Not true. 'Spit back' is the reversion that happens during the time period before the reeds slap closed after having swung open. Reeds don't open/close instantly (no matter how 'tight' they are at rest). Their opening/closing can be graphed with crank rotation (as can the intake port on a piston-port or disc valve engine). Reed engines that 'spit back' more usually have very short intake tracts (because they're most often in a horizontal cylinder layout that lends itself to a short intake track). The resulting shorter intake charge has less inertia to resist reversion (and therefore have minimal 'spitback').

Mark

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a link to the McCulloch Carburetor thread over on AS, I can't seem to find one here.

The Tillotsons are also guilty of "spitback", it is more a by-product of the short intake track and the speed at which the reeds close. This is information that Eccentric posted quite some while ago.

-Reed engine 'spit back' is caused by a 'leaking' reed that doesn't sit tightly closed at rest. Not true. 'Spit back' is the reversion that happens during the time period before the reeds slap closed after having swung open. Reeds don't open/close instantly (no matter how 'tight' they are at rest). Their opening/closing can be graphed with crank rotation (as can the intake port on a piston-port or disc valve engine). Reed engines that 'spit back' more usually have very short intake tracts (because they're most often in a horizontal cylinder layout that lends itself to a short intake track). The resulting shorter intake charge has less inertia to resist reversion (and therefore have minimal 'spitback').

Mark
Interesting, I have never had spit back with a tillitson.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mark

Have you heard from Aaron lately Mark? I miss him on the forums.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone sent me these photos, if anyone out there has any idea about the story behind this saw I would love to hear it.

View attachment 436490

View attachment 436491

View attachment 436492

View attachment 436493

View attachment 436494

Mark

I know McCulloch made some special units for the one-three-five and ten millionth saws to roll off the production line. Some of the special units were boxed up and sent to random dealers when they placed orders at the time. I've heard many variations of the story. I know the one dealership I worked at received a gold-plated 10-10 saw in (I believe) 1973. I can't remember what the designation on that unit was for. It ended up at the company owner's house in his private shop and I believe it's still there even though he passed away in 2018.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some photos of a silver plated CP-70 and the newspaper clipping to go with it, 3,000,000th saw sent out to a random dealer.

IMG_6014.jpg

I spoken with the owner (by phone) and we are trying to work something out.

Mark

Attachments

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some photos of a silver plated CP-70 and the newspaper clipping to go with it, 3,000,000th saw sent out to a random dealer.

View attachment 436561

I spoken with the owner (by phone) and we are trying to work something out.

Mark
Those things are neat! Can't be many out there.

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a nos 795 short block on ebay today. I have most of the parts to buld a 795. there is a few things that I will need: The shroud that goes over the cylinder, and the shroud that goes under the flywheel shroud. If anyone can send me some pics of what these parts look like I would apritiate.