Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Typically, if you have to retune it with a bar on, your PTO seal is shot
Okay, so just to describe again. Because felt like prime goes in runs it’s course and either carburetor not drawing ( might be as I tightened one side of carburetor and may have disturbed the impulse hole) as it runs bar/chain for duration of prime with no issues. Also thought low had to be adjusted higher to compensate for drag but carb so damn frustrating, the slightest change and its back to balancing.
I hope not a bad seal, ordered it months and months ago. When I went to put on noticed it had a curled lip. But not convinced it not carb, saw feels solid . If it is seal will replace and replace carburetor. Going over yours and others conversations about carburetor options.
Also oilers work fine, I thought turned all the up but were turned down all the way. 😂

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is this Bigmac, moved saw from place to place to remove bar and heard a rattle. Found my condenser had come loose , snapped and laid flat. No indication it came loose. Have a spare from a 795. It is larger, should make no difference as long as it fits in housing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The condenser from the 795 should be fine. I've check quite a few from different saws and vintages and found them all to be around
0.2 - 0.22 µf.

Just because this is a McCulloch thread, I went through this 2014 for a local guy this week.

20240904_102229.jpg

In addition to replacing the fuel lines, fuel filter, purge bulb, oil line (tank to pump) and a kit in the carburetor I had to install the gasket between the insulator and the cylinder (it was totally missing...) and replace the crankshaft seals. It now behaves as it should.

Mark

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The condenser from the 795 should be fine. I've check quite a few from different saws and vintages and found them all to be around
0.2 - 0.22 µf.

Just because this is a McCulloch thread, I went through this 2014 for a local guy this week.

View attachment 432138

In addition to replacing the fuel lines, fuel filter, purge bulb, oil line (tank to pump) and a kit in the carburetor I had to install the gasket between the insulator and the cylinder (it was totally missing...) and replace the crankshaft seals. It now behaves as it should.

Mark
Seems like quite a bit of work for a newer plastic McCulloch.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the condenser on a points type ignition it's function in life is to prevent the points from flashing over .As long as you have a space to intall it just about any should work .I once used a Delco from a battery coil ignition for a Fergusen tractor on a Cat D4 with an Eiseman magneto which I mounted externally connected to the shorting terminal .< kill switch .
Another time I soldered a large condenser to the points assembley on a Homelite xl-2 or whatever that double triggered little saw was called .That assembley was made to be changed as a unit but finding one was about as rare as a hen's tooth .Some times you just have to think outside of the box .

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believed condensers from cars are .22uf too.