Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See now im like Ed.
I wasnt aware they made a 3.7 Timmie bear.

Im sorry for being misinformed.
The 600 series saws arent my favorite, mostly for their awkwark feel and low power -to-weight ratio.

An early 10 series saw like a 6-10, 7-10, 10-10, and the Pm 55 variants were saws i'd never ran either.
Grew up on a 1010S, PM700 and the later 10 series saws.
Most with chain brakes and long clutch covers that added weight, but they still had percieved torque and power.

Once i got to run a 7-10A and an SP81 i fully understood torque and power to weight.😁
Same with a PM55. Lighter and faster.

SP125 is a different animal, but i understand the balance and feel-in-hand it has versus a Stihl 088/881 or 3120XP. Just a better feel overall.
All those years and technology still cant surpass what McCulloch did over 50 years ago.
They made a saw that was easy to run and had the power to do it for the biggest jobs and all day long.
Mcculloch was way ahead of there time,

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed, i had a mint Timmie bear that i sold to my next-door neighbor.
He said it ran great for a tank of gas or two, then just wouldnt start back up after he got it hot and ran it dry.
I took it to check it out, and it had no spark.
Replaced the plug, and it ran fine.

The saw was given to me because it had no spark.
I replaced the plug and it started and ran fine.

Told the neighbor to buy a spare plug and try that before he called me back.

Ive heard of the 600 series being picky about plugs. That might be all of your problem.

10 series dont seem to care much about the state of a spark plug.
Ive run some cruddy and old plugs that i would have never thought would run in those, but every 610/650/timber bear ive had wanted a new or like-new plug to make reliable spark.
That was going to be my 1st course of action - replace the plug.I've found that starting with the simple things is the best way to go.If that doesn't work,then I'll disconnect the switch,& lastly replace the module.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was a bit trying today with the Timber Bear.I tried a different plug & still no fire,so I pulled the recoil & fuel tank assembly off.I found the culprit immediately - it had what looked to be an aftermarket ignition module in it (to me anyway).I pulled it off & put an older style module on,put it back together & it fired on the 1st pull.I pulled it again & it was running.I went to shut it off & it didn't.So,I had to pull it apart again thinking that either the switch wire had come off or the switch went bad.I just happened to see that the ground wire on the module was broken.I made up a crude looking wire & put it on,back together again & I now have a good running McBrick! The auto oiler even works! While I had the saw apart I noticed how clean it was inside,very little sawdust & oil. As you can see in the 2 pics of the saw the ignition module is green in color.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 6

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the the v4 wb37 saw up and running, i’m happy with how it’s running, it does have some funky harmonics, though, the V4 swap makes it gain another 2000 RPM, roughly of power band, and that definitely changes things! Look at how much the chrome cover vibrates at full revs! It’s still tight when I check the bolts after running it

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the the v4 wb37 saw up and running, i’m happy with how it’s running, it does have some funky harmonics, though, the V4 swap makes it gain another 2000 RPM, roughly of power band, and that definitely changes things! Look at how much the chrome cover vibrates at full revs! It’s still tight when I check the bolts after running it

Awesome Nathan! Sounds great. Yeah, the spark cover helps with the housing vibration some.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome Nathan! Sounds great. Yeah, the spark cover helps with the housing vibration some.
Thanks Jacob, I have a new spark boot cover, it is for a cart, but it’s not the deep cover that I prefer, it fits, but is a little tight!! I’m also having some issues with the starter paws wanting to stick open or get loose, I had to switch to a chrome cover with a newer starter ratchet. But the paws have a mind of their own! lol it’s been a while since I put this together, it’s got a yellow flywheel, I’m not even sure if it’s a +5°

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m curious to see what you think of this one, this block has no porting at all

I can't wait to run it! I'll bring my .060" over 101AA that has a little porting. It doesn't turn up real high but it's got a ton of torque.

I run a ten-tooth sprocket on it.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't wait to run it! I'll bring my .060" over 101AA that has a little porting. It doesn't turn up real high but it's got a ton of torque.

I think I understand more how you like to run your saws! I might throw a 9 pin on this one, I can dawg in pretty hard on it now

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job Nathan ,sounds awesome, I need to run some big girls now. Lol 😆

Last edited:

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You guys on the the west coast have all the cool stuff, Lol nice Mr J ,

cinci5

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was a bit trying today with the Timber Bear.I tried a different plug & still no fire,so I pulled the recoil & fuel tank assembly off.I found the culprit immediately - it had what looked to be an aftermarket ignition module in it (to me anyway).I pulled it off & put an older style module on,put it back together & it fired on the 1st pull.I pulled it again & it was running.I went to shut it off & it didn't.So,I had to pull it apart again thinking that either the switch wire had come off or the switch went bad.I just happened to see that the ground wire on the module was broken.I made up a crude looking wire & put it on,back together again & I now have a good running McBrick! The auto oiler even works! While I had the saw apart I noticed how clean it was inside,very little sawdust & oil. As you can see in the 2 pics of the saw the ignition module is green in color.
Just an fyi I didn't forget about the 650. It's still in a box. I just haven't gotten it to you.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

How long off bar do you run with the 10 pin? I have a 40” roller nose on my all stock 101aa and it runs a 9 pin pretty nice, I’ll bring it too.

I think I will throw on a nine on the 101a,

with the wb37, it’s got the lowest exhaust port of all my blocks, I might have to put a different flywheel on it as well! The starter paws are in bad shape

I’d really like to get a home light 650 carb on this saw and see if I can get the choke and everything hooked up, just hard finding that carb

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long off bar do you run with the 10 pin? I have a 40” roller nose on my all stock 101aa and it runs a 9 pin pretty nice, I’ll bring it too.

I think I will throw on a nine on the 101a,

with the wb37, it’s got the lowest exhaust port of all my blocks, I might have to put a different flywheel on it as well! The starter paws are in bad shape

I’d really like to get a home light 650 carb on this saw and see if I can get the choke and everything hooked up, just hard finding that carb
I believe I have a brand new 650/750 carb in my inventory. if you're interested.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag