MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just glad I dont live that close to you Mark.
You would probably get too much of my money...
Where do you find all of these cool toys?

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A pair of Geared Uglies:

w85J3yw.jpg

Found the 895 on Arborist Forum, bought it from Sawman. Nice saw . Needs a paint job but the internals are in good shape.

Pulled the bar, dog, handlebar off today, gave it a wash with mineral spirits. Old handlebar had a nasty bend.

ZQSQlSe.jpg

Found a NOS handlebar on Ebay, was looking continuously for over a year when one popped up. Had the NOS Adel clamps in my parts bin. The big 'ol California Redwood dog will stay off as I will be using the saw in a few days with my 36 inch Alaskan Mill. Saw came with a 42 inch bar, I have a 50 inch roller Nose for it. Will put one of my 36 inch sprocket nose bars on for the milling. Has a 404 Sprocket.

ZcGEMum.jpg

The 1-61 was found on Portland OR Craigs list last year. The saw came with the original Mac hard nose bar, and the first & only chain that came with the saw. Chain is 1/2" pitch McCulloch chain. So this saw has had very little use. Wonder why someone would put 20 inch bar on a saw like this!

bkBEBfB.jpg

jmRn2ny.jpg

ZCVqANg.jpg

mp1I9qb.jpg

I have a 36 inch roller nose bar for the 1-61. As soon as I get to making up a rim adapter I will install the 36 and give the saw a run with 404 chain.

Last edited:

Svlmustang

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Amen to that. Bought a 25 that needed a recoil starter. Now there are 5 or 6 around here...
Lol. I bought one from a saw shop and also have one getting shipped from ebay. Along with a pro mac 700.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dream - How about we cut out the middle man, forget about shipping costs, and you just send me your money....

That particular saw came to me a few years ago from a young fellow in Missouri, we had some sort of trade take place and it has been setting in the attic since then in need of bar stud replacement. I wanted to have a few 10 Series saws available for sale in the museum but feel I need to offer ones with brakes unless I know the buyer well. When I pressure tested the crankcase both the PTO side seal and the crankcase seam were leaking. Once I had it opened up and check the ring end gap I decided to go all the way on the repair. The cylinder is beautiful and the piston was very nice so in spite of the rough exterior, this should be a very solid saw.

Mark

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finished putting this one back together today, should be a good runner once the Red Kote fully cures. New rings, seals, carburetor rebuild, pretty much the works.

View attachment 257214

View attachment 257215

I will probably put it in the museum with a "For Sale" sign and see what happens.

Mark
That permutation of the 10-10 A is a very good saw, after you pointed out some of the differences from the earlier models to me it makes sense why I like these. Those are great all around work saws .

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having a small problem with my sp81 carb...
Its a adjustable one, check valve was completely shot, so i made another one from transparent (thing) material, and it worked for few days, after that it appeared like stuck or "glued", wasnt working anymore.
Then i tried with klingerit, worked for 10 minutes and then same story again.
Which material do you guys recommend for a check valve?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 10-10's go back a long time and McCulloch must have made a million of them .I think I might have one right hand start left because I had cannibalized several for the crank shafts for a 6-10 which is a story for a later subject .I have several like the above picture and one of the last ever made which is I think a super and slightly larger displacement .That one sat almost unused having been purchased by a tree trimmer who retired and used it only a few times .I'll have to look at it again but I think it has the original Mac branded chisel chain . As such it's pristine but again it's a shelf queen . It's kind of a shame not to use them but quite honestly I have much faster saws to choose from .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the carb for a SP 81 we just normally buy a rebuild kit rather than try to make parts .It's either a Tillotson HS or a Walbro SDC .on occasion some model of Zama .I'm not sure how things might be other places but on this side of the pond they are inexpensive .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having a small problem with my sp81 carb...
Its a adjustable one, check valve was completely shot, so i made another one from transparent (thing) material, and it worked for few days, after that it appeared like stuck or "glued", wasnt working anymore.
Then i tried with klingerit, worked for 10 minutes and then same story again.
Which material do you guys recommend for a check valve?

Pm me your address. I have what you need.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did get a pic of the Pro 10-10 S which was the last of that series .I was mistaken about the chisel chain ,it's a semi chisel with guard links because actual chisel in this area was after 1998 .It's never been sharpened by the looks of it .

Attachments

• DSCN0818[1].JPG
    DSCN0818[1].JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 10

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 10-10s is nice, but the one Mark is selling is just a 54cc electronic ignition version, the motor has a casting bump for a decomp button usually ,but its no 57cc beast.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 10-10s is nice, but the one Mark is selling is just a 54cc electronic ignition version, the motor has a casting bump for a decomp button usually ,but its no 57cc beast.
I'm not so certain that few extra cc's make that much difference .I've also got one exactly like Mark and quite frankly I don't see much difference between it and the pic I posted .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not so certain that few extra cc's make that much difference .I've also got one exactly like Mark and quite frankly I don't see much difference between it and the pic I posted .

Its not the displacement as much as the porting. All the 54cc saws i have been in are iron bore 6 transfer engines. All of the 57cc saws are chrome bore and use a big transfer similar to a 7-10 or 700. Thats why they run different.

But i agree Al, i never really felt one run better than the other. Im sure with a stopwatch though...

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've just noticed that the S will pull a longer bar alittle better in the upper rpm range.
I've also run an 8 pin sprocket on mine which doesn't seem to bother it. The 8 pin also makes it feel more modern with chain speed increase. ( to me , but I'm only a novice and haven't cut on a pro level).

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not exactly certain how many 10-10's I have .However given a choice of those or a 700 which weigh the same obviously I would opt for the 700's .Quite frankly even those don't get much use sad to say .I really should take the time to give them more exercise . I'd guess after all this time I'd need to rebuild the carbs .Another thing for the to-do list which is getting longer it seems .
I've got the bones of another 700 that got needled .The cylinder lived,the piston was dead on arrival ,toast .Eventually I might find another and build up another saw from the bones of two .It won't be the first and I doubt the last,I've done a few already .

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pm me your address. I have what you need.
Im from europe so no shipping will be worth it... thanks anyways!

Ive ordered a rebuild kit, still isn't delivered, but it doesnt appear like they have a check valve included.

Meanwhile, i dont know how i didnt figure this out earlier, but i had spare transparent/meshy type membrane lying around, and the old check valve was from the same material...so i cut out a small piece that fits, put back that brass thingy and 3D printed welch plug (PETG), works like a charm! Cant feel any leakage at all while sucking through.