The Official Farming Thread...

BlackGreyhound

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hung some more fence through the woods for the sheep. About 3/4 done fencing in about 8 acres. Ran into some Snowdrops blooming.

Attachments

• 20230226_173609.jpg
    20230226_173609.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 332862743_947072882966943_4964561809784494090_n.jpg
    332862743_947072882966943_4964561809784494090_n.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230226_143247.jpg
    20230226_143247.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 8

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had some thunderstorms last night, I dumped 2.25” out of the gauge this morning. The slop in the cattle lots is going to be deep but it’s nice to see most of the ponds full this early in the year.

After doing a bit of sightseeing this morning most terraces are full & ponds are full or running over the emergency spillways. That bit of frost kept it all on top so the runoff was good.

The river was up & rolling pretty good this morning also.

E9DA3148-8A44-4601-BBB3-F1C3A16ABF9B.jpeg

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Priced 3-1-2 fertilizer this morning. Looking at $650 a ton and I can get grazon added at 13.50 an acre. Going to be writing a big check in a couple of weeks the way it looks.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was 950.00 a ton last fall here.
I believe it was about that in this area last year as well. I was talking to my dad tonight and we were trying to remember what the cost was and he thought it was over $4700 for 5 tons. I didn't cut my field last year for hay, but we are going to cut extra at dad's this year.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I could send you some. We had 2" overnight. Crazy rain so far this year. Hope you are getting better Mark.
Not any better Larry
Goin to orthopedic surgeon next Thursday to see what my options are

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not any better Larry
Goin to orthopedic surgeon next Thursday to see what my options are
I hope your options are good and easy on you. Back pain suggs! I will keep my aches and pains the way they are, as long as I don't have back pain.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bit of a long one. Been getting calls for last couple of weeks that my phone puts over to voicemail, suspected spam. Getting voicemails, we need to talk to you about a proposal with your land, etc. Block number, erase voicemail, go my merry way. Then they started calling my parents 3 or 4 times a day trying to contact me. Unknown number, goes to answering machine. I told dad next time they call tell them you don't know who I am and to stop calling. He answers and asks what they want and apparently it is for a proposed solar array farm. Paying $1200 for option prior to building and $50,000 after construction per year. Had a lot of thoughts on this and did some number crunching in my head as I was working. Decided they can pound sand. I am hoping to retire from the day job in just over 6 years and I want to see cows on my property when I walk out the door, not some type of industrial setting. If I were to do this I would lose all control over my land for the rest of my life since it would require a long term lease. I could no longer hunt, which is one of the things I am looking forward to be able to do since I won't be tied to a work schedule any longer. Being an energy company I probably couldn't even be able to walk into my field. I wonder how many people would look at that $50,000 and think how great that would be and not think about the taxes that one would have to pay, and what you would actually would walk away with. With my current job, loss of farm revenue, tax write-off for farm operation, higher tax bracket resulting in paying into taxes, I would be lucky to walk away with $10,000 of it, if even that much. I think the most important thing for me is my peace of mind which is worth more that some fly-by-night company's, government taxpayer rip-off.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder how many people would look at that $50,000 and think how great that would be and not think about the taxes that one would have to pay, and what you would actually would walk away with.

A lot more than one would think. You a spot on with thinking it thru all the way & thinking about your piece of mind with having your own land & being able to utilize it the way you want.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bit of a long one. Been getting calls for last couple of weeks that my phone puts over to voicemail, suspected spam. Getting voicemails, we need to talk to you about a proposal with your land, etc. Block number, erase voicemail, go my merry way. Then they started calling my parents 3 or 4 times a day trying to contact me. Unknown number, goes to answering machine. I told dad next time they call tell them you don't know who I am and to stop calling. He answers and asks what they want and apparently it is for a proposed solar array farm. Paying $1200 for option prior to building and $50,000 after construction per year. Had a lot of thoughts on this and did some number crunching in my head as I was working. Decided they can pound sand. I am hoping to retire from the day job in just over 6 years and I want to see cows on my property when I walk out the door, not some type of industrial setting. If I were to do this I would lose all control over my land for the rest of my life since it would require a long term lease. I could no longer hunt, which is one of the things I am looking forward to be able to do since I won't be tied to a work schedule any longer. Being an energy company I probably couldn't even be able to walk into my field. I wonder how many people would look at that $50,000 and think how great that would be and not think about the taxes that one would have to pay, and what you would actually would walk away with. With my current job, loss of farm revenue, tax write-off for farm operation, higher tax bracket resulting in paying into taxes, I would be lucky to walk away with $10,000 of it, if even that much. I think the most important thing for me is my peace of mind which is worth more that some fly-by-night company's, government taxpayer rip-off.
Tell them to go buy some land, and do what they want. Clearly owning the land is a negative for them, otherwise they would buy some. Good for you for seeing through the smoke and mirrors.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot more than one would think. You a spot on with thinking it thru all the way & thinking about your piece of mind with having your own land & being able to utilize it the way you want.

Tell them to go buy some land, and do what they want. Clearly owning the land is a negative for them, otherwise they would buy some. Good for you for seeing through the smoke and mirrors.
Land to the west of me is owned by a land and cattle company that is currently rented out and they are talking to them about leasing. With no houses or buildings on it, they may do the lease. I may end up with panels to the land beside me, but not out my back door. It may also be one of those things, with me withholding, it will never be feasible. I just hope it doesn't turn into one of those things where they buy off the county and try to go the imminent domain route.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Land to the west of me is owned by a land and cattle company that is currently rented out and they are talking to them about leasing. With no houses or buildings on it, they may do the lease. I may end up with panels to the land beside me, but not out my back door. It may also be one of those things, with me withholding, it will never be feasible. I just hope it doesn't turn into one of those things where they buy off the county and try to go the imminent domain route.
Pretty sure eminent domain can only be used for non-commercial need. Generally under the public good requirement. Like highways and pipelines. Though there was a case in NH for a hotel, not sure whatever happened with that one. I think you will be fine.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure eminent domain can only be used for non-commercial need. Generally under the public good requirement. Like highways and pipelines. Though there was a case in NH for a hotel, not sure whatever happened with that one. I think you will be fine.
With the "green energy" garbage that is being pushed every where, the argument could be made that it is in the best interest of the people. I'm not too worried about it going that route, but it does make me wonder who the money is behind it.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the "green energy" garbage that is being pushed every where, the argument could be made that it is in the best interest of the people. I'm not too worried about it going that route, but it does make me wonder who the money is behind it.
My guess would be vanguard or black rock. Seems they have a license to print money, so they buy just about everything. Interest rates are going up, so better places for quick profits than real estate. Nothing green about solar either. I won't go there though.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My guess would be vanguard or black rock. Seems they have a license to print money, so they buy just about everything. Interest rates are going up, so better places for quick profits than real estate. Nothing green about solar either. I won't go there though.
IMG_20210605_072230.jpg
There is very little green about any green energy. Input costs vs. gains are so unequal that the only way projects happen is by the government stealing from the taxpayers to subsidize the projects. Case in point, there is a line of these about 15 miles north of the house running through farm land. Big government paid over half the cost for these and the local utility company increased our rates to offset the cost on their side. My understanding is that it requires 100 years to pay for one of these based off their output, but they only have a 50 year life span. Recycle costs are so prohibitive on the blades that they bury them in the sand in the desert when they are disposed of.