Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine started laying here again last week. Got a few double yolks too.
I thought my chickens were not going to lay anymore, then all of a sudden, production. My chickens are 4 to 5 years old, and I can't replace them, until they are all dead. (They picked up a respiratory illness and carry it). Any new chicks would get the illness and die. So we have to ride these hens out. The guineas are immune, and we have 8 females, so we are good for eggs when they lay, soon to October. Wife has them tricked into laying where she wants them to. It is a secret how to do this. Lol

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought my chickens were not going to lay anymore, then all of a sudden, production. My chickens are 4 to 5 years old, and I can't replace them, until they are all dead. (They picked up a respiratory illness and carry it). Any new chicks would get the illness and die. So we have to ride these hens out. The guineas are immune, and we have 8 females, so we are good for eggs when they lay, soon to October. Wife has them tricked into laying where she wants them to. It is a secret how to do this. Lol
I think it has to do with hours of daylight. I moved my chickens this year where they are away from the street light. They layed all winter long in the old location.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it has to do with hours of daylight. I moved my chickens this year where they are away from the street light. They layed all winter long in the old location.
I think mine are just slowing down. My oldest hen will be 6 this spring. We accept whatever they give us. No streetlights here, and we don't try to fool them with lighting. Every animal here is spoiled, the food lady takes care of everybody. This year we had a long drought for eggs, much longer than previous years. I thought they may have aged past egg production. To my surprise, they started back up. I think this place is like the island of misfit toys, but misfit animals. Lol

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope. We probably have about 80 round bales left.
I have 4, I was hoping to use them up. Will unroll them to get rid of them. No more rounds for me, I hope. Will clean up the waste once things are growing more.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope. We probably have about 80 round bales left.
Less than a dozen. We did a hard cull last year. Cut back to feeding half bale every three days here. Cutting it too close but we couldn't justify paying $100 a bale after the lack of rain in the area last year.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Less than a dozen. We did a hard cull last year. Cut back to feeding half bale every three days here. Cutting it too close but we couldn't justify paying $100 a bale after the lack of rain in the area last year.

Damn. That's serious low this time of year. I'm pretty sure we have enough. Around 50 head now.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn. That's serious low this time of year. I'm pretty sure we have enough. Around 50 head now.
We usually bale my field for some extra, but this year I had several head on it. Dad started feeding early because of how dry it turned. Got most of them moved to my place now and will finish moving in the next month or two. Got some vacation coming in a few weeks so I will start the fertilizing for hay and plan on cutting more of dad's land this year. Going to pick up some annual rye and have it mixed in with it so it will help with some of the areas that don't produce as well. Also going to cut new area so I will have grazon added to it as well.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many head have you got now Tony?
30 mamas at mine and about 10 at dads, two bulls and about 15 head of younger stuff as well between the two places. Got a few older cows to cull yet, just waiting to get calves off and some weight back on them, so they will probably go around May. Got some good blood line going on now and getting gentle animals was a main goal. I will start keeping heifers and try to rebuild to around 65 to 70 mamas within the next 4 years.