Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hope you’re right
I also hope I am right but as my wife and her mother always said to me.........well your just wrong . :D

I am not sure what year it was but I am thinking it was around 2012 or so. It was real wet here early. We got all our stuff in but a neighbor did not. He had a wet hole that was right up against the levee and the seep water would not go away. He planted beans around it and left it. Of course the water shut off like a tight spigot when it was past the planting deadline. The river dropped and it dried up. I knew I was going to be short on hay and since it was only 2 miles away I asked if I could till it and drill millet into it. He said he would gladly let me but he was able to take the prevented planting payment on it. He said if I wanted to I could drill the wet hole in one of his fields down the pumping station road as for whatever reason it did not qualify for prevented planting payment. Well my sons and I went and took a look. It was a good distance from home but we moved equipment down there and commenced to wasting fuel and making fist sized clods. I disced it lightly to open it up and dry it a bit. All I did was make clods. It did dry though.......into boulders. I worked it and worked it. The disc did nothing. The harrowgator did nothing. The field cultivator was useless. I finally worked it every direction other than Sunday with the cultimulcher. It was still a mess. I drilled the millet into rock hard clods. I do not think we got more than 0.3" rain the rest of the summer. I gave up driving down there to look as it never germinated. He told me later it finally did germinate about the time he was cutting beans.

The cows lost weight that winter

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240627_073437.jpg
IMG_20240627_073447.jpg
Somebody heard the 4-wheeler this morning and wanted some range cubes. Bad thing is after he finished those he came looking for me again for seconds. Followed me for almost half a mile and drug along the younger bull with him to the house.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 424144
View attachment 424145
Somebody heard the 4-wheeler this morning and wanted some range cubes. Bad thing is after he finished those he came looking for me again for seconds. Followed me for almost half a mile and drug along the younger bull with him to the house.
I quit hand feeding my bull because they get that way. I didn’t like it much.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I quit hand feeding my bull because they get that way. I didn’t like it much.
I hand feed the some of the cows but would only dump out some cubes into a trough or on the ground for the bulls. Got a couple old cows that I try to give a few cubes to out in the field and now the others are beginning to associate four wheeler with food. Once they figure out there isn't any, no problem. Not sure yet on the boys though, I think they would burn through two or three bags a time without hesitation.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hand fed cows 365 days a year. I also called cows and hogs.
I have called cows from distances folks would think is unimaginable.
They are no different than a coon dog although if a dog gets out of earshot he will scent his way back home. Cows will just look for more cows

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At work I get around on a Honda Rancher. I’ve been putting in 9 hour days of weed whacking fence lines with this Stihl FS94R straight shaft trimmer, I like it and might buy one myself eventually. The picture does not do justice as to how large the bull in the background is. There are bison at work too. IMG_8781.jpeg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hand fed cows 365 days a year. I also called cows and hogs.
I have called cows from distances folks would think is unimaginable.
They are no different than a coon dog although if a dog gets out of earshot he will scent his way back home. Cows will just look for more cows
My cows respond to me hollering too. If I’m loud enough they’ll come. “Cmoooooooon!!!” 😂. Had a city girl with me one night. (Lotta fun, lotta batshit crazy”. “Jake cows do not come to being called on”. She lost her mind when 30 showed up to the fence I was standing at. 😂 just a funny little story there

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cows respond to me hollering too. If I’m loud enough they’ll come. “Cmoooooooon!!!” 😂. Had a city girl with me one night. (Lotta fun, lotta batshit crazy”. “Jake cows do not come to being called on”. She lost her mind when 30 showed up to the fence I was standing at. 😂 just a funny little story there
lol, why the heck were u with a city girl? My grandma’s cows respond to us yelling too, my grandma uses the term “combossy” for all of them, and individually they somewhat know their names.

Reactions: Lnk

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol, why the heck were u with a city girl? My grandma’s cows respond to us yelling too, my grandma uses the term “combossy” for all of them, and individually they somewhat know their names.
Super pretty. Just crazy as hell. Fun till it wasnt

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lost another one today, again female.
Was alive 2 hours prior.
Down to one female.
As far as I can tell no wounds and no egg stuck in her butt.
IMG_20240629_185536.jpg
IMG_20240629_190421.jpg

This is not fun!
Always in the PM.
Maybe a combination of too hot (up to 40°C), too much moist in the air (really hard to breathe), exhausted from egg laying?
The drakes seem fine, they are 2 years old now.