Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a tree standing in the middle of some of the best land in our upper river bottom bay. It was always said to be a Pecan tree but I am not sure. I know around 25 years ago I looked around the base and saw what appeared to me to be Hickory nuts. Do you know how to identify a Pecan tree because I sure do not.
It will have pecans on it sometimes. LOL

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will have pecans on it sometimes. LOL
Except for the diligent crows and squirrels.
Do you know how to identify a Pecan tree because I sure do not.
They have fairly long and narrow leaves that grow exactly opposite from each other on a branch, which I guess is fairly standard for nut trees. I think the pecans are longer and more cylindrical than hickory nuts.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to take the wheeler out and take a look tonight but there is another chitstorm of a storm blowing in now. They are saying 3 inches tonight but the winds are looking rough. The band is very wide .

1719965689178.png

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a tree standing in the middle of some of the best land in our upper river bottom bay. It was always said to be a Pecan tree but I am not sure. I know around 25 years ago I looked around the base and saw what appeared to me to be Hickory nuts. Do you know how to identify a Pecan tree because I sure do not.
This fall take a picture of the nut from two angles and a picture of the bark. Plus a picture of the shelled nut if possible There are several hundred recognized cultivars and more than that of natives / seedlings.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw they had several twister warnings out over there & flash flood warnings clear back to around the Hoskey Hills. Mark said he had .60” this morning & it has rained all day there.

Stay safe.
I miss Mark.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw they had several twister warnings out over there & flash flood warnings clear back to around the Hoskey Hills. Mark said he had .60” this morning & it has rained all day there.

Stay safe.
You been to Hoskey's have ya. Helluva good time there.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
12:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hanging in there.

He said their crops were looking good, needing some dry weather to get the hay done.

He was/is haggling with insurance about rehab & medical stuff, insurance is being a pia.
Sounds about par for the fuggin course. Glad to hear he’s kicking. Tell him the fellas askin bout him

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never been to the GTG’s, I sold Mark some hay. I visited a bit with Mark, Ron & Leroy.
I remember he used to have a few of Stakhands in both Hesston and Deere flavors. He also had a Deere 440 skidder.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hanging in there.

He said their crops were looking good, needing some dry weather to get the hay done.

He was/is haggling with insurance about rehab & medical stuff, insurance is being a pia.
I hate insurance companies. In 1989 I was in a bad auto accident. I laid in a ditch under the car all night until a hired man found me. The ambulance took me to Muscatine IA. My cousin was the ER doc on duty that morning. He looked at me and said well "Bill you are in deep do-do" Dad came from work and asked if I would ever walk again. Ole Doc G said "I have no damn idea but he is going to Iowa City". I spent three weeks in University of Iowa Hospitals. I am in Illinois but the Iowa City is about a hour away. Of course they got me a there a bit quicker...... Insurance did good then.

Then in October 2022 I got burned on a Saturday evening. I knew I was in deep chit but I live alone and was not sure what to do. I did not want to bother anyone. I waited until the next day which of course was Sunday hoping I would be OK but it was bad. There was no way I could get to the ER myself and our ambulance service is all volunteer. Sunday is family day so bothering them on family day is not great. I ended up asking my son if he could take me. He said of course. The 75 year old ER doc said it did not look that bad and sent me home with some pain killers and told me to follow up with my family practice doc. He should have sent me to Iowa City. I followed up with my family doc on Wednesday and she said "get your arse to Iowa City". She got on the phone and tried but the insurance fought it. Well it got much worse and I suffered a week trying to get my insurance company to work with Iowa City. They were both asses!. I went back to the ER the following Sunday and saw the same Doc. I told him flat out I was refusing to leave. I told my son to go home for supper as I was not leaving. I wanted to be sent to the Iowa City burn unit. It was a bit tenuous around there. The doc agreed I had to go to a burn unit but Iowa City would not take me based on insurance. I ended up being sent to burn unit ICU 3 hours away outside Chicago.

I was there 3 weeks. It was all because of damn insurance.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It rained most of the night. I have been saying.....1993 all over again and folks called me nuts.

Yeah you should see the river