Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My father in law raised all sorts of birds too. Turkeys, geese, pigeons, etc.

Once I was under a truck working on it, and I felt that feeling of something looking at me. I turned my head to look out from under the truck, and one of Charlie's big gobblers took a chunk out of my forehead with it's beak. That wasn't the worst of it though. I busted my head but good on the frame rail when I recoiled from the assaulting turkey.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s over several years, 75% of people have their own balers now so the custom baling business is slowed down considerably in the last 10 - 15 years.

Dad has been custom baling for 35 years or more & ran the neighbors tractor & baler for several years prior to buying both from the neighbor.
My brother just quit custom baling last year, he had been doing it since he graduated high school so about 18 years.

It wasn’t unusual for them to bale 5k each in a summer. A lot of Dads were twine tied before net wrap was in use or popular.

the-same over here most people got there own round balers the only things
That the contractors use now is the all in one round baler and wrapper
And the big squares and wrappers

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If any of you fellas need a diesel generator look into the Onans. They’ve held up the best for us. Merelli lasted 2000 hours. Not very impressed. Repacked or re wound the generator and got 1500 more out of it.

Agree with dat Onan is good kit reliable and pretty economical

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have had a few Rhoad Island Red roosters over the years. One was given to us by Glenda's sister. It was so mean that it was dangerous to her grandkids. He came after Glenda a few times, so she carried a stick to smack it with if it got riled up. She came in the house one morning and said she killed that rooster. Asked me to get it and clean it. When I walked up to it, it raised its head and looked around. But it was at least an hour before it managed to get back on its feet. A few days later and he was back to his mean self. My daughter walked around the house and he came after her....flogged her all the way up her side. Ripped her pants, and shirt with its spurs. That's when I killed it....and yeah.....it was tough.

Ole roosters are good for soup

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My father in law raised all sorts of birds too. Turkeys, geese, pigeons, etc.

Once I was under a truck working on it, and I felt that feeling of something looking at me. I turned my head to look out from under the truck, and one of Charlie's big gobblers took a chunk out of my forehead with it's beak. That wasn't the worst of it though. I busted my head but good on the frame rail when I recoiled from the assaulting turkey.
That gobbler would have been going into a stew pot right then and there lol

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20220810_113323.jpg

So this RIR rooster finally started acting like a rooster over the weekend. My 8 year old son chases him relentlessly, trying to force the cockerel to like him and be his pet. On Sunday, my boy started chasing the bird again, only to have the rooster fluff up and start chasing my son instead. Now, I've told the kid to knock it off a hundred times, but you know how that goes.... I let him get chased for about a minute and then I got involved. I'm not gonna lie, I was laughing the whole time.

The wife sent me this picture today, and it seemed like it needed to be shared here.

FB_IMG_1660093214638.jpg

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Added a little 8” ledge for em to get in the boxes. Seems like they’re more willing to use the boxes now.

20220810_154446.jpg

I had read somewhere that they like a ledge or perch of some sort to make it easier to get in and out. This was what I came up with. Still waiting on that first egg, but it should be any day now

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 345682

I had read somewhere that they like a ledge or perch of some sort to make it easier to get in and out. This was what I came up with. Still waiting on that first egg, but it should be any day now
Mine seem to like the bushes or some old crumpled up cardboard box lol, they rarely lay where I want them to. I’ve tried destroying their “nests” to get them to just use the nest boxes, but that just makes them not lay for a couple weeks and then they pick another spot in the bushes… so I just gave up and I need to go into the bushes everyday to get my eggs lol