The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They released the CRP ground around here Aug. 1 so my brother bought back about 60-70 acres. We buzzed it off a couple days ago, then got about .20” of rain yesterday & started rolling it up today. I knocked out 104 bales before I caught a whiff off something hot & he saw a bit of smoke as he was raking & flagged me down. A bearing in the top roller chit the bed so I headed to the house to hose things down, I made it about 50 yards when the entire right side of the tractor got coated in hydraulic oil. A fitting that goes directly into the pump busted, so she is still parked in the field leaking oil & cooling down in the sun & wind.

I was running a 4440 & JD baler
My brother finished up raking & was heading to get the 7410 & Super M to finish baling.
He likes the Deere balers, he says they make a denser bale.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t hate the green balers. I’ve got a new Holland because that’s what I found at the time. I imagine when I shop balers again it’ll be whatever’s the best deal. I think they’re all within reason of one another.
I’d probably ask one of you hay fellas what’s hot and what’s not

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t hate the green balers. I’ve got a new Holland because that’s what I found at the time. I imagine when I shop balers again it’ll be whatever’s the best deal. I think they’re all within reason of one another.
I’d probably ask one of you hay fellas what’s hot and what’s not
My neighbor bought a Kubota large round baler, I don’t talk to him much but judging by appearances, either it’s a POS or he is just an idiot about hay prep & baling.
It’s a 50-50 toss up.
Every time I go by & he has been baling it’s sitting there with the gate up a big wad of chit inside it.

My Dad & brother had kicked out well over 100k bales in Vermeer’s. But recently my brother went back to a Deere after having one a few years ago.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor bought a Kubota large round baler, I don’t talk to him much but judging by appearances, either it’s a POS or he is just an idiot about hay prep & baling; it’s a 50-50 toss up.

My Dad & brother had kicked out well over 100k bales in Vermeer’s. But recently my brother went back to a Deere after having one a few years ago.
100k round bales? Wow! That is a lot of hay. Sorry, just a small hobby farmer not being able to wrap my head around that.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s over several years, 75% of people have their own balers now so the custom baling business is slowed down considerably in the last 10 - 15 years.

Dad has been custom baling for 35 years or more & ran the neighbors tractor & baler for several years prior to buying both from the neighbor.
My brother just quit custom baling last year, he had been doing it since he graduated high school so about 18 years.

It wasn’t unusual for them to bale 5k each in a summer. A lot of Dads were twine tied before net wrap was in use or popular.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s over several years, 75% of people have their own balers now so the custom baling business is slowed down considerably in the last 10 - 15 years.

Dad has been custom baling for 35 years or more & ran the neighbors tractor & baler for several years prior to buying both from the neighbor.
My brother just quit custom baling last year, he had been doing it since he graduated high school so about 18 years.

It wasn’t unusual for them to bale 5k each in a summer. A lot of Dads were twine tied before net wrap was in use or popular.
I bale around 300-350 squares/ year for my own use. Divided into 100k, is about 285 years. Not going to make it. Lol

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They released the CRP ground around here Aug. 1 so my brother bought back about 60-70 acres. We buzzed it off a couple days ago, then got about .20” of rain yesterday & started rolling it up today. I knocked out 104 bales before I caught a whiff off something hot & he saw a bit of smoke as he was raking & flagged me down. A bearing in the top roller chit the bed so I headed to the house to hose things down, I made it about 50 yards when the entire right side of the tractor got coated in hydraulic oil. A fitting that goes directly into the pump busted, so she is still parked in the field leaking oil & cooling down in the sun & wind.

My brother finished up raking & was heading to get the 7410 & Super M to finish baling.

They haven’t released our county yet [emoji2959]

Sent from Hoskey Hills

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sounds like you caught that bearing just in time. That happened to a friend but he had a leak on his gate cylinder and the bearingstartedthe bale on fire and it lit up the hydraulic fluid. He said he just had enough extinguisher to put out the fire but was seconds away from trying to unhook it.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you caught that bearing just in time. That happened to a friend but he had a leak on his gate cylinder and the bearingstartedthe bale on fire and it lit up the hydraulic fluid. He said he just had enough extinguisher to put out the fire but was seconds away from trying to unhook it.
Dad has burnt up 3 balers, one of the neighbors & two of his own. Two of them were while baling oats.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mowed the pasture off. Got a little splash of rain last night. Enough to take the time to change irrigation generators oil. Did the komatsu too. She’s old only on an ive seen with a komatsu Only has 800 hours on it