The Official Farming Thread...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
6:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If any of you fellas need a diesel generator look into the Onans. They’ve held up the best for us. Merelli lasted 2000 hours. Not very impressed. Repacked or re wound the generator and got 1500 more out of it.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
7:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8FFDEDCD-F865-42C3-815C-9769541FFA9A.jpeg Little fuggers are still going strong (4.5 weeks)
Bout time the hen weens them off I’d say. Out of the Orpingtons I raised (12 weeks old, 7 chicks), I got 5 roos so I’m glad I decided to let this hen raise chicks because I was hoping for more laying hens

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gentlemen got a nice 2” rain last night. Hope you boys waiting on water get yours soon. Helped some of our corn out big time. Might have some pretty good stuff in places now. Beans are just flowering so they really appreciated it. Feeling pretty spunky this morning

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 345224 Little fuggers are still going strong (4.5 weeks)
Bout time the hen weens them off I’d say. Out of the Orpingtons I raised (12 weeks old, 7 chicks), I got 5 roos so I’m glad I decided to let this hen raise chicks because I was hoping for more laying hens
Is that a different brand of Jen raising those chicks? These things (chickens) fascinate me. I used to raise 80000 at a time but it’s different keeping egg chickens. I really like them in a small scale. Hated them in a commercial setup.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a different brand of Jen raising those chicks? These things (chickens) fascinate me. I used to raise 80000 at a time but it’s different keeping egg chickens. I really like them in a small scale. Hated them in a commercial setup.
Rhode Island Red hen, Plymouth barred rock chicks. They are interesting creatures, when I’m bored I’ll just sit out and watch the chickens lol what’s the new drama on the chicken block today

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rhode Island Red hen, Plymouth barred rock chicks. They are interesting creatures, when I’m bored I’ll just sit out and watch the chickens lol what’s the new drama on the chicken block today
Yeah. You’re right. Old mans rooster was having a fit yesterday. Lol. I’ll pop a picture up.

they found his tomatoes. They’ll eat the whole damn red tomato. Like completely. Lol. They’re pretty cool. Pretty sure I’ll have a few birds the rest of my life after dabbling with them the last 6 or so months. Pretty cool.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
look like gold laced Orpingtons? Nice looking birds.
I’d be lying if I tried to tell you. I’m not sure. Got 2 all black hens 2 leghorn 5 Rhode Island hens. There’s 12 hens 2 roosters. That much I do know lol. Got em in March they just started laying

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 345224 Little fuggers are still going strong (4.5 weeks)
Barred rocks? Good dual purpose birds. My black Australorps have been excellent laying hens. Seems they make hawks nervous too, as they resemble crows from above.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to work late last night, so the wife had to lock up the birds by herself. Chickens are easy, they all just go to bed. The guineas, not so much. We have a couple broody guinea hens, that I kick off their nest every night. (That is another whole story). Well, they tend to defend the nest, but I have a method that works. My wife is afraid since we had roosters that would attack her, and she never played soccer. So. I get home at 10:30 last night and have to get the 4 guineas in their houses. They are night blind just like chickens.

What a good time. Like herding cats, blind cats.

Don't get guineas, stick with chickens. Lol

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’d be lying if I tried to tell you. I’m not sure. Got 2 all black hens 2 leghorn 5 Rhode Island hens. There’s 12 hens 2 roosters. That much I do know lol. Got em in March they just started laying

All black hens... Australorps? We got two black copper Maran pullets in spring and I wouldn't hesitate to get more of that breed next time around. Those two will walk up to a chair you are sitting in and jump up to perch on the arm or chair back. Very calm and social birds; My boys and wife love them.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20220806_085826.jpg
Our little coup with buff orpingtons, sapphire gems, Rhode Island reds, barred rocks, and black copper Marans. So far, they all get along well for being a mixed flock. The orpington rooster thinks he runs the show and hates my shins and ankles. We will see how that works out for him once he gets to be eating size

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 345276
Our little coup with buff orpingtons, sapphire gems, Rhode Island reds, barred rocks, and black copper Marans. So far, they all get along well for being a mixed flock. The orpington rooster thinks he runs the show and hates my shins and ankles. We will see how that works out for him once he gets to be eating size
My Rhode Island reds are nasty towards others. Very cruel. They love hanging around me though and I can pick them up no problem but they are always beating up the others and are very territorial of the food stations(why I have couple). I’m not even sure many roosters are more aggressive than the boss hen RIR. She can be across the yard and just give a stare and the others book it lol

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Rhode Island reds are nasty towards others. Very cruel. They love hanging around me though and I can pick them up no problem but they are always beating up the others and are very territorial of the food stations(why I have couple). I’m not even sure many roosters are more aggressive than the boss hen RIR. She can be across the yard and just give a stare and the others book it lol
When we got our first chicks, we got 5 RIR and 4 Barred Rocks. We also got 8 guinea keets. We had a rooster we named sweet pea, that would run back and forth between the chickens and the guineas(we free ranged them all at the time). Once the guineas hit puberty, the males were sick of sweet pea. They were tearing him up, 3 on 1. I broke it up and chewed off the male guineas. When I went back to check on sweet pea, he was gone. Seems he wasn't done fighting those guineas and he chased them around for another half hour. That was one tough bird. He became aggressive to me once, so I scored a goal with him. But the wife couldn't handle him, so we ate him. Did I mention he was a tough bird. Yup, tough right to the end. I never didn't enjoy fresh chicken. Wife slow cooked him, was still tough.

If I was ever allowed to have a rooster again, a RIR would be my choice. Fearless and tough.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have had a few Rhoad Island Red roosters over the years. One was given to us by Glenda's sister. It was so mean that it was dangerous to her grandkids. He came after Glenda a few times, so she carried a stick to smack it with if it got riled up. She came in the house one morning and said she killed that rooster. Asked me to get it and clean it. When I walked up to it, it raised its head and looked around. But it was at least an hour before it managed to get back on its feet. A few days later and he was back to his mean self. My daughter walked around the house and he came after her....flogged her all the way up her side. Ripped her pants, and shirt with its spurs. That's when I killed it....and yeah.....it was tough.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deer hunted on land in Gladwin, Mi that my father-in-law's best friend owned. He raised turkeys, goats, pigs and Percheron draft horses. Every time I left his house that big white gobbler would attack me and I had a gun or bow. One day at lunch George was talking about taking some pigs to Standish auction, I asked what a turkey went for, he replied anywhere between $10-25. I pulled $30 out of my wallet and said tomorrow that gobbler goes on your table! He made me promise not to shoot it, but father-in-law got a good laugh.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All black hens... Australorps? We got two black copper Maran pullets in spring and I wouldn't hesitate to get more of that breed next time around. Those two will walk up to a chair you are sitting in and jump up to perch on the arm or chair back. Very calm and social birds; My boys and wife love them.
58A4C126-CFED-4AAE-9DBF-685B3AC78F9B.jpeg 1907AA80-EB10-4789-B7EE-F139026FD00A.jpeg 3A44AAD6-37C5-4114-B133-CDD5D913973E.jpeg Not sure what that tan fluffy foot thing is either