The mighty stihl 064 and early 066

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep us posted. I generally like how those Cross P+Cs perform with a base gasket delete and a timing advance.

Perhaps that is what I needed for the 064 I rebuilt with the Cross P&C. It took sometime for me to figure out a de-comp for it, but after I did I could have probably gone back in and deleted the base gasket. I thought for 92cc it would have had a bit more grunt than it did. Some more compression and a slight decrease in transfer timing might have given it the extra torque I expected.

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep us posted. I generally like how those Cross P+Cs perform with a base gasket delete and a timing advance.

FYI Mike, I only had enough time to briefly test this saw, get it tuned (noting that it needed nearly 2 full turns out on the H to give it enough fuel to keep it below the 13500 limiter) before I had to freight it off urgently to a young fellow that was needing a saw during lockdown (while firewood is an essential service no chainsaw shops are open!). As I didn't install a decomp (I wanted to preserve the original top cover) I left the base gasket in and timing stock although I did install a Hyway pop-up. YES, it has lots of compression and is a bit of a bear to start without a decomp! I also opened the muffler right up. I was happy with how it ran but the real surprise for me was when my young friend sent me a video of it pulling a 42 inch bar with full comp chain stumping a huge cypress, and it was pulling it with authority.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
9:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI Mike, I only had enough time to briefly test this saw, get it tuned (noting that it needed nearly 2 full turns out on the H to give it enough fuel to keep it below the 13500 limiter) before I had to freight it off urgently to a young fellow that was needing a saw during lockdown (while firewood is an essential service no chainsaw shops are open!). As I didn't install a decomp (I wanted to preserve the original top cover) I left the base gasket in and timing stock although I did install a Hyway pop-up. YES, it has lots of compression and is a bit of a bear to start without a decomp! I also opened the muffler right up. I was happy with how it ran but the real surprise for me was when my young friend sent me a video of it pulling a 42 inch bar with full comp chain stumping a huge cypress, and it was pulling it with authority.
If it had the .62 main jet, a .64 or .66 would have given it more fuel and give you a little more H range of adjustment.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it had the .62 main jet, a .64 or .66 would have given it more fuel and give you a little more H range of adjustment.
That's very interesting, Im going to have a chance to revisit how the early Walbro carbys perform with a ported cylinder and I'm going to do a build thread on what's going to be a very interesting saw. I acquired an really tidy early RL 066 with a KS jug, unfortunately, someone had fitted incompatible aftermarket rings which had stripped the plating off:
20200724_124208_resized.jpg IMG-20200716-WA0007.jpg 1361324404.jpg
Anyway, I found a really nice early non-decomp Mahle Jug (thanks Kevin @huskihl :)) which has been sent to Scott @tree monkey to work his magic on. It'll hopefully be running an OEM 288 slug and be set up with a high output oiler for long bar work.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's very interesting, Im going to have a chance to revisit how the early Walbro carbys perform with a ported cylinder and I'm going to do a build thread on what's going to be a very interesting saw. I acquired an really tidy early RL 066 with a KS jug, unfortunately, someone had fitted incompatible aftermarket rings which had stripped the plating off:
View attachment 256975 View attachment 256976 View attachment 256977
Anyway, I found a really nice early non-decomp Mahle Jug (thanks Kevin @huskihl :)) which has been sent to Scott @tree monkey to work his magic on. It'll hopefully be running an OEM 288 slug and be set up with a high output oiler for long bar work.
Awesome. I like the old flat top stihls and I’m not even a stihl guy. I have a WJ67 on the 064/066 hybrid with a .64 jet that runs well and a mildly done up 064 with a WJ41 with a .70 or .74 (I forget which one) that works well too. The WJ67, WJ41 and WJ69 that I have here all have the same 19mm venturi. The only major difference I could tell was that the earlier WJ41 has a non removable H jet and slightly different low speed jetting. The best carb I’ve ran on a 1122 was a tillotson HS320. Dunno if it’s the fastest but it sure is a nice behaved carb for a worksaw.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 256975 View attachment 256976 View attachment 256977
Wow! What kind of rings??

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Geezzz. Hopefully not Caber (gasp!) Fcast or anything else.

If ya find out, let us know.
I can't see any markings at all on the rings (definitely no 'Caber' logo) and the piston doesn't have any identifying markings either! I'll have another look tonight and see if I can see anything - for everyone's peace of mind....

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't see any markings at all on the rings (definitely no 'Caber' logo) and the piston doesn't have any identifying markings either! I'll have another look tonight and see if I can see anything - for everyone's peace of mind....
Ring gap could’ve been too tight as well. Although they usually hook the exhaust port when that happens